What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Nature's Journey - Battle of the bits (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Found this elsewhere...

September 11 is the release date I believe. Should be interesting.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Would be interesting to do a double blind test to see what differences people see/hear. Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone would actually want to keep his biases from affecting the comparison.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
"Mom, where's Dad?"....

"You know where....still in the family room with his eyes glued to that damn bit meter, so if you want to really watch a movie, better do it upstairs in your room." :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe watching the bit meter is the most interesting thing when you consider some of the releases on both of these formats. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Edwin,

now *that* is brilliant.

:emoji_thumbsup:

This will be an interesting disc however, in that it's been "optimized" to use the best potential of each format in terms of space and bandwidth (that's straight from the disc-producers mouth, BTW). Will be interesting to see if any perceptible differences emerge (of course, we'll need DTS-HD MA decoding to really find out).

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I'll laugh if there is no real diff and some diehards continue to spew forth how the bitrate advantage is such a key thing.

I would guess there will be an ever so slight diff that you need to blow up to 40000000% to see and people will (like they do all the time at avs) go on how huge the difference is....then people there will slam VC-1 for there not being a bigger difference.

I have no clue what Natur'es Journey is but if it is interesting I will get it and if the blu version has a REAL (as in not having to pause and blow up 400%) PQ improvement then I will buy that version.

The sad thing is that automatically you will have some biased people (already saw some imply this at a diff site) being bit lovers proclaiming the blu version blows the hd dvd out of the water.

When will people understand that things "in theory" or on paper do not automatically give the same results in real life? You'd think someone just being past childhood for a few years would graps this simple concept but nah, we have people 30+ years old who still do not grasp reality can be vastly different than theory.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This is why I think the only valid comparison will be a properly done double blind test. I'm willing to bet that not a single person, especially those who favor one format or the other, will conduct such a test. They'll have the same attitude that some people have about amplifiers, speaker wires, etc. ie they'll perceive a difference, and when asked about the double blind test, they'll say something like "I don't need no stinkin' double blind test", and proclaim their lack of bias, or they say they don't need a double blind test, because they "knew" what the outcome would be anyway.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
This still won't be a definable test, marking out the limits of each format, because both encodes on these two discs are 1080i, not the native 1080P that is inherent in both HD formats. Most likely it's made from a first generation video source.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

1080P is NOT native to the HD format. In fact it was an after though. 1080I is the defacto standard for HD which is why most HDTVs don't do 1080p. If the original material was shot 1080I then that is the native format it should be displayed in, Just as a theatrical film should be displayed in 24p if at all possible.

Doug

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I think he means that the HD disc formats (unlike DVD) allow natively encoding progressive video. In my opinion, given the greater computational complexity alleged against interlaced video, this might make a better test. Hopefully, however, the programme will actually be interesting to watch, rather than just to observe!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

bitrates and codecs can affect different types of material in different ways. There's no "one test" for whether bits are useful format-wide or not (including this title).

There are also dozens of other uses, besides merely increasing bit-rate for video compression, for which the increased rotation speed of BD can be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks