What's new

Movies that freaked you out as a kid (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The one that sticks out to me was
Quatermass and the Pit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit_(film)

quatermass_clip.gif quatermassandthepit.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Them! freaked me right out as a little kid, and I used to have recurring nightmares about giant ants. Despite the dated effects, which in my opinion are still quite effective, it holds up extremely well today and is a solid, well-crafted, and compelling film. I consider Them! to be the quintessential 1950's era "nature run amok because of the atomic bomb" movie. It just doesn't get much better than this, even if it kept me up nights in my youth.

title_them_blu-ray.jpg

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I think the very first one that freaked me out was "I Married A Monster From Outer Space" - I didn't even know the title until maybe twenty years ago when I saw the same movie on a local channel. Other ones that cam after that were the likes of "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", "The Thing From Another World" and "Them". After that came the Universal Horror monsters ! These all have a very special place in my heart!

Regards,

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With regular viewings of WHBQ's "Fantastic Features" with Sivad I got "freaked out" pretty regularly. Here are a few I recall:

The Creeping Unknown
Donovan's Brain
The Screaming Skull
Mr. Sardonicus
The Tingler

and many, many more...

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm a bit younger than a lot of you guys but the one that really freaked me out was the first Return of the Living Dead with the "Tar-Man" that comes out of the oil drum. "BRAINSSSSS" That freaked me out. Even today I really can't watch that movie because of his initial appearance.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater at around age 5 I guess with my parents and some of their friends. The scene right when Indy breaks through the wall in the Well of the Souls and Marion tries to find him in the tomb freaked me out as well. Those skeletons and specifically the one with the snake coming out of its mouth kept me awake at night for a long time. Funny enough, the death scene of Toht and the others didn't really bother me as much.

The last one that really burned an image in my dreams was the Black Cauldron. My parents took me to that when it came out thinking it was another fun Disney animated feature but boy were they wrong. I don't think my brother and I slept for a week afterwards. The Horned King and his undead army tripped us out badly.

I had forgotten Quartermass and the Pit, but I remember seeing that one with my Dad on TV sometime in the mid '80s and being horrified by that demon at the end.

My imagination was very intense back then so those movies really affected me...

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Satan's Triangle, a TV movie from 1975. I made the mistake of watching this one alone, in the dark, when I was ~11 years old. The twist at the end seriously freaked me out.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The two that I recall...and sorry they are horror films...were The Haunting and The Legend of Hell House. I recall in the neighborhood I lived in the kids would plan sleepovers for the nights these films were going to be shown on television and we would all huddle together with our pillows and blankets filled with terror as we watched them.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Late 60's I think -- late Saturday night movie I caught maybe the last 30 minutes of The Birds.

Sat Morning TV matinee - Monolith Monsters. It took me years to even figure out it was a real movie and not just a dream.

Another Saturday matinee that I'm still not 100% sure of the name involving hypnosis, time travel, and a guillotine

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only one I can think of is Jaws. I was probably around 8-10 yrs old. It would play on TV occasionally and my bedroom was right off the living room, so I told my mom to make sure my door was closed tight so I couldn't hear the screams. The only justification I can think of is we used to make trips to the Maine coast in the summer, so it may have seemed too realistic and plausible to my young self.

A few years later, it became one of my favorite movies. Go figure.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm sure that some of these movies that have been mentioned, particularly from the 50's gave me some chills. The all-time disturbing movie for me occurred when I was about 14.

My parents took me to see it because they expected something North by Northwest. What we got was Psycho! I didn't sleep for two days. I may have watched it a couple times, at most, since my initial viewing. Of course I've seen clips from various scenes multiple times on TV.

Second to Psycho would be Jaws. Primarily for the opening death of Chrissie. No blood, no visible shark, but her pain and suffering was clearly portrayed.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I got so freaked out as a young kid watching "The Never Ending Story" that even to this day I have not seen the entire film. I just have no urge to ever watch it again.

There are a few scenes that I remember always closing my eyes during as a kid. Star Trek II when the bug creatures entire there ears, always had to close my eyes. Also, during "The Last Starfighter" scene when Robert Preston's character "removes his face" to reveal his alien face always freaked me out as a kid.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Animated dolls have always given me the creeps, so yeah - definitely Trilogy of Terror with the fetish doll chasing Karen Black all over her home.

Another creepy doll that disturbed me was in season one of Night Gallery; the appropriately named The Doll wherein a British officer in Queen Victoria's colonial forces is victimized. Absolutely loved the conclusion of this episode.

- Walter.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I remember seeing Jack Clayton's The Innocents on the late late show when I was about 15. I had a little portable B&W TV I had bought with paper route money and I plugged earphones into it so I could watch TV without my parents knowing it. At 15 I wasn't old enough to understand all the subtext, but the ending of the film horrified me and disturbed me. I am a lot older now and I can catch all the subtext going on and I'm still disturbed by that film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks