What's new

NBA 2k2....all offense. Rent it first! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have only played a couple of games. So far, my opponents are shooting between 85-90% from the field.

There appears to be no real defense in the game.

Why do so many folks love this game? No D, you can dunk just about every time you get the ball.....it doesnt seem very redeeming at this point.

Is anyone able to keep the CPU from shooting over 50%? Is it possible.

Maybe I am expecting too much from a basketball game. I havent tried NBA Live or Inside Drive yet. I am gonna return 2K2 and give those a rent.

JP

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've been playing on the PS2 and I haven't found it overly offensive. I'm playing with the Rockets and utlize Francis and Mobley driving to the lane. I average around 55% shooting from the field (I don't take many jumpers). My games (playing on the default minutes) tend to be in the 60-70 point range for me with the CPU getting around 40-50.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Harkening back to my DC playing days, and remembering how 2K2 was on the PS2 (I returned it for XBOX's NBA Inside Drive), the best defensive strategy is to "square up" your opponents on defense to cut off their lanes, and try to steal and block as many shots as you can. Also, use the game's option to call Defensive plays...it will help.

Also, if you don't like all the offense, try playing on something other than "Rookie". You'll find that you can't dunk every time down the court.

Since I absolutely loved 2K and 2k1 for the DC, I am gonna pick this one up for the XBOX. I think I'll enjoy it more than Inside Drive (if ONLY because the commentary on Inside Drive sucks).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll enjoy it more than Inside Drive (if ONLY because the commentary on Inside Drive sucks).
Wow. I think 2K2 is a fine basketball game but I only wish it had commentary as brilliant as Inside Drive's. Aside from the flaw of the noticeable pauses to plug the player/team names into the phrases, I thought ID's commentary was by far the best I've ever heard in a sports game. Strikes a great balance between play-by-play and being conversational between Calabro and Johnson, and some of things these guys say actually crack me and my roommate up while playing :) In contrast I was actually quite disappointed by 2K2's commentary, which sounded very dated to me. Much too dry and slow and simply didn't sound enough like it was actually commenting on the game.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin Calabro does the commentary on Inside Drive? Awesome! I guess that's because the game was made up here in Sonic land. Kevin is a great play by play guy, and always cracks me up during Sonic games, although I can imagine it might get awfully repetitive to hear him make the same calls over and over in a video game.

Aaron

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I love NBA 2K2 for the PS2. Yes, I highly recommend putting it on something besides Rookie level. It is way too easy.
BTW, I'm running a franchise with the Bulls and run a college style offense/defense. Scores are low relative to what it is realistically in the NBA, but damn if I'm having fun. Remember, NBA 2K2 is pretty realistic. Like when you play real basketball, only take OPEN and good shots. Play lots of zone (2-3 works great along with 1-3-1)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Another thing: don't forget you can change how your team D's up on the other guys. I like to set my pressure and double-team assignments rather than have the AI do it for me. I usually turn off double-teams on almost everyone and use my player to double-team guys.

You should always collapse on a big man whenever he touches the ball and go for a steal. You can rack up some nice turnovers stripping the rock from him.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Kevin is a great play by play guy, and always cracks me up during Sonic games, although I can imagine it might get awfully repetitive to hear him make the same calls over and over in a video game.
Well, you know he's going to get repetitious eventually, being that it's a video game and all, but at least it's repetitious and fun. And for all the repeated phrases I keep hearing, every once in awhile they'll say something new, so that's always a nice surprise :)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Picked up this game yesterday, based on my love affair with NBA 2K1 and NBA 2K for the Dreamcast. It didn't dissapoint. It's more of the same. It looks great on my big screen. DD 5.1, with very active crowd in the rear surrounds. No widescreen support which is a shame since this is a sport in which the camera I play with would really benefit from it.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
One of my biggest frustrations with the previous two Sega basketball games was the three point shot (and normal jump shot to some extent) always seemed to hard to make, even with someone like Reggie Miller. Are open jump shots easier to make now, or do you still have to play for the layup / dunk?

I haven't seen this mentioned in any reviews, but are the old street legends still in the game, like Bird?

Its still amazing that NBA Live still sells, when the Sega games are so much better.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
No, jump shots are very hard to make in 2k2. My combined 3pt percentage is under 20%. My shooting guards cant shoot at all it seems, I find myself dishing to Stackhouse almost every possesion and going for the dunk.

This game is a 5-5 version of NBA Jam.

It may be better than the other basketball games for the xbox, but it still isnt what I would call good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks