Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From what I remember reading at the time, Warner didn’t want Smilebox and Cinerama didn’t like the standard version, so that’s why a compromise was reached where both versions were included. I would hope that it would be the same. I doubt Warner developed a love for Smilebox and I doubt Cinerama has changed their mind about what they prefer.

Reactions: ahollis and Darby67

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
From what I remember reading at the time, Warner didn’t want Smilebox and Cinerama didn’t like the standard version, so that’s why a compromise was reached where both versions were included. I would hope that it would be the same. I doubt Warner developed a love for Smilebox and I doubt Cinerama has changed their mind about what they prefer.
WHE immediately panics and retreats into a fetal position in the corner if they perceive the audience is "blaming" them for a bad disk, and swears never, ever to do anything resembling it again, as long as they live, so help them Batman.

Now picture their reaction to audiences who didn't know about the glory days of Cinerama, thought HWTWW's picture looked weird and funny, and had to have the concept of Smilebox explained to them... :oops:
(Remember the early days of DVD, and audiences who didn't understand "black bars", or early Blu-ray buyers demanding and petitioning that Warner release that widescreen print of Gone With the Wind or Oz that they were "hiding"?)

It would be nice if they could partner up with Flicker Alley, or presumably through the Archive, and get a dual release going, but that's highly unlikely with the WHE that blames nitpicky ol' Collectors for spoiling their big-box-retail fun.
At this point, if we get a respectably restored and unsquished version of the 35mm theatrical print in one piece on disk, I won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Darby67

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I know it's way too early to be talking about extras/bonus features but Claire Bloom, Barbara Eden, Yvette Mimieux and Russ Tamblyn are still with us so it would be great if they could get interviews with them about the making of the film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This statement needs to be qualified to include the following provision: if you have a 16x9 display.

For those that have a 2.40:1 constant height screen, Smilebox actually gives the viewer a smaller and less enveloping image.
For example, "How The West Was Won" is far more enveloping and spectacular when the non-Smilebox version is viewed on a CIH screen.

I also find that the distortion that manifests itself in people and objects on the sides of the image being skinnier than those in the center to be somewhat disturbing.
I hope to soon be able to adjust the picture geometry as I see fit with a video processor so I will be able to live with smileboy as I can lessen the curvature and also realign linearity. I am aware that this is a very rare feature and hope that for the sake of owners of scope screen setups there will be two versions of the film like it was the case with the previous Warner Cinerama release.

Last but not least this movie would look fantastic in 4k so I hope they have a 4k workflow for this, I cannot imagine that Warner would settle for less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darby67

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Different strokes for different folks.

I too have a CinemaScope projection screen, but I love the Smilebox versions of the Cinerama films, even How The West Was Won, which gave me an option. Until I can afford a Stewart CineCurve screen for my home theatre, Smilebox helps me remember the years I spent at DC's late, great Uptown Theatre.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Different strokes for different folks.

I too have a CinemaScope projection screen, but I love the Smilebox versions of the Cinerama films, even How The West Was Won, which gave me an option. Until I can afford a Stewart CineCurve screen for my home theatre, Smilebox helps me remember the years I spent at DC's late, great Uptown Theatre.
How do you watch the smilebox versions, do you cut off a bit top and button or do you project less wide?

But yes, different strokes for different folks. This is also why I am asking for two versions as I understand that the smileboy version is very popular. No interested in pushing one version over the other and a second disc should not add that much to the cost of the upcoming release.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
So let me see if I get this correct. For many many years people have been wishing and hoping for their favourite movie to be available on disc. Now there is a real possibility, and now people are bitching about the format it might take, the extras it might have etc. etc.
I
f I had been dreaming of this one coming out for so long, I would be just great full it was happening at all!

For years I looked for the Eddie Cantor Goldwyn musicals to be released on disc. Finally Warner’s released them all in a set. DVD only, MOD only. I was delighted.

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
So let me see if I get this correct. For many many years people have been wishing and hoping for their favourite movie to be available on disc. Now there is a real possibility, and now people are bitching about the format it might take, the extras it might have etc. etc.
I
f I had been dreaming of this one coming out for so long, I would be just great full it was happening at all!

For years I looked for the Eddie Cantor Goldwyn musicals to be released on disc. Finally Warner’s released them all in a set. DVD only, MOD only. I was delighted.
I’m sure these are the reasons the news was not supposed to be let out. All the answers will be disclosed in March or April. With Warner’s taking the lead along with Pacific Theatres, I would expect a smilebox version along with regular version. As with the Cinerama Blu-ray releases and How The West Was Won, I’m sure there will be extras.

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I also find that the distortion that manifests itself in people and objects on the sides of the image being skinnier than those in the center to be somewhat disturbing
Please don't take this as a criticism, as the same effect occurred when viewing an original 3-strip Cinerama presentation in the theatre if you were sitting in the back half of the theatre.

I had the good fortune to see all the original five 3-strip Cinerama films multiple times in two different Cinerama theatres (the Princess and the Cinerama) in Honolulu.
I saw both The Brothers Grimm and Windjammer multiple times at the Cinerama in Honolulu.
I saw HTWWW multiple times in 3 different theatres (the Cinerama in Honolulu, the Orpheum in San Francisco, and the Cooper in Minneapolis (actually St. Louis Park)).
I also had the good fortune to work at both the Denver and Minneapolis Cooper theatres as a projectionist after the conversion to 70mm single strip Cinerama.

Cooper MN.jpg

My personal preference for viewing in any of the 3-strip Cinerama venues was always from the first 3 or 4 rows. Maximum involvement, and I was never bothered by vertigo, regardless of the scene. While this is purely a personal preference, I believe it may explain my lack of enthusiasm for the Smilebox format on blueray.

The following image shows what the Cinerama experience looks like when sitting in the rear of the theatre. In all fairness, I believe it was taken after the age of 3-strip had passed as it looks like the curtains were not opened to where they would have been for a 3-strip presentation.
Cooper Last Row.jpg

I think Smilebox works well for a video projection presentation on an actual Cinerama screen in an actual Cinerama theatre. I say "I think" because as I have not personally seen it. It's merely an opinion. However, as you can see from the above picture it simply does not recreate the involvement that is possible when sitting in the front third of the theatre.

However, the technical nitpicking that I have posted about the lack of non-smilebox versions of these Blueray discs does not in any way reduce my appreciation and thankfulness to all those who have worked so hard and so long to insure that we can appreciate the multiple wonderful releases of the 3-strip Cinerama and Cinemiracle films that would otherwise be lost to us and all following generations.
If it were not for them, all I would have are the memories from 50+ years ago of sitting in a theatre in awe of the involvement of the original 3 strip Cinerama films.

Vern

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I

When I express that it would be nice to also have a non-smilebox version although I do not even need it I would not exactly call that bitching, nor is it bitching when Thomas T expresses interest in interviews that may be relatively easy to come by if the actors involved are asked in a kind and timely manner.

We are all enthusiastic about this release and we want it to be special without breaking the bank and a second disc and some extras both can go a long way towards this.
I would obviously also buy a bare bones smilebox release - it did not deter me when King of Kings was released in that manner either and that one even had a hideous cover ;)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I’m sure these are the reasons the news was not supposed to be let out. All the answers will be disclosed in March or April. With Warner’s taking the lead along with Pacific Theatres, I would expect a smilebox version along with regular version. As with the Cinerama Blu-ray releases and How The West Was Won, I’m sure there will be extras.
EXACTLY! Some of us are irked at Mr. Puppetoon - has he apologized?

Reactions: Conrad_SSS

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
How do you watch the smilebox versions, do you cut off a bit top and button or do you project less wide?
I project less wide. My screen is 144" diagonal, so the image is still an impressive size. I have all of the Strohmaier Cinerama Blu-Rays, so I have a "Cinerama" preset on my Epson projector, along with "Flat", "CinemaScope" and "70mm/Todd-AO".

Reactions: ahollis

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Same here. While the Kino Lorber Insider recently broke my heart by saying they had no interest in releasing THE CONQUEROR on Blu-Ray, at least I have my crappy non-anamorphic DVD to enjoy - it's better than nothing.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Same here. While the Kino Lorber Insider recently broke my heart by saying they had no interest in releasing THE CONQUEROR on Blu-Ray, at least I have my crappy non-anamorphic DVD to enjoy - it's better than nothing.
You know, Mr. Insider is baffling and more than a little off-putting. Every day they seemingly announce another 100 titles that I cannot believe would be of interest to a single human being - stuff from the 80s and 90s, mostly crap, and some stuff even I have never heard of - I mean, The 300 Year Weekend or whatever that thing is called that I can't believe a single person would ever have on a list of things they must have - THAT stuff they're thrilled to release with all the "New 2K or 4K transfer" nonsense, but when asked if they were going to release Flower Drum Song, a title that WOULD sell, his response? "We're not interested in that title." I mean, really?

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
but when asked if they were going to release Flower Drum Song, a title that WOULD sell, his response? "We're not interested in that title." I mean, really?
Yes, that is a title I would buy in a heartbeat. All that other junk:-_- not so much.

Reactions: usrunnr

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I project less wide. My screen is 144" diagonal, so the image is still an impressive size. I have all of the Strohmaier Cinerama Blu-Rays, so I have a "Cinerama" preset on my Epson projector, along with "Flat", "CinemaScope" and "70mm/Todd-AO".
But is there a setting for horizon spanning Technirama?

Reactions: RichMurphy

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsunamiMike