What's new

My Three Sons: I Want a Complete Box Set (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Me too. I have a set like yours from TV recordings, but a complete commercially released set with all original music and uncut episodes would be terrific.
All the posts in this thread made me go to my ebay set and start watching. It has 380 episodes on 45 discs. Eight or nine episodes a disc. Here's a screen grab. The quality varies, bit it's an entirely watchable set.

The trick for me is just to watch and pretend I'm a kid. I tell myself that this might even look slightly better than what it looked like when I was a kid.

What a great, long-running show. And what an injustice.

My Three Sons.JPG

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
All the posts in this thread made me go to my ebay set and start watching. It has 380 episodes on 45 discs. Eight or nine episodes a disc. Here's a screen grab. The quality varies, bit it's an entirely watchable set.

The trick for me is just to watch and pretend I'm a kid. I tell myself that this might even look slightly better than what it looked like when I was a kid.

What a great, long-running show. And what an injustice.

View attachment 78340
You might have the same set that I have.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
You might have the same set that I have.
I think you're right. How many different 35-disc homemade sets could there be?

I remember when I first bought it, how disappointed I was that I was admitting to settling for it. Never could I have imagined the unjustified treatment the show would suffer. The more time goes by, the more happy I am to have this set. I'm already on disc three and plan to watch the series all the way through.

Robert Young said once they stopped making FATHER KNOWS BEST because the kids were all grown up and there was nowhere to go, since the father wasn't the center of the family universe anymore. One of the things I love about MY THREE SONS is how the show continued for more that twice the run of FATHER KNOWS BEST.

I'm excited to watch the entire run again, so excited that I'm ready to forgive subpar picture quality at times and even truncated episodes. I'm simply going to enjoy this journey from beginning to end. Who knows if I'll ever be able to make the time to watch them all again. But I'm gonna do it now.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Considering I like William Frawley far better than William Demarest (even though I've only seen pieces of him), I'd probably be alright with a bundle of the first five seasons.
You haven’t seen Frawley in I Love Lucy? Classic character!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I am wondering if anyone bought the Australian release of My Three Sons. It has Seasons 1-4 on this set. I would be interested to find out if the episodes are uncut and have the proper music cues, unlike the sets released in Region 1.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
You haven’t seen Frawley in I Love Lucy? Classic character!
I'm not sure how you got that from my post, but yes I have. I LOVE LUCY is easily one of my favorite shows, and Fred is easily one of my favorite characters on that show. William Frawley was great, despite any backstage worrying that his drinking and age would hinder his performance.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm not sure how you got that from my post, but yes I have. I LOVE LUCY is easily one of my favorite shows, and Fred is easily one of my favorite characters on that show. William Frawley was great, despite any backstage worrying that his drinking and age would hinder his performance.
Sorry, I got the feeling you hadn’t seen much of Frawley I general. I guess you meant on MTS.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
All I own of this series is the first two split season issues of Season 1.
Due to the replaced music, that's as far as I went.

But, yeah: I would *love* the opportunity to purchase a complete series set!
I have fond memories of viewing this series; and remember still enjoying it even through it's last year.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
All I own of this series is the first two split season issues of Season 1.
Due to the replaced music, that's as far as I went.

But, yeah: I would *love* the opportunity to purchase a complete series set!
I have fond memories of viewing this series; and remember still enjoying it even through it's last year.
I like the final season too. Not the highlight of the series but I like when long running shows also reflect the changing times.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I own all of the first five seasons (B&W) that CBS released. I grew up watching the color seasons in syndication without ever realizing there were another five seasons prior. For myself, I'm just happy to have the B&W seasons. Any music substitutions in the first two seasons were no issue for me. I guess that's one benefit to having never seen them before.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I own all of the first five seasons (B&W) that CBS released. I grew up watching the color seasons in syndication without ever realizing there were another five seasons prior. For myself, I'm just happy to have the B&W seasons. Any music substitutions in the first two seasons were no issue for me. I guess that's one benefit to having never seen them before.

As I said before, that's what I really enjoyed about Riptide-- not having seen that on NBC when I was a boy (1984-86), I was unaware of the music that was on the NBC broadcasts originally, and as such, it was like a new show to me on DVD (even with all of the substitutions and replacements that others [probably those familiar w/the NBC broadcasts] complained about in Amazon reviews and elsewhere).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think you're right. How many different 35-disc homemade sets could there be?

I remember when I first bought it, how disappointed I was that I was admitting to settling for it. Never could I have imagined the unjustified treatment the show would suffer. The more time goes by, the more happy I am to have this set. I'm already on disc three and plan to watch the series all the way through.

Robert Young said once they stopped making FATHER KNOWS BEST because the kids were all grown up and there was nowhere to go, since the father wasn't the center of the family universe anymore. One of the things I love about MY THREE SONS is how the show continued for more that twice the run of FATHER KNOWS BEST.

I'm excited to watch the entire run again, so excited that I'm ready to forgive subpar picture quality at times and even truncated episodes. I'm simply going to enjoy this journey from beginning to end. Who knows if I'll ever be able to make the time to watch them all again. But I'm gonna do it now.
Yep on Robert Young and FKB -- something did not jive on that because he went right to another series which tanked had he stayed with FKB they could have had Betty get married have a family Bud come back from the Army and take over Jims Business and Kathy go to college Young and Wyatt could have made short appearances in episodes MTS is sad that they cannot release the whole series

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have the episodes I want, the first 5 seasons that I recorded from Nick at Nite aired complete.
Interesting this show kept on going even moving up in the ratings when Katie came in and even when Steve married too probably could have gotten another season but Fred Silverman had other ideas

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Frawley appeared in quite a few movies during his career too.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It's been said Frawley and Demarest hated each other and Frawley didn't like that Demarest replaced him.
Sad Frawley needed to be replaced the studio could no longer get insurance on him - was not Demarests fault = guess we all would feel the same way if we got replaced that way

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks