What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Thanks for all the scans David. That was a lot of work.

If you weren't so far away, I'd invite you down to CT for the inevitable MFL party when it's released on BD in all its restored glory. This will surely be the home video event of the year! :)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Tom Logan said:
Although Nixon is certainly technically proficient, I find her tone, expressiveness, and overall artistry leave a lot to be desired, especially for the very emotional role of Eliza. IMHO, her singing is one of the weakest links in the film. (And it doesn't help that that same voice is in West Side Story and The King and I coming out of different, though each lovely in its own way, mouths.)
I am sure that many other people would disagree with you. Marnie Nixon also both sang and appeared as a nun in THE SOUND OF MUSIC film. Did she act and sing in other films? Marnie's voice was superb in K&I and WSS as well as MFL. A guess that you prefer a non singer like Rex Harrison,whose voice should have been dubbed in MFL.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Reed Grele said:
Thanks for all the scans David. That was a lot of work.

If you weren't so far away, I'd invite you down to CT for the inevitable MFL party when it's released on BD in all its restored glory. This will surely be the home video event of the year! :)
It's only a 12 hour drive from my brother's place in Michigan!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
cinerama10 said:
I am sure that many other people would disagree with you. Marnie Nixon also both sang and appeared as a nun in THE SOUND OF MUSIC film. Did she act and sing in other films? Marnie's voice was superb in K&I and WSS as well as MFL. A guess that you prefer a non singer like Rex Harrison,whose voice should have been dubbed in MFL.
I'm on the disagree list. As to Mr. Harrison, his performance is iconic.

RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Charles Smith said:
I don't believe we've even discussed whether we're coming in our London street rags or our Ascot garb.

How poignant it will be on that inevitable night, when everyone shows up on my door in tears and rags! :D

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dub Rex Harrison? Pigs will fly .... his performance is as good (albeit different) as it is on the original mono broadway cast LP.

The rolw was written taking his accomplishments and limitations in mind .. and everyone else has to be compared to him!

And David, you're welcome any time for a big-screen viewing here in Woodend in the beautiful Macedon Ranges of Victoria, Australia!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Dubbing Rex Harrison for My Fair Lady is akin to painting a thick black moustache on the Mona Lisa. Harrison is a consummate actor and a great actor, not a great singer, should always play Higgins. Harrison is flamboyant and exuberant. When he bellows, "Look at her, a prisoner of the gutters....condemned by every syllable she utters" the rafters shake and the ground quakes. Best line for Harrison is, "If you refuse, you shall be the most ungrateful, wicked girl, and the angels will weep for you." Delicious dialogue, delectable talent. Wouldn't change a thing. Harrison is brilliant. Full stop and period!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Have they ever tried casting the role on stage with a more legitimate singer, and has it ever really worked?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I wonder. In the score, Higgins' music is written out in full melody just like everyone else's (at least the first couple of songs are, which I just checked because I wasn't sure), and there are no instructions regarding it one way or the other.

I've seen a few productions over the years, large and small, and for the life of me can't remember whether those actors followed the Rex Harrison style. I suspect they did, and that the tradition is as unthinkingly carried on as, say, portraying the King of Siam with no hair.

(Which BTW Mr. Harrison did not, prior to Mr. Brynner taking the role.) :)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
MatthewA said:
Have they ever tried casting the role on stage with a more legitimate singer, and has it ever really worked?

The 20th Anniversary production starred Ian Richardson as Higgins, and he was a much, repeat much, better singer than Harrison. The show worked beautifully

Charles Smith said:
I've seen a few productions over the years, large and small, and for the life of me can't remember whether those actors followed the Rex Harrison style. I suspect they did, and that the tradition is as unthinkingly carried on as, say, portraying the King of Siam with no hair.

Aside from the revivals with Brynner, the major productions didn't have the King bald -- both Darren McGavin in 1964 and Lou Diamond Phillips in 1996 kept their hair. Brynner's bald head, while visually powerful, is historically and culturally incorrect for Thailand, where hair represents power.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
The definitive boook about Rex Harrison is by Patrick Garland about the final time he played Higgins on tour and in NY. It would be an acute exaggeration to claim that he emerges as even faintly likeable. He had no respect for anything or anybody else, especially Eliza, in the show and referred to it as F*** The Music. One of his more quotable moments was complaining to Fritz Aller, the MD, that he needed to avoid his conducting movements being visible as they were distracting.

As we all know by now, the style of Higgins' 'songs' was an emergency measure invented to combat Mr Harrison's lack of ability, interest and cooperation. But, like nearly everyone else, it seems so much part of the show that I shudder when anyone attempts more than a cursory, occasional expansion into melody.

I can't claim to have met him but was in awe to find myself standing a few feet away in 1970 when he was being shown around an RSC stage.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Malcolm Bmoor said:
The definitive boook about Rex Harrison is by Patrick Garland about the final time he played Higgins on tour and in NY. It would be an acute exaggeration to claim that he emerges as even faintly likeable. He had no respect for anything or anybody else, especially Eliza, in the show and referred to it as F*** The Music. One of his more quotable moments was complaining to Fritz Aller, the MD, that he needed to avoid his conducting movements being visible as they were distracting.

As we all know by now, the style of Higgins' 'songs' was an emergency measure invented to combat Mr Harrison's lack of ability, interest and cooperation. But, like nearly everyone else, it seems so much part of the show that I shudder when anyone attempts more than a cursory, occasional expansion into melody.

I can't claim to have met him but was in awe to find myself standing a few feet away in 1970 when he was being shown around an RSC stage.

It is well-established that Rex Harrison was not the most lovable of men. However your post needs to balanced by acknowledging that Alan J. Lerner always spoke of Rex Harrison with great respect. I believe Julie Andrews has never said anything bad about him.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Malcolm Bmoor said:

He and Robert Preston inadvertently became two of the unacknowledged pioneers of rap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks