What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
JimmyK said:
I'm sure the poster was kidding. ;)
Yeah I'm sure everyone thought Lucas, winding us all up about "Nooooo".

"Come on, Dover! Move your bloomin' Noooooo" I can only cringe at any remixing of the directional screen dialogue placement although I am keen to listen to accurate human dialogue placement as we would expect to hear in real life. What if Higgins, is behind off camera and speaking his voice should be placed behind Mainly in plain on left side surround.

I have give the DVD a spin again and watch the visuals and see where it would be logical "Mainly in the plain".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Could it be that CBS/Paramount would like to Premire the new transfer at this years TCM Film Festival? It's not listed yet but only four films are and there should be many more announced. Just a thought.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Spinning My Fair Lady, DVD. Its not loud like some ear bleeding films today. Levels are mostly around (with the EQ to trim out LCR bass mid to be smooth as possible and secondary EQ for HF horns) levels around 34db on the SDDS processor. But I'll raise fader to +6.9db, raising fader to +10.0db level is acceptably loudness dbA is under 85dbA dbC is 85dbC and over on some musical songs.

Chapter 10, "come Higgins, be reasonable" the conversation in the study room sounds neat with half in-between voice pans now and then.

Chapter 25, next race "come on Dover" and all the horse hoofs, rumbles around on right surround in the distance with waves of small level flowing up and down towards centre Come on, Dover! Come on, Dover! and as the horses get near to crowd increases up to 100dbC I feel the rumble in my chest and tummy. Come on, Dover! Move your bloomin' arse! Yells out loudly and clear on centre.

10891776_10152981314125149_7838069965014726695_n.jpg

10929949_10152981314330149_7280545205262743560_n.jpg

10891446_10152981314475149_6184596908983861458_n.jpg

The fella on the right his voice is heard on right and partly softer down in db level on centre. Eliza, voice floating phantom between stage left and centre. I wouldn't mind x2 more JBL 12SR for inner-left inner-right matrix 5 screen.

10891628_10152981314605149_5078409171679376534_n.jpg

I can see occasional moiré on DVD Higgins hat.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
ahollis said:
Could it be that CBS/Paramount would like to Premire the new transfer at this years TCM Film Festival? It's not listed yet but only four films are and there should be many more announced. Just a thought.
That's what I thought a few pages back (or perhaps it was a different MFL thread on the HTF). The TCM Film Festival usually debuts a new restoration of a musical for opening night, so MFL would make sense. The festival is in March so I'm sure they'll be making an announcement about the opening night film soon.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Andrew Budgell said:
That's what I thought a few pages back (or perhaps it was a different MFL thread on the HTF). The TCM Film Festival usually debuts a new restoration of a musical for opening night, so MFL would make sense. The festival is in March so I'm sure they'll be making an announcement about the opening night film soon.

I think Spartacus is going to be the opening night feature. Not to say that MFL won't be a part of the Festival.

Per the TCM Festival website:

The central theme of the 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival is History According to Hollywood. The Old West. Medieval England. Ancient Rome. Hollywood has found endless inspiration in re-creating historical moments and bringing to life the heroes and villains of the past, creating a form of time travel for audiences through the ages and around the world. These films, however, are not always true to the historical record—filmmakers have often created works about the past that are a reflection of the period in which they were made, or change facts to suit their storyline. The 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival will explore how cinema has shaped how we view, and remember, history.

Not sure how MFL would fit with the theme but I guess it is broad enough to include any film not set in the present.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
warnerbro said:
It's a shame Warner Bros. didn't have the rights to do this. I'm sure they would have done a superior job and not missed the 50th anniversary.
Well with all the complicated restoration on Ben-Hur, didn't Warner miss the 50th anniversary date by a year or two. Hardly anyone cared or even noticed. The important thing is that it looked great. I'm sure when this is released people will forget the slight delay.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
There's still no release date shown on the Amazon pre-order site so I guess that means no MFL in February.

Is March at least a possibility? Any transfer problems encountered along the way must be massive !

I think Warners should give us just a little bit of info at this stage rather than leave all us pre-orderers totally in the dark. I can't see that divulging a little of what is going on would hurt anyone!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
AnthonyClarke said:
There's still no release date shown on the Amazon pre-order site so I guess that means no MFL in February.

Is March at least a possibility? Any transfer problems encountered along the way must be massive !

I think Warners should give us just a little bit of info at this stage rather than leave all us pre-orderers totally in the dark. I can't see that divulging a little of what is going on would hurt anyone!
This is a CBS release, Warners would have nothing to do with it. I'm sure if there was any information that could be shared RAH would share it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
warnerbro said:
It's a shame Warner Bros. didn't have the rights to do this. I'm sure they would have done a superior job and not missed the 50th anniversary.
An anniversary may be missed as doing a superior job takes longer as it also was the case with a rather prominent Warner title called Ben-Hur.

In 2011 we had the interesting case of three large format releases by Warner that come to my mind due to them being at or close to a 50th anniversary date, too. Interestingly enough they released King of Kings and did not even mention its 50th anniversary and in the same year they released a 50th anniversary edition of Ben Hur two years after the 50th anniversary plus there may have been rejoicing as on the other hand they even released Mutiny on the Bounty a year before its 50th anniversary!

But guess what: The first two by almost all accounts turned out to be good or very good releases and Mutiny on the Bounty turned out to be mediocre at best. Goes to show that what is most important is to do these releases right, as most movies have only one shot for a decent Blu-ray release. MFL now has got its second shot and this time it will be superior from what I read and know and the big majority of us will gladly wait to indeed get this in superior quality the second time around.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Agreed. I'd much prefer to wait for perfection than be grossly disillusioned with another half-hearted attempt to do right by a superb catalog title. West Side Story, anyone?!?

Now, if CBS/Paramount would only ball-park a release date for us, as in say somewhere between March and June, I'd at least have something to look forward to and cheer about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks