1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Movies that freaked you out as a kid

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, Apr 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I am a little surprised to discover there's a Criterion release of this movie.

Richard V likes this.
  2. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

There were two movies that really freaked me out when I was younger that have already been mentioned.

My parents took my brother, sister, and I to see Jaws in the theater back in 1975 when I wasn't even 7 years old. I had nightmares about the head in the hole of the boat.

I also was freaked out by The Exorcist when I was about 10 years old when our family watched it on HBO. It was during the summer, and I had trouble falling asleep for nearly a week.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, that one did to me too. I know I had some bad dreams following that one. An appropriate movie to inspire bad dreams. What an ultimate nightmare, the parents you love have become evil.

I started to think the the movies the creeped you out as a kid, depends on when you were born. Then I thought, "doh!" :P

Richard V and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. Message #64 of 115 Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    As a child:
    Twilight Zone - The Invaders, It's A Good Life, The Monsters are due on Maple Street
    Trilogy of Terror - Devil Doll segment
    Night Gallery - The Cemetery, Green Fingers
    Darby O'Gill and the Little People - Banshee scenes

Not quite a child:
    The Exorcist - viewed in a freezing cold theater as a midnight showing where every sound from anywhere was amplified, enhanced the atmosphere (in college around 20 years old)
    Silence of the Lambs - viewed at home on a videocassette (remember Blockbuster) with the AC causing some closet sliding doors to knock around, in a basement around 2AM, appropriate for setting a mood - unable to go to sleep (married, a grown man around 35 years old)

I have determined that I need to be in a warm, well lit room to enjoy certain films ;).

benbess and ChristopherG like this.
  5. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

Adam Lenhardt and TravisR like this.
  6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Some Frankenstein movie. I don't remember which one, just that it was in B&W. Of course, that could have been because of the TV set.

Anyway, I think I must have been getting sick when I watched it. I had a nasty nightmare, woke up with a fever and started vomiting. I've never bothered watching any Frankenstein movie ever since.

Earthquake was probably the only other one. That one was mostly due to it feeling like the rickety theater it was playing in was going to collapse from the sensarround.

7. YanMan

YanMan Stunt Coordinator

Yannick
    The Dark Crystal for me. I think I am still freaked out by it... I still can't quite muster the courage to watch it as an adult.

One of these days...

8. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    The Dark Crystal? The Jim Henson puppet show? I have not seen it yet but I'm sure you can watch it now. :D

[​IMG]

benbess likes this.
  9. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    Probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_%22Human%22_Factor_(1975_film)

SamT likes this.
  10. YanMan

YanMan Stunt Coordinator

Yannick

Oh man, you don't even know... Having Jim Henson's name on the box art is probably what got my mother (and many other unsuspecting parents) to rent it for us on a whim... "Oh look, a movie from the guy who does Sesame Street and the Muppets. This should be perfectly safe for a seven-year-old!"

Watch it and get back to me... you will see what I mean.

Although I probably could handle it now as as adult (just trying to be humorous about it) :lol:

Great Trevor Jones score, though... still remember it to this day.

SamT likes this.
  11. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

Thank you, yes that is it. This movie is terrifying because it's no sci-fi or fantasy where you know it's fake. This is definitely not a movie for a kid.

I would like to watch it again but it seems it's not released on any medium, no DVD, no digital release.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    In addition to Willy Wonka (see my post above), two other films come to mind:

When I was 6, I went to see a double feature of Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes. My friend and I were dropped off too soon by our parents and we walked in at the end of the previous showing, so we saw the last few minutes of Beneath. The scene where (CAUTION: 47-year-old spoiler!) James Franciscus is killed by the apes was by far the bloodiest and most violent thing I had ever seen. My friend and I walked out of the theater and back to my house, which freaked out my mother who thought she'd pick us up when the show was over. I learned to love POTA and Beneath, but it scared the hell out of me.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years (age 11 or 12), and, succumbing to peer pressure, I went to see The Amityville Horror. The theater was full of kids from my school, so it was fun, particularly to be at a night-time showing. But the horror elements frightened me, to the point where I'd wake up in the middle of the night, afraid to look at the clock for fear it would show whatever time it was that the clock in the movie showed. Unlike the POTA movies, I did not learn to like Amityville or the horror genre (with some exceptions).

Jimbo64 likes this.
  13. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I too remember going to see Amityville (original first run) and the one part that stood out the most that scared the pee out of me was when the home owner dude was sitting in a chair by a window and suddenly a pair of red eyes pop up in the window, and of course the music BLARES as the scene takes place. Oh, and of course the "GET OUT!!" was another pee moment.

At least that's how I remember it, I have watched it in many many years.

Jimbo64 likes this.
  14. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    This is a great thread.

The one that scared the living daylights out of me was another made for TV movie starring Ray Milland, "Daughter of the Mind". I'm reasonably sure I saw it as a first run so I would have been 10 yrs old. That scene after the seance with the wax hand in the fish tank, shudder...

Doug Wallen likes this.
  15. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Being a huge D&D nerd, I went to see The Sword and the Sorcerer in 7th grade with my DM friend. It was the most shamelessly bloody and violent film I had ever seen, and I remember just being shell shocked by the end of the movie. So much blood had drained from my face that I almost fainted when we got up to leave. My friend was concerned because I was so pale and quiet. I think I would probably laugh at the cheesiness now, but at the time, it was traumatic.

Richard V likes this.
  16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Forbidden Planet gave me some spooks in parts, both involving the Id Beast. When it attacks the space ship and is lit up in the fence barrier and later when attacking the Morbius home. Between the music and Robby intoning "Morbius, someone is coming this way. Morbius, it is quite large." Despite the quotes I think I just paraphrased. Very spooky.

benbess likes this.
  17. Message #77 of 115 May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    In my case it was the mid-60s and stuff on TV was considered "safe." The SF/Horror films with certain themes and psychological horror effects got me the most. Most of them didn't truly have "disturbing" images for most teens-adults but could be a bit overwhelming for younger kids. Mom didn't like me watching the local horror host program because I usually had nightmares after watching one - but the ones I remembered were never about the film I'd seen and I'm pretty sure I'd have had those anyway. To this day I prefer a good psychological horror to one that's "in your face" with gore/effects. I generally find them far more disturbing than the obvious films.

There were several episodes of The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents that I remember being rather scary. I know I was between 6 and 10 when I saw those. I didn't get to see them often as my parents felt both shows were a bit too "adult" for me to watch and by the time I *was* old enough they were no longer airing. I think I've figured out which Twilight Zone episodes I'd seen but have yet to find those Alfred Hitchock ones. I do know I'd checked out several horror anthologies from the local library simply because they had his name attached. I remember those being pretty scary. So far I've not seen a episode of that show I'd consider scary at all (S1 and S2) - most are murder mystery type affairs. Maybe the scary ones will show up as I progress through the series.

Several people have mentioned The Exorcist. I first saw that one on HBO when in college. My TV was the old family BW that I'd inherited when dad bought a color set, so I saw the film in BW the first time. It was pretty darn scary and disturbing - even for my ~20 year old self. I've since seen it in color but still find it to be a scarier and more disturbing film in BW than in color so I now always turn the color off when giving it a viewing.

When my daughter was ~5 I sat her down to watch Barbarella with me one Saturday afternoon. She was totally OK with it until the little dolls with the steel teeth started biting Barbarella. That was it... Channel changed, watch something else, dad explaining they were toys and not really hurting the lady didn't help. To this day I don't know if she's ever seen the movie - she turns 38 this year and I really need to ask... Maybe make her sit down and watch it with me again.

SamT likes this.
  18. SteveSs

SteveSs Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    For me, it was the tornado scenes in The Wizard Of Oz. I grew up in a "tornado alley", where every dark thunderstorm meant pulling the couches away from the wall so we could crawl behind if necessary. Probably a good 20 years before I could sit still during that part of the movie.

Aaron Silverman and skylark68 like this.
  19. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    If my mother was on this site, she would post the same thing about Wizard of Oz although she lived in Virginia which doesn't see very many tornadoes. However, the part that really got to her bad were the flying monkeys. She had a hard time with that scene until she was much older. I think as a kid she would mention that to my brother and I every time the movie was on.

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    One other. . .The Omen. I remember thinking that if I were Catholic, that movie would've given me a heart attack!