What's new

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It'd be rather ironic if that were true because LSU fans were showing pictures of Nick Saban with a UofM jersey on.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
betooz -- JASON L. -- I haven't been online in a few days, so I'm late responding. USC did NOT go to three BCS Championship games in 5 years. The year they split the National Championship with LSU, USC was not in the title game. There is only ONE title game, and that year it happened to be LSU and Oklahoma. They won ONE title game and lost the following year to Texas. They may get back this year, but I don't think it's going to happen. The BCS Championship game at the Sugar Bowl this year will be LSU and Oklahoma, a rematch of the Sugar Bowl title game 4 years ago.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Shane, you're still worried about OU's secondary? Based on what? Based on the fact that no one has completed a long bomb on them in their first two games. Of course, it will happen eventually, but I agree that OU's secondary is scary. I just believe it's scary to other teams' offenses. I believe OU is the # 1 defense in the country, and no OU defense was ever THIS good THIS early in the season. And they'll only continue to get better.

Shane, I wonder if you're sold on Sam Bradford YET? His QB rating is over 200 for two games. He has thrown only 8 incomplete passes for two games. He has thrown zero interceptions for two games. And he's only a redshirt freshman. And one of those games was against Miami, that while not the Miami of old, still has a very good defense (8 returning starters from their top 10 defense last year), and simply got picked apart by OU's QB and receiving core.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not sold on Bradford yet as they really haven't had a test on him. His first test will be Texas who despite stumbling against TCU, showed glimpses of being a killer defense. He looks good but again untested IMHO.

OU's secondary hasn't been tested yet either. I think Tulsa will test it with a spread offense and a decent QB who can throw but I don't think Tulsa will generate any pass rush and if OU gets way ahead, then their secondary will be in prevent mode for a while proving nothing.

As I said, I'll be more convinced if they beat Texas(moreso if they stomp Texas).

OU and their fans(myself included) can't get cocky about them just yet. We'll end up like we did against K-state in the Big 12 title game.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Shane, recognizing that this could be one of the most special OU teams in a long time isn't cocky. But to say Miami's defense wasn't enough of a test for the new QB... I just don't know. I would expect to hear that from Mark May of ESPN. Instead Mark May said, "Before he's done, Sam Bradford will be the BEST quarterback Bob Stoops has ever had.

Rece: Josh Heupel won a National Championship.

Mark: The BEST quarterback Bob Stoops has ever had.

Rece: Jason White won a Heisman Trophy.

Mark: The BEST quarterback Bob Stoops had ever had.

Time will tell, but he is certainly off to an unprecedented start. By the way, Shane, and you may disagree, but I believe OU not only has more weapons on defense than Texas, but I think they have far more weapons on offense as well.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Michigan is off to a woeful season for one simple reason -- God doesn't approve of the Big Ten Network.

The awful truth has finally caught up with Michigan -- they're slow on defense and thus can't handle a mobile quarterback. It's been that way forever but they've always had at least a few playmakers who could make one or two key stops per game. This year they have nobody on defense. Throw in their usual shaky kicking game and a completely demoralized offense and you have a perfect storm of college football mediocrity.

Michigan doesn't recruit the kind of player who's accustomed to losing so this rough start will not be a character building, pull up by the bootstraps type of episode.

I've always respected Lloyd Carr as a person and have even been fortunate enough to speak with him a few times but it's a given that he's going to have to go. If the athletic boosters had enough power to oust Gary Moeller over a single alcohol-fueled faux pas then they can certainly manage to kick Carr to the curb as well. The new $226 million stadium renovation was just approved and they can't afford to have a losing team if they want to fill all those shiny new luxury boxes.

As a student I was proud of the way Michigan ran its football program but even that tradition of academic and personal excellence has been on shaky ground the past ten or so years. Lloyd Carr epitomizes the "Michigan Way" but sadly the college game has moved way beyond such quaint thinking. So Carr will leave only to be replaced by the type of coach who's willing to do whatever it takes to win, will feel no sense of obligation toward the school, and will feel even less obligation toward his so called student athletes. Then everybody will be happy and one more pillar of college football tradition will bite the dust.

Me, I think I'll just put on my raccoon coat, break out some tapes of classic Michigan games, and pretend that all is right with the world.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Ah, c'mon. I know, we (Virginia Tech), played very poorly and really didn't belong on that field Saturday night. I also realize that WVU has a pretty good team this year, but if you've had any interactions with the WVU program you would understand why I, as a Virginia Tech fan, am very offended by you confusing us.

Anyway, I'm not really offended, but it's a pretty bad insult if you're familiar with the two programs.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Seth, it would be like the head coach of Florida Atlantic referring to Oklahoma State as "Oklahoma," as he did before his team played OSU on Saturday. It wouldn't have been THAT bad except to the respective schools, if he hadn't previously been the head coach of Oklahoma, albeit for only ONE miserable year. The head coach of Florida Atlantic is Howard Schnellenberger, who led Miami (FL) to a National Championship prior to Jimmy Johnson taking over in the mid-'80s. He also had success with Louisville and was run out of Oklahoma after only one year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sorry about that, Seth.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
As I said, I only flipped to the game for a couple of minutes, so forgive me for not remembering who LSU was kicking the snot out of. ;) My only other defense is that my entire college football equilibrium has been thrown off by Michigan's horrendous start. :laugh:

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
By the way, I have this feeling that Les Miles may NOT go to Michigan. For two reasons: 1) He doesn't want to suffer through what amounts to a rebuilding program (it's going to take two years to rebuild the program with Miles' own recruits) and 2) I'm sure LSU boosters will come up with the money to keep Miles at LSU. Besides, LSU is way ahead of everyone else in the SEC anyway.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A rebuilding program? You have got to be kidding me. He may not take it (and may not be offered it) for other reasons, but I don't see this as one. Michigan has talent and has talent coming in and as Michigan will always have talent coming in. Rebuilding will not be an issue. Will he want his own recruits? Sure, who wouldn't, but despite Michigan's current struggles it is a premier job with terrific upside.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
All any of the local media talks about is the thought of luring Gruden from Tampa Bay to take over Michigan.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'm not sure about reason #2, but I agree with David that rebuilding would not be much of a concern for Miles. Similar to other big programs such as USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc., Michigan always gets its share of top recruits. That's a major selling point to any coach the school will pursue.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris

I agree that split Championships are complete BS, and you can't spell BCS without the BS, but I hear it so often I guess it's been pounded into my head. Personally I think Auburn getting jobbed the year USC won is far worse of a crime but maybe that is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks