What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Ah, I was responding to a later post, not that one.

Not to beat a dead horse, but even the later post to which you were responding (Post #398), Peter again precisely spells out the location where he saw the film with sprays being used. namely "John Mitchell's outdoor Cinerama in his large back garden."

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Not to beat a dead horse, but even the later post to which you were responding (Post #398), Peter again precisely spells out the location where he saw the film with sprays being used. namely "John Mitchell's outdoor Cinerama in his large back garden."

The dead horse is that Peter in his first post indicated he saw this at a theatre with the scents. He clarified it in his second post.

Now let’s talk about Brothers Grimm. I’m excited that we may see this next year, but I doubt we will see before May or June on Blu.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

I think you're WILLFULLY beating a dead horse, friend. I was, in fact, responding to post 392. Let me know if you see the words "John Mitchell's outdoor Cinerama in his large back garden" anywhere in the post. Do report back. Oh, here, I'll make it easy for you: "Glad that you also saw it John, in Cinerama. Was there someone spraying various smells during the screening to simulate the smells in the original film? There was when I saw it. The film was never released in cinemas in Australia but was seen on daytime tv once many decades ago." I think perhaps it's time to let the horse go to heaven, don't you? Or, as they say in Frozen, "Let it go." :) We now return you to The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm whilst the horse goes to the heavyside lair, where he'll be joined by some singing cats.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes, getting back to the Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm:

I have seen samples of a few scenes that have been restored and they look like they were filmed yesterday. The plan was to keep it quiet until the trailer could be shown. The restored 4K trailer (The original MGM "announcement" Cinerama trailer) will be shown at Bradford's Widescreen Weekend in the UK on the full Cinerama curved screen on Oct 11th before the screening of "Cinerama Holiday".

At some point after the trailer is shown in the UK, Dave said he will post a few things about the project on HTF and answer questions. He estimates the restoration will be completed to have it shown at the Cinerama Dome sometime next April, with some special guests attending. A lot of other details still need to be worked out.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
As I've said, I'd never seen this movie (Grimm, that is, not Holiday in Spain) until the 35mm reissue played MGM kiddy matinees in the 70's--
However, even then, I already knew half the dialogue from growing up with a relative's old copy of the story-and-song Grimm soundtrack, narrated by Charlie Ruggles.

And was thus surprised to learn that the scene of Wilhelm's "deathbed" dream of the fairytale characters did not have a three-hanky music soundtrack behind it, that left you absolutely melted by the time the Giant wanders off booming "On-ly yooouuu..." :emoji_cry:
Still felt the movie's version was weak without it, but didn't hold that against the movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Compared to what is living presently on my DVR (a standard definition eyesore so brown and so dark that real color finds it hard to break through and compression artifacts so thick as to make certain scenes (heck, most scenes) unwatchable, this news is absolutely thrilling.

The film has flaws, no doubt about it, but the kid in me longs to see it in as close to its freshly minted shape as is possible.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I think you're WILLFULLY beating a dead horse, friend. I was, in fact, responding to post 392. Let me know if you see the words "John Mitchell's outdoor Cinerama in his large back garden" anywhere in the post. Do report back. Oh, here, I'll make it easy for you: "Glad that you also saw it John, in Cinerama. Was there someone spraying various smells during the screening to simulate the smells in the original film? There was when I saw it. The film was never released in cinemas in Australia but was seen on daytime tv once many decades ago." I think perhaps it's time to let the horse go to heaven, don't you? Or, as they say in Frozen, "Let it go." :) We now return you to The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm whilst the horse goes to the heavyside lair, where he'll be joined by some singing cats.

Bruce, I have always respected your knowledge of the industry and your insights in your posts, but your tone at times can be condescending; Exhibit A: Your last reply.

Anyway, enough said. Back to discussing The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Compared to what is living presently on my DVR (a standard definition eyesore so brown and so dark that real color finds it hard to break through and compression artifacts so thick as to make certain scenes (heck, most scenes) unwatchable, this news is absolutely thrilling.

The film has flaws, no doubt about it, but the kid in me longs to see it in as close to its freshly minted shape as is possible.

Agree with everything said here. While I never saw the film until I was an adult, it definitely has some flaws, but there some good aspects like the incredibly catchy soundtrack and I look forward to seeing the film restored after watching the old SD transfer for so long.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
"The plan was to keep it quiet until the trailer could be shown" Well, I hope Dave knows who it was that made sure that didn't happen. Those of us who knew honored his request - only one didn't.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Secrets are nigh impossible to keep in the Internet age, especially when apparently so many individuals are making their own contributions to the project. I hope that Dave, while probably disappointed, still realizes that this little slip has brought some of us a ray of sunshine in a particularly bleak year.

A surprise announcement next month would have been cool, but I am in no way less excited to have learned of this fantastic development the way we did.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Secrets are nigh impossible to keep in the Internet age, especially when apparently so many individuals are making their own contributions to the project. I hope that Dave, while probably disappointed, still realizes that this little slip has brought some of us a ray of sunshine in a particularly bleak year.

A surprise announcement next month would have been cool, but I am in no way less excited to have learned of this fantastic development the way we did.

Well said, this is the surprise title of the year for me and I still cannot quite believe it that Dave finally got together with Warner for this one!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I assume, since Mr. Strohmaier is involved, and wants to premiere this at the Cinerama Dome, that it will be in the Smilebox format, similar to HTWWW?

This is great news...alongside THE ALAMO, GRIMM was certainly the big large-format film we all wanted most to see and for years it looked like an impossible mission. Thanks to everyone involved!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I assume, since Mr. Strohmaier is involved, and wants to premiere this at the Cinerama Dome, that it will be in the Smilebox format, similar to HTWWW?

This is great news...alongside THE ALAMO, GRIMM was certainly the big large-format film we all wanted most to see and for years it looked like an impossible mission. Thanks to everyone involved!
Every 3 strip Cinerama film should be presented in Smilebox in the home.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Every 3 strip Cinerama film should be presented in Smilebox in the home.
This statement needs to be qualified to include the following provision: if you have a 16x9 display.

For those that have a 2.40:1 constant height screen, Smilebox actually gives the viewer a smaller and less enveloping image.
For example, "How The West Was Won" is far more enveloping and spectacular when the non-Smilebox version is viewed on a CIH screen.

I also find that the distortion that manifests itself in people and objects on the sides of the image being skinnier than those in the center to be somewhat disturbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks