My dog is shedding hair year round!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

My wife brought this dog back from Namibia a few years ago and as most of you married guys out there can attest, when we got married this past December he came with the package.

Problem is this bloody dog is constantly shedding. Any help is appreciated. I even tried running the vacuum over him to no avail. BTW, he's 60lb a mixed breed, but looks like a cross between a german shepherd and a pit bull (that's the best I can do!). Help!!!!

2. Michael St. Clair

Our dog (mix of Jack Russell, Border Collie, Australian Shepherd) sheds it year round as well. I wish he would tolerate a vacuum!

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

a good coat of shellac should take care of the problem.[​IMG]

4. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

As the owner of a Labrador Retriever I feel your pain. My dog pretty much sheds year round. Maybe a bit less in the winter and a bit more when it's 90 outside in the summer. With a lot of patience and a few hundred dog cookies you should be able to get your dog to tolerate the vacuum. Regular brushing helps too. As far as I know there is no magical cure for shedding.

5. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

wrap him in saran wrap...problem solved!

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I own two Black Labradors and they shed pretty much year-round, although it's heavier is the spring and the fall. Frequent brushing helps a little. Luckily I have hardwood floors which makes the hair easy to suck up with a vacuum cleaner.

7. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

the fact that two Lab owners have posted about their dogs shedding and my wife is gonna pick up our new Lab puppy next week almost makes me regret that shellac comment.[​IMG]

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

As an owner of an animal hospital where we clean up about 10 pounds of hair a day, and as a person who has 4 dogs at home: Get used to it, it's probably normal.

For a real hair-raising experience, get one or more Siberian Huskies. [​IMG] When they shed (twice a year), it's like being in the middle of a white-out.

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Julian, funny you should mention Huskies because that's the next dog I want! I think I can deal with two big sheddings per year...versus year round! Do they shed for a week o so twice per year?

10. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I second regular brushing. My girl sheds considerably less when she is brushed at least once a week.

Three bonuses of regular brushing:

1. Dogs often find it relaxing. Mine does.
    2. It helps with bonding.
    3. It gets them used to being handled.

Also, I find that brushing gets rid of loose hairs better when I first brush her against the grain, then follow with the grain.

-j

11. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    My dalmatian sheds all year round. We have to sweep/vacuum every day. Do I care? Absolutely not. Get used to it and quit complaining. It's a dog and is part of their nature. As far as I'm concerned, a house is not a home without a dog.

12. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

13. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Huskies shed a little year round, but it's that spring and fall hair-shedding frenzy that has to be seen to be believed. A former live-in girl-friend said: "I just can't live with this!!" right before she left. (And she was a vet, as well) [​IMG] Of course, I think there were other issues, but that was the one that I remember.

Nikki, Tina, & Val (my Huskies), I miss you guys; you were great company while you were here, and I hope you are waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge. (where shedding is OK) [​IMG]

14. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Shave him!

I give my dog a "haircut" every once and a while because he has a really thick coat and he sheds constantly. A friend of mine took a course on dog grooming and does a very nice job. The only time I hold off is during the winter because I like him to have a proper coat but he thanks me in the summer. Trust me.[​IMG]

Edit: But brushing your pet can be very relaxing for both of you. [​IMG]

15. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My two pugs shed pretty constantly too. And yes their hair can add up like a bigger dog. You can run your hand across their fur and get a bunch of fur. I've never really noticed which season is the worst for them though. All I do to handle the problem is brush them and vacuum.

16. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Back up a little bit.

Namibia?!

Therein lies a tale, I bet.

-j

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer