What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe the issue is that the current master is from a 35mm reduction element, and WB would like to go back to earliest possible generation elements, which need some work, to give us the best possible image.
Not only from a 35 element, but at the wrong speed. 80 in its 30 format was an okay, but technically brilliant film. In 24, it’s merely okay, helped along by non-sync footage shot at 30, played back at 24.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I made a conscious decision about 10 years ago to only watch cinerama movies in real cinerama presentations or in some kind of digital format that would allow for the kind of quality I saw with How The West Was Won on Blu-ray. I made that decision after I saw a 70mm BlowUp of a 35mm composite print of How The West Was Won and it looked so horrible to me that I decided to walk out of it.

It has taken a long time but here we are and I have been waiting all these years and next year we will get Grimm on Blu-ray which is sensational. Surprise announcement of the year and I have to say this is even bigger for me than the One Eyed Jacks release a few years ago. I am so happy that Warner finally decided to work with David and Tom on this one and I am sure it will pay off handsomely.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
YAY

'We are remastering the film in both letterbox and SmileBox formats for eventual Blu-ray and DVD release from the Warner Archive Collection sometime later in 2021. FYI all the 1950s travelogues I have done exist in both straight SmileBox, SmileBox with curtains, and Letterbox digital masters. “Grimm” will grace the Cinerama Dome screen in Hollywood sometime next year before the eventual home video release.'
trailer_end.jpg

John Skoda

Second Unit
You should start a new thread on this with a headline announcing the upcoming release. I found out about it elsewhere--never bothered to check this thread, since it seems there's ALWAYS a thread on here about how this movie is NOT coming out!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
You should start a new thread on this with a headline announcing the upcoming release. I found out about it elsewhere--never bothered to check this thread, since it seems there's ALWAYS a thread on here about how this movie is NOT coming out!

The thread title could be changed to reflect that it is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray in 2021 - if that is fine with the thread starter of course.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
YAY

'We are remastering the film in both letterbox and SmileBox formats for eventual Blu-ray and DVD release from the Warner Archive Collection sometime later in 2021. FYI all the 1950s travelogues I have done exist in both straight SmileBox, SmileBox with curtains, and Letterbox digital masters. “Grimm” will grace the Cinerama Dome screen in Hollywood sometime next year before the eventual home video release.'
grimm_325.jpg

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this and have been waiting my whole life just for the stop-motion and to see it in proper Cinerama. Thank you

I've neither seen it either. Hope the soundtrack gets rereleased.

What would be the next big movie restoration to come out on DVD, Blue Ray, or 4K?

--james

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
YAY

'We are remastering the film in both letterbox and SmileBox formats for eventual Blu-ray and DVD release from the Warner Archive Collection sometime later in 2021. FYI all the 1950s travelogues I have done exist in both straight SmileBox, SmileBox with curtains, and Letterbox digital masters. “Grimm” will grace the Cinerama Dome screen in Hollywood sometime next year before the eventual home video release.' View attachment 80331
Will you be able to share any short restored clips at sometime in the near future? Just the good news has me salivating!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks