What's new

My dog is shedding hair year round! (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
My wife brought this dog back from Namibia a few years ago and as most of you married guys out there can attest, when we got married this past December he came with the package.

Problem is this bloody dog is constantly shedding. Any help is appreciated. I even tried running the vacuum over him to no avail. BTW, he's 60lb a mixed breed, but looks like a cross between a german shepherd and a pit bull (that's the best I can do!). Help!!!!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Our dog (mix of Jack Russell, Border Collie, Australian Shepherd) sheds it year round as well. I wish he would tolerate a vacuum!

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
As the owner of a Labrador Retriever I feel your pain. My dog pretty much sheds year round. Maybe a bit less in the winter and a bit more when it's 90 outside in the summer. With a lot of patience and a few hundred dog cookies you should be able to get your dog to tolerate the vacuum. Regular brushing helps too. As far as I know there is no magical cure for shedding.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I own two Black Labradors and they shed pretty much year-round, although it's heavier is the spring and the fall. Frequent brushing helps a little. Luckily I have hardwood floors which makes the hair easy to suck up with a vacuum cleaner.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the fact that two Lab owners have posted about their dogs shedding and my wife is gonna pick up our new Lab puppy next week almost makes me regret that shellac comment.:)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
As an owner of an animal hospital where we clean up about 10 pounds of hair a day, and as a person who has 4 dogs at home: Get used to it, it's probably normal.

For a real hair-raising experience, get one or more Siberian Huskies. :) When they shed (twice a year), it's like being in the middle of a white-out.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Julian, funny you should mention Huskies because that's the next dog I want! I think I can deal with two big sheddings per year...versus year round! Do they shed for a week o so twice per year?

JayV

Supporting Actor
I second regular brushing. My girl sheds considerably less when she is brushed at least once a week.

Three bonuses of regular brushing:

1. Dogs often find it relaxing. Mine does.
2. It helps with bonding.
3. It gets them used to being handled.

Also, I find that brushing gets rid of loose hairs better when I first brush her against the grain, then follow with the grain.

-j

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My dalmatian sheds all year round. We have to sweep/vacuum every day. Do I care? Absolutely not. Get used to it and quit complaining. It's a dog and is part of their nature. As far as I'm concerned, a house is not a home without a dog.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Julian, funny you should mention Huskies because that's the next dog I want! I think I can deal with two big sheddings per year...versus year round! Do they shed for a week o so twice per year?
Don't believe that for a minute. They shed year round. It's just that twice a year, they shed even more. At the start of spring, I have to brush my Husky every day for a full 15 minutes and still there is fur flying everywhere. I swear, it seems like he loses 10 lbs by the time the month is over. Fortunately, my dog mostly stays outside, so there isn't too much of a mess in the house. But Huskies are great dogs full of charm and personality, worth every ounce of dog hair :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Huskies shed a little year round, but it's that spring and fall hair-shedding frenzy that has to be seen to be believed. A former live-in girl-friend said: "I just can't live with this!!" right before she left. (And she was a vet, as well) :) Of course, I think there were other issues, but that was the one that I remember.

Nikki, Tina, & Val (my Huskies), I miss you guys; you were great company while you were here, and I hope you are waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge. (where shedding is OK) :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Shave him!

I give my dog a "haircut" every once and a while because he has a really thick coat and he sheds constantly. A friend of mine took a course on dog grooming and does a very nice job. The only time I hold off is during the winter because I like him to have a proper coat but he thanks me in the summer. Trust me.:emoji_thumbsup:

Edit: But brushing your pet can be very relaxing for both of you. ;)

StephenA

Screenwriter
My two pugs shed pretty constantly too. And yes their hair can add up like a bigger dog. You can run your hand across their fur and get a bunch of fur. I've never really noticed which season is the worst for them though. All I do to handle the problem is brush them and vacuum.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My two pugs shed pretty constantly too. And yes their hair can add up like a bigger dog. You can run your hand across their fur and get a bunch of fur. I've never really noticed which season is the worst for them though.
My pug is the same way. He sheds everyday, especially if you run your hand through his coat or let him sit with you (haid gets on your clothes). I have seen much worse then the pug though, so I can't really complain. I try to keep him brused and make sure I vacuum as often as needed to keep the place clean (something you need to do anyway).

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks