What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
For what the question is worth, how do you know they're not just prepping for a DVD release of this one? I mean, the talk on here for the longest time has been that it would cost too much to restore it for Blu-ray (and, unless I'm wrong, it hasn't made it to DVD yet, either).

There's so many problems with the surviving elements, combined with the multi-camera photography, that makes this among the most problematic titles in western cinema and the cost to put it right, even for an acceptable DVD, is beyond most reasonable budgets, notwithstanding it's age and lack of mainstream popularity, both problematic for re-sale.

M

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
There's so many problems with the surviving elements, combined with the multi-camera photography, that makes this among the most problematic titles in western cinema and the cost to put it right, even for an acceptable DVD, is beyond most reasonable budgets, notwithstanding it's age and lack of mainstream popularity, both problematic for re-sale.

M

A DVD release might be struck from some 35mm composite elements that were prepared for "normal" 35mm prints.
That could certainly be good enough for a high quality DVD even though it certainly would be below Warners' usual standards for a Blu-ray release.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
A DVD release might be struck from some 35mm composite elements that were prepared for "normal" 35mm prints.
That could certainly be good enough for a high quality DVD even though it certainly would be below Warners' usual standards for a Blu-ray release.

V true, but surely if that was a possible/cheap/viable/commercial option surely they would have done it by now in the near 15 years since DVD first arrived.

I suspect with WB, especially now, it’s either the best or nothing.

M

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
V true, but surely if that was a possible/cheap/viable/commercial option surely they would have done it by now in the near 15 years since DVD first arrived.

I suspect with WB, especially now, it’s either the best or nothing.

M

Yes it looks like all or nothing which in this case means nothing.

I would think that when it comes to difficult unreleased large format productions Grimm is a distant third to Around the World in 80 Days and Raintree County.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I did contact CineSavant and also followed up with some research of my own,

On his Facebook page last Wednesday, Arnold Leibovit (producer of the Puppetoon documentary on George Pal's work) noted that restoration work is underway. Documentarian Harrison Engle, who says he is making a short film on the restoration, added that basic scans are being done at Warner Brothers Motion Picture Imaging, and that David Strohmaier is involved with the project.

Just as CineSavant was cautious in his original statement, I cannot confirm the veracity of any of the above. Obviously, Warner Bros. will not release any public information until the project is completed and available to the public in some form or other.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Noticed the movie will be broadcast on TCM tomorrow morning. The info display on Directv shows the movie in HD LB but have the funny feeling we might see the terrible looking laserdisc master again.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I did contact CineSavant and also followed up with some research of my own,

On his Facebook page last Wednesday, Arnold Leibovit (producer of the Puppetoon documentary on George Pal's work) noted that restoration work is underway. Documentarian Harrison Engle, who says he is making a short film on the restoration, added that basic scans are being done at Warner Brothers Motion Picture Imaging, and that David Strohmaier is involved with the project.

Just as CineSavant was cautious in his original statement, I cannot confirm the veracity of any of the above. Obviously, Warner Bros. will not release any public information until the project is completed and available to the public in some form or other.

If they scan it we can watch it at some point - this is very good news!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
If a restoration is indeed underway, why wouldn't Warner Brothers release it on both Blu-ray and DVD to maximize its sales?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
If a restoration is indeed underway, why wouldn't Warner Brothers release it on both Blu-ray and DVD to maximize its sales?

Who said they wouldn't?

It appears the restoration is in the beginning stages. I am sure either WB or its Archive would release it at some point. I also wouldn't rule out streaming, Fathom Events, and a Cinerama Dome/Bradford type series of special showings.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Who said they wouldn't?

It appears the restoration is in the beginning stages. I am sure either WB or its Archive would release it at some point. I also wouldn't rule out streaming, Fathom Events, and a Cinerama Dome/Bradford type series of special showings.

If David is involved then I am very sure that those files will not just disappear into the archives!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Who said they wouldn't?

I never said they wouldn't; many people have expressed an interest in a Blu-ray release and I was just suggesting that a DVD release would be a additional viable revenue stream as would streaming and the other options mentioned in your post.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Didn't Dave Strohmaier say in mid 2018 that he was working on a restoration but could not reveal the film's title? Correct me if I am wrong.I recall that many readers thought that it was THE ALAMO at the time..

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Didn't Dave Strohmaier say in mid 2018 that he was working on a restoration but could not reveal the film's title? Correct me if I am wrong.I recall that many readers thought that it was THE ALAMO at the time..

I sure the tile he was referring to was The Golden Head, such was released on Blu-ray in 2019.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Noticed the movie will be broadcast on TCM tomorrow morning. The info display on Directv shows the movie in HD LB but have the funny feeling we might see the terrible looking laserdisc master again.

The words "Laserdisc master" immediately make some of us recall the Uncut Theatrical Star Wars DVD, and why that one looked so "terrible", ie. that the LD was the only available print source that still existed at that time.

I'm assuming it's the same with Grimm--I've seen the "normal" 35mm print in theaters (back when MGM used to show classic kiddie matinees), and even if there's no hope of a "pure" Cinerama or Smilebox that the Archive was presumably holding out for, let's hope a new scan at least means a catalog print in the interim.

(And no, I don't know why they keep this thread on the front page, unless it's to keep the discussion alive.) :D

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This is quite the sensation and a welcome departure from what Warner used to be known for with regard to restorations, which is mainly more expensive in-house work or nothing at all.

I am very excited about the prospect of finally getting to see Grimm in at least Blu-ray quality (we can always dream of a UHD) and I very much hope that this will not be an on/off thing but something that will also make it possible to tackle other titles that so far would have been considered prohibitively expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For those of us who hold cherished childhood memories of this film (in its original Cinerama, BTW), this news is over-the-moon joyous! I hope I live to see the results. In these precarious times, I take nothing for granted any longer.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Do people who can't find the Puppetoon 2 thread get to hear what the news is? :oops:

(Speaking as one who still has the movie on VHS tape, and is now afraid to play it every holidays, for fear that every play may be its last...)

PUPPETOON

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arnie
Here is The Puppetoon Movie Volume 2 Thread

Puppetoon 2 is available at www.puppetoon.net

ThePuppetoonMovieVol2_Banner_Lrg.jpg

Do people who can't find the Puppetoon 2 thread get to hear what the news is? :oops:

(Speaking as one who still has the movie on VHS tape, and is now afraid to play it every holidays, for fear that every play may be its last...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks