Mr.&Mrs.Smith - Has DTS !

Discussion in 'DVD' started by T r o y, Aug 5, 2005.

1. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

According to DVDAnswers, there is no mention of a DTS track for Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Only a DD track.

Fox will release a comedy or drama with DTS but not an action film like M&M Smith. What gives !!!???

2. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

thats the r1 disc and as its fox you guys will get dts on the 2 disc set later next year (al-la man on fire avp etc.)

while we in the uk wait longer for the dvd but get a choice on day one of 1 or 2 disc

3. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

ah... r1 first release of Man on fire and AVP both had DTS

David

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Knowing Fox will double dip anyway, I'll wait.

5. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

I bet if they did it right the first time around they'd sell more DVDs. I think Double Dipping is starting to turn people off of DVDs. It's becoming quite annoying.

Take a look at the unrated version of Dodgeball. It had one extra minute of footage and some dialog changes. What a waste.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Evidence?

7. STARKILLER1138

STARKILLER1138 Second Unit

Guess I'd be one. I've gone from buying 10-20 DVD's a month to 1 or 2 tops. I've also consolidated my collection, big time, from well over 1500 to just over 400.

Still, I'll most likely get M&MS. If a version is released with DTS later on, I'll sell it or give it to a family member.

8. Brent M

Brent M Producer

My DVD buying is way down as well(although I'll definitely pick this title up when it comes out). I am absolutely fed up with all these "cash in" DVDs the studios are putting out. Look at titles like Man on Fire or The Day After Tomorrow that are re-released as Special Editions 6-8 months after the first DVDs came out. It's ridiculous! I've stopped buying a lot of new DVDs and I either buy some titles used or don't buy them at all. I'm tired of contributing to the greedy studios and their money grubbing tactics. [​IMG]

9. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I never even put Mr. and Mrs. Smith on my to buy list because I just don't trust FOX anymore. Some double-dips are okay (e.g. LotR), but when they just sit on a finished SE to milk it for all it's worth, it becomes highly annoying. And Fox has pulled that particular stunt once too often for my taste.

Chris

10. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

i know but they have a taste for the double dip about now and know what we want.
    Now as soon as we all like fools buy it the dts 3 disc super dooper ed will be announced

11. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Add me to the list of those wary of Fox and their notorious double dip tactics. I saw Mr and Mrs Smith in the theaters and LOVED it. But I just KNOW they're gonna give this one the royal treatment... eventually. I seem to remember the trailers showing a scene with Mrs Smith firing a Gatling-type gun from the back of a moving vehicle but I don't remember that being in the theatrical cut. Must have been withheld for the Director's Explosive Extended Unrated Edition.

I really wish I could see the numbers on what Fox makes with one GREAT release (X2, Ice Age) vs 2 or 3 dips on the same title (AVP, Dodgeball, et al) Does it really make financial sense? Or do they just not have the SE content finished in time for the target release date?

I'm off to watch Elektra. The Director's Cut. [​IMG]

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Oh man, I've almost stopped buying DVDs due to this practice. If it isn't packed from the get-go, I'll just rent it and wait for the uber-edition, expecially from certain studios.

13. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

It's definitely a practice that I rate pretty highly on the top list of 'things I hate about DVD'. It's greed pure and simple. I'm sure someone will come on here and try and dismiss it as business tactics though.

14. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes

Business and greed go hand in hand. Why do you think we were paying $3.50 for gas after Katrina?

The only way to get the studios to stop double dipping is to not buy the second release (unless it comes out at the same time or is announced in advance and you know not to buy the first one (like Sin City)).

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It is a business tactic pure and simple. It's really BOTH. Studios know we'll buy and rebuy so why change? That's turning down $$.

16. Actually, I've started not buying the first release (Sin City).

EDIT: sorry, you said that...

Same day 1-disc/2-disc releases are another slippery tactic to increase DVD profit margins.

Aviator 2-disc was $15 day one, but Batman Begins 2-disc was $20+ because the 1-disc was on sale.

I've started to mull over every purchase, so my DVD spending is way down compared to previous years.

I don't like being pimped out by barebones 'rental' releases or recently inflated 2-disc prices.

17. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

For awhile I would purchase Sony DVDs just to be irked when a deluxe edition version came up six months later. So if it's a Sony title, I now usually wait. And guess what- six months from now, some of the lesser titles I would have purchased on the first release became a 99 cent DVD rental from the local grocery store, or through a rental pass. By the time the deluxe DVD edition is released, I often skip the purchase altogether. Don't get me wrong.. if the movie is one of my favorites I may still get it, but my impulse purchases from known double dipping studios has dropped dramatically.

I suppose I should thank them, as I'm now saving money! [​IMG]

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Count me as another whose release-day purchases are waaaay down. SE's so soon after the first release, and large price cuts a few months after release (you have to get to know what titles are likely) etc. ...keep a backlog and you never have a shortage of "new" stuff to watch. So, the studios have taught me how to get more titles of better content for less $$$...thanks!

19. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

The UK Region 2 version has a DTS track.

It looks like it was left of the Region 1 version to accommodate the French and Spanish tracks.

20. Runar_R

Runar_R Second Unit

The R3 version has a DTS-track as well