Mp3 decoding with HK AVR520 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Asim, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Ok, i have an HK AVR520 receiver and a Denon CDM-380 CDP which can play MP3s and has a digital coax out. When i use the Denon's mp3 decoder (set thru CD through the receiver via interconnects), mp3s play fine. However, when i have the Denon passing a digital signal to use the HK's mp3 decoding, no audio and NO mp3 LED lights on the HK come on. When i play just a regular CD and use the HK's DACs via the digital coax, the audio is fine. Am i doing something wrong here and/or have i missed the boat on some key point? Thanks for the input.

- asim

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

thats odd I have a Toshiba/Yamaha setup my reciever doesnt do MP3 but my DVD does and passes it through the optical connection just fine as 44khz audio. I've never heard of a reciever have MP3 decoding but I've not been really looking since I purchasd my gear recently.

3. JeremyFr

I did some research and it, and what I've found is that it only plays MP3's off a computer through a digital connection. Heres a link to a site that covers this.

http://www.onecall.com/PID_13505.htm?PMNID=418&BCPID=241#FID_1356

You're going to need to scroll down to the specifications section where it says features in red are new from the 510 and about half way down the list it says, "MP3 Decoding Through Coaxial or Optical Digital (S/P-DIF) Inputs enables Playback of Hours of Music From a Compatible Computer " Hope this helps.

4. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

5. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

actually, i might have found my answer around 4 am this
    morning. From the denon manual buried in midst of
    god knows where....

6. JeremyFr

7. AlvaroD

AlvaroD Auditioning

There's a small USB device from Harman, the DAL 150 which can pass native mp3 on the spdif.

I still haven't figured out the way to do it with a regular soundcard though

8. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

Well, I figured out how to get my soundcard to pass through a pure digital signal but I can't figure out how to get any software to do it. Windows MP 9 doesn't seem to have an option and neither does WinAmp that I can tell. If anyone knows differently I'd like to hear from you!