What's new

Mr.&Mrs.Smith - Has DTS ! (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

I'm one of the consumers who doesn't care about special features. I buy a movie for the movie, not for a couple trailers, four commentaries, pain in the ass animated menus, music video, music-only track, web link, still gallery, actor bio, (insert piece of marketing fluff here) and 28 deleted scenes which were cut for a good reason. If I buy a movie and it's a two-disc special edition, the second disc never even leaves the case.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
David, thanks for cluing us in that, if we're uber-collector's, we'll need both releases, but may I advise a bit of caution in your phrasing. When you said "Don't be too sure of that", I, at first, thought you meant there wouldn't be a 2-disc S.E. down the road at all. Whew!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Both releases for me! Thank you, Mr. Prior, now I can safely pick up the one-disc!

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Mr. Prior,

Another thanks for the heads up.

So does Fox now have a hard bare-bones followed by special edition x-months later policy on titles that gross over xx million?

Between the forced anti-piracy ads and wondering whether I'll be kicking myself a few months later for not having waited, my Fox purchases have significantly declined as of late.

Looking forward to the 2-disc, as a good special edition would push me into the purchase zone.

David Prior

Insider
Thanks Robert.

Aaron, as far as studio policy goes, it's mystifying, I think even to them. It changes constantly. When the largest and most powerful group at a studio is not production but marketing (as it is at all studios these days), every movie gets double or triple dipped, has to be cross-marketable with something else, and essentially becomes nothing more than a widget.

It would be nice if studios were run by filmmakers again, instead of by MBA's and marketeers, but that's not the case.

And I would love to see a study of how many would-be pirates were actually deterred by those ridiculous ads.

Best,

David

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
To David Prior,

Will the SE in 2006 contain both the Theatrical & Extended Cuts? Or that hasn't been determined yet.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am surprised how little has been said about this since release. I realise it's not exactly great "film", but doesn't anybody have some comments on the disc? I received mine today, will watch on weekend. Thanks.

Edit: Changed my mind and watched it tonight. PQ is very good, only one flaw noticed in one scene (fractional second) and EE was very minor in a few scenes and essentially non-existant...not enough to really bother anybody I'd imagine. dts sound was good, LFE clean when expected, surround activity active and good also when you'd expect it. Opinion of film: on second viewing (once at home), I have no qualms recommending this. It's pretty plain to me why this did the box-office it did. For someone who couldn't stand AJ (in any way!) I found myself softening towards her, and thought she did a very good job, BP did as expected (I like his work!). Possibly one of the best comedy/action movies out of Hollywood in many years, just enough differences to routines in a fairly tired genre to make you say "not bad!". The disc feature does it good, shouldn't be too many complaints about this one!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up Mr. Prior - luckily my original DVD was unopened so Best Buy didn't give me a hassle on the return.

Can't wait for your 2 disc edition. I do hope that both cuts are on those discs, as I do like what I saw in the theaters.

Jeanette Carter

Auditioning
I like the DVD and will keep it but the SE DVD better have the sex scenes in it and recut for a R rating and not that PG-13 rating that just sucked. It amazing that all the violence can still be rated PG-13 and showing a healthy sex life or love life even kissing someone can push the rating over the PG-13 rating.

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
First, a big thanks to David Prior for his previous superb efforts -- which is what compels me to purchase his two-disc "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" SE when it's released. Along with Charles D., Mr. Prior's attachment to a SE will always put a title on my purchasing radar.

Yes, Fox, you're making a sale solely on the excellent reputation and work history of the producer of this SE title. If you offered more quality materials by superior content producers, rather than the bland, jarringly subpar, allegedly "amazing / exciting / thrill-packed / blah blah blah" hooey that too often you try to pass off as "special" or "ultimate" edition content, then more money would flow from my wallet to your coffers. Marketers and bean counters, please let creators create; you guys & gals just don't do a very good job at it. (This is meant generally for all studios, not just Fox.)

But THIS is for Fox: Thank you for the sneaky single-disc-now, double-disc-soon-after hustle you've been playing. Nothing says "thank you for your patronage" like the big F-U that that practice sends to your customer base. Very savvy. On a related note... I keep all my DVD receipts, and I reviewed my '05 stack (yes, it qualifies as a "stack") before writing this post. Fox, you have received much less of my money this year than in previous years, when you guys were really firing on all cylinders re: the quality and content of your DVDs.

Looking forward to the "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" DVD -- which will only be purchased once.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Dion, so three commentaries aren't important to you? I enjoyed the film and would like to have as much information about it as possible. I didn't listen to them all yet, but I heard the first track and it's excellent.

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Paul ~

Three commentaries -- if they are quality tracks -- are, indeed, just dandy with me.

The second paragraph of my post was meant as a general point for all studios re: their often lame releases that are touted, sold, and (often) priced accordingly as "special editions." It was not Fox-specific, so if it reads that way, my apologies.

I know the film itself comes first in importance. I get that and concur. I also know many people on these boards say, "I don't care about extras...supplements mean nothing to me...I never look at 'em...," etc.

Well, I do care about them. A lot. The extras -- when they're of high quality -- is like the sweetest icing on a scrumptious cake you're already looking forward to eating.

When I read that a favorite movie of mine -- some obscure 70s movie that I wonder if I'm the only one who even remembers it -- is being released, I'm jazzed (as long as it's OAR and anamorphic).

If I discover that that same obscure 70s movie is being released with solid quality supplements, then my excitement is off the charts. It's a release-date purchase.

One of the greatest things about DVD is the extra stuff that the technology allows to be included with a title. We used to buy VHS tapes, for goodness sake. VHS! Tape!! You watched the (full-frame) movie, put it back in its box, went on to the next videotape. Sometime later, when you got the itch, you'd put that same title back in the VCR and watch the film, and only the film, again. And on and on.

Now, in addition to watching the film as often as I want (in its correct OAR), I also have dessert to go with it. And I can eat the dessert right then, or I can eat some now/some later, or I can save it all for later, knowing that I still have new things on that one title purchase to look forward to.

Extras are important to me big-time. They are often a sale-breaker or maker. And when I start getting burned on what I consider subpar offerings from companies who should know better, my itchy wallet trigger finger calms down real quick. Be it Fox, Anchor Bay, WB, DW, whoever.

Jeanette Carter

Auditioning
When I buy a DVD, the first thing I look for are the comentary section because I want to know the back stories of the movies. GAG reel or blunders are fine,promos and deleted scenes, the audio sections. The movie is an investment in my video library so as much info that can be packed on it is great.

On MAMS SE, I would like commentary from Brad and Angie to get their take on making the movie and the person who did the costumes. Also i want an R or NR cut that includes the love scenes and extended scene for dance #1. That was suppose to build up to the day after scene but that 3min scene was cut short and spoiled the build up. Angie said in her Actor Studio interview that Simon Crane directed the main love scene from the house fight to the make-up sex and I would like his take on how he directed the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks