What's new

Muscle Cars, A Blue Chip Investment (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Twenty something years ago, I owned a 1969 Coronet Superbee (383 Magnum), I pad $600 for it. After owning it for 2 years I traded it straight across for a 1967 Pontiac Lemans (326). I had a small carb fire and got a burn spot on the hood, so I had to get rid of that too. I then bought a 72 Demon for $500.

All of the above cars can be had for $12,000 to $25,000. today. And it looks like the prices are going even higher.

But my all time favorite muscle car was the 1970 Dodge Challenger. Anyone have one of these they would like to sell?

What are the muscle cars you drove in your younger days? Or may be driving today?

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Bill, I too am a muscle car fan and share your love for the 1970 Challenger. I have a 67 Coronet as well as a 72 Dodge Dart Swinger. Just sold a 72 GTX440 and a 62 Plymouth Belvedere. Check out Hemmings and Ebay motors you may get lucky and see one up for sale that you can fix up. Also check out Moparchat.com under the classifides section.There are links to both of these sites on my website which I am including a link to. Good luck finding your dream car. They just don't make them like they used to.
Peace,
Eve My Pathetic website

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I dont know that it is included in the muscle car era, but I had a metalic blue 1978 Trans Am Firebird which I stuffed a chevy 454 into. Had a 4 speed manual tramnsmission and absolutly screemed. I miss that car.

A very close friend had a few corvettes. My favorite was a 1962 'vette. That car was wicked fast. But the quickest car he owned was a 1979 'vette with a motor we had built from plans in Hot Rod magazine. It was a 350 motor with alot of work done mostly to the heads. On the dyno it put out 490 hp at the rear wheels. The torque was really high but I cant remember what the numbers were right off hand. The problem was that the car twisted badly on take off so he had all kinds of work done to the car to keep it drivable. Ended up to get it to drive properly down the road he ended up making it illegal for road travel. Still we were getting about 7 sec 1/4 mile and once we got to take it to an unfinished highway that was never opened to the public. He put differant gears in the rear and opened it up. We had a few friends who were State Troopers (our shop did motor work for the state police). The radar said we he got it up to 190 mph. That car was fun.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Eve, Nice Dart, you might have to do some creative engineering to get a 360 to fit, but it can be done.

Scott, purist's might say the the era of the muscle car was from 1966 to 1973 with 1973 Mach 1 Mustang being the last true muscle car.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
A 360 will easily fit into a Dart. I've seen plenty of big block 440's in them. Don't think I would want a big block in mine though, that's just asking for trouble..I'm a bit of a lead foot. :D
Peace,
Eve

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
I owned a 1965 Mustang that I bought in 1987 for about 4,000 and sold it about 4 years ago for 19,000.When I bought it,it was white(since changed to a beautiful original Caspian Blue colour) and had a 289 k-code with a nitrous package,headers,a chrome dress up kit and 2 750 Holley's plus a fiberglass hood.Low mileage though...something about a quarter mile at a time or something to that effect!I was fortunate enough in that the owner at the time had all of the original parts like the hood etc.Even the numbers matched so I had to buy very little.I sold the nitrous and switch the 750's over to a single 600 Holley(probably should have got a 580 instead for I found that it still ran a little rich).Anyway,I loved it...so did my ex-wife and it became part of the divorce so I didn't have much of a choice but to sell it.I saw it last year at a car show for sale.Looked like it went through hell since I had it but the fellow wanted way too much for the car.I did end up giving him my card in case he couldn't sell it...hope he calls!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
If you like them that is good but they are poor investments. The same amount of money used to buy shares of CocaCola then would be worth over $100,000 now.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I currently own a '67 Pontiac GTO Convertible and a '64 Bonneville Convertible (not muscle car tho).
Ive had soo many chances to sell my Goat, but i know id regret it :)
Ive owned a '67 Ford Fairlane with a 351W in it.
I had a 61,63, and 64 Falcon with some get up and go :)
I woulnd mine a Charger or Dart right now either :)
PS, I beat a 360 Challenger once :)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I am also a MOPAR maniac and Drag Racer!

I have a '69 Dodge Dart with a 273 V-8, it has run a best time of 13.04 @101 in the quarter mile(not an easy task with a 273). Right now for this car I am building a 360 with Keith Black 11:1 pistons, still deciding on camshaft may go with Hughes .509 or MP .484, 2.08 valves, etc, etc.

I also have a '66 Plymouth Barracuda with a 273 4 speed, and a '65 Valiant that I am also building a 360 for.

As for finding a trailer queen, I would look in Hemmings motor news.

My Dad has a '71 Road Runner with a 440 six pack, air grabber hood, 4 speed, very rare cassette recorder with microphone(wierd option for a car like this, but adds to it's rarity)4.10 Dana, he traded a 440 six pack 'Cuda for it. This car would go for around 25K.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
My 1st car back in '78 was a '69 Camaro(327).I picked it up for $1000. I beat that car senseless, and after blowing the tranny, I picked up a '72 Camaro(307). Not a real muscle car, but after dropping in a worked up 350, with a 4-speed,that car screamed. Got me into a lot of trouble with the men in blue..:D Now I'm a mopar fan, but with a wife and family, yea, and a mortgage a muscle car is out of the question.

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
I already posted a picture of my old car in the "What car do you drive" thread, but it fits better in this thread anyways.
In high school I bought a 1967 Chevy Camaro for $4800. For the next two years I put all my money into the car, redoing the interior, installing all new exhaust, rebuilding the tranny...the list goes on. I finally had to sell the car before I came to college, I got $6800 for it. I really miss that car.
When I get out of school I would like to buy another. Next time around I will be looking at 1969 Camaros, 1970-1974 Barracuda/Challengers, and 1968 Chargers. I've always wanted to take a few mechanics classes so that I would have a little bit more knowledge in the engine repair/maintenence/upgrade department.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm a fan of classic mustangs, in factory configuration. Right now, I've got no garage space, so I don't own any. Hopefully that'll change within the next 10 years. My "dream garage" contains a 1969 Mach 1 (red), a 1964 1/2 white convertable (gt if possible, but no biggie), my Dad's 73 convertable (copper), and a 1996 Mystic Cobra convertable (for my girlfriend/wife). Our regular garage will contain our daily drivers; a current mustang convertable for me, and a SUV for my girlfriend/wife.
And of course, we'll have the home theater in the basement :)

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I love muscle cars!! I am not sure if they are a good investment but they sure are fun!!
I had a '65 Mustang and now I have a '83 Mustang GT (pics in the automotive section of my web page) which I will be turning into a '65 427SC Shelby Cobra:) The hard part is trying to decide to spend money on cars or HT:)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm not really a muscle car fan.. but I do miss my 1972 Dodge Coronet I used to drive in college.
72dodge-coronet-4dr.jpg

It was that lovely brown/green color and the front end looked like a mouth after I used it to rip the front end off of a Toyota that tried to cross my path... in the rain.
>snif< I miss that car. :frowning:

GaryH

Auditioning
Muscle cars have always been my passion, I started out life with a 73 Nova SS(lots of work on that ugly beast), went on to a 68 Firebird with a 455, 4spd with nitrous (stupid fast). I have also spent the last 15 years restoring mid year (63-67) Corvettes - have done 14 to date. Also had a 69 Camaro Convertible for a time. The car bug also carried over to the everyday drivers, The first brand new car I ever bought was an 86 Buick Grand National. That one was pure fun. After that I owned a 95 Impala SS and just got rid of a 92 GMC Typhoon. If you have never driven a Typhoon or Syclone from GMC - go find one, you wont stop grinning for days. Anyway, they arent great investments, but they sure make life a lot more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks