What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Charles Smith said:
I wonder. In the score, Higgins' music is written out in full melody just like everyone else's (at least the first couple of songs are, which I just checked because I wasn't sure), and there are no instructions regarding it one way or the other.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I thought I might have that one here, but I don't. I do have the 20th anniversary cast with Ian Richardson, and I have no memory of what that one sounds like.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I saw Anthony Warlow also in MFL .. a great singer and actor .. but preferred Richard E Grant in the role.

I'd love to hear Jeremy Irons on that cast recording .. I must search it out. He has the most marvellous voice .. heard to perfection in my new Blu ray featuring Irons as Humbert Humbert in 'Lolita' (not the musical version!)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Robin9 said:
It is well-established that Rex Harrison was not the most lovable of men. However your post needs to balanced by acknowledging that Alan J. Lerner always spoke of Rex Harrison with great respect. I believe Julie Andrews has never said anything bad about him.
Julie has always been very diplomatic when talking about Rex. I'm sure he was vocally very critical of her, though. She does talk about Harrison trying to walk out of the first performance, racked with last-minute nerves, by pleading with the stage manager to announce that the revolves on the stage had broken down. Julie has said that, no matter what, Rex always "cut the mustard" as Higgins, and for that she'd forgive him anything.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
bryan4999 said:
There is a recording of MFL with Jeremy Irons as Higgins and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa in which Irons sings a great deal of it as written in the score, if you're interested in the comparison. IMO, the best things about the recording are the fantastic orchestra and the late Jerry Hadley as Freddy.

Thanks for that. I listened to some of it on YouTube and it sounds great even as such. Will probably pick up the CD.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Cameron Yee said:
Thanks for that. I listened to some of it on YouTube and it sounds great even as such. Will probably pick up the CD.

You can get it on amazon for one penny these days. (Plus shipping, of course, as those one penny offers are not fulfilled by amazon.)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Cameron Yee said:

It was available on dvd. Not sure if it still is?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't see it at the usual sources. Lots of vinyl, CD and even cassette for the audio. And in this case, I think I'd prefer to have just the audio.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This brings up the kind of unfortunate fact that as much as I like the film, I don't really care for Nixon's singing. It's due in large part to having repeatedly listened to the Broadway cast recording with Julie Andrews. The same thing happened with Camelot, but that was even worse what with Vanessa Redgrave playing Guinevere.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Cameron Yee said:
The same thing happened with Camelot, but that was even worse what with Vanessa Redgrave playing Guinevere.

"Lusty Month of May" is certainly a, ummmmm "different" experience isn't it?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't know, but vocal differences apart, I'd rather spend a more "promising" lusty month of May with Vanessa than with Julie's more "virginal" interpretation.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
bujaki said:
I don't know, but vocal differences apart, I'd rather spend a more "promising" lusty month of May with Vanessa than with Julie's more "virginal" interpretation.

Just remember.....

Still waters run deep!

julie-andrews-julie-andrews-37044767-496-691.jpg

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Just found out this from The Digital Bits page:

"And finally today, just a quick update on the status of CBS’ recent My Fair Lady restoration. I’ve checked with sources and learned that it’s definitely still coming to Blu-ray, but apparently the studio is working with Fathom Events to hold nationwide theatrical screening of the newly restored film this fall and wants to coordinate the release with that. So expect the Blu-ray now to be probably a 3rd Quarter release in time for the holidays."

Guess our wait will continue

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
Very cool, I hope Paramount restore/remaster more films. For example Mission Impossible 1 and 2, 48 Hours, Another 48 Hours, The Ghost and the Darkness, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks