Proper use of dog grooming instruments

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Hayenga, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Hey everyone,

I've got a border collie/springer spaniel mix who sheds heavily year round. Historically I used a 'slicker brush' to remove dead/loose hair, and it worked fairly well despite being a little time consuming and ill-appreciated by the dog. Recently my brother turned me on to a 'shedding blade' which is much faster at removing hair and which the dog doesn't seem to mind as much. Thing is, it never stops removing hair. How exactly do I use this thing properly? What's a good stopping point? I could strip my dog bald it seems from the limited time I've used it already. Also, any other recommendations/implements for keeping down on the shedding would be appreciated.

2. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

I used a shedding blade on my labrador one day and the hair was endless. There was probably enough to fill a pillow. Haven't had any success here either on cutting down the shedding. I bought something called Mrs. Allens shed stop which is a food supplement but I didn't give it to him on a regular enough basis to see if it worked or not. I finally bought a K-9 top coat and I think I'm going to have him wear that. www.k9topcoat.com