What's new

Movies that bring a tear to you eye or a lump to your throat?. (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Paths of Glory - the final scene
Dancer in the Dark - damn you, Lars von Trier!
Breaking the Waves - ditto
Bride of Frankenstein - the "blind hermit" scene
Gods & Monsters - the final scene
Lord of the Rings - as stated above, the scene after the one where Gandalf falls
2001 A Space Odyssey - seeing it on the giant curved screen brought a lump to the throat and a grin to the lips!
Many others with children or animals in peril...

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The Abyss -- drowning/resuscitation

Rocky -- when Rocky gets knocked down in the 14th

Apollo 13 -- liftoff (I don't know why I get a lump in my throat at this scene. The astronauts' wives are crying, perhaps because any rocket launch is a dangerous proposition, but I think my emotion comes more from the realization that it is an enormous accomplishment and something to be very proud of as a human being.)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"2001 A Space Odyssey - seeing it on the giant curved screen brought a lump to the throat and a grin to the lips!"
That happened to me twice last weekend, Peter! And it will again this weekend. There's nothing quite like seeing Moonwatcher discovering new uses for old bones to the accompaniment of Also sprach Zarathustra in 70mm and six-channel sound. Sends tingles up and down my spine--and makes me misty-eyed--every time.

Damn, but I like that movie!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Field of Dreams - 'Wanna have a catch' scene at the conclusion gets me every time.
Harvey is one of those films that makes me 'happy' sad.
Scene 1 - Stewart explaining how he met Harvey to the doctor in the alley behind the bar. Favorite scene in a film that I adore from end to end.
Scene 2 - The conclusion with James Stewart saying to Harvey 'I prefer you to' ( paraphrased? )
The English Patient - Just about the entire final 30 minutes, but especially when Almasy admits his own culpability to 'Goose' in the deaths of the Cliftons. 'Maybe... maybe I did kill them', the film flashes back to the desert, and the music swells.
Mister Roberts - Pulver reading the letter to the crew.
- Walter.

Janna S

Second Unit
Shadowlands

Terms of Endearment (this is used in clinical studies to induce tears - tears caused by different emotions have different chemical content, and this film generates "sad emotion" tears)

My Dog Skip

As mentioned above, Glory

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Finally someone mentions Field of Dreams. (Thanks, Walter)

Every time I see this film I get teary-eyed on two separate occassions:

"Wanna have a catch?" - anyone with father issues (like me) breaks down at this one.

When Dr. Graham leaves the field to save Karin. (Damn, I'm almost crying now just thinking about it.)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Which reminds me that they did a real &^%!$ job on the DVD of Field of Dreams?

Oh yeah, Toy Story 2 during the red-haired cowgirl song.

RobR

Second Unit
The only movie I can remember doing that was the first time I saw Schindler's List.

Waking the Dead did that to my wife last week.

Luis C. Ortiz

Stunt Coordinator
I never cry at movies but Schindler List made me cry like a baby.. the end when the actors and the real survivors are visiting Schindler grave.

Now I have confessed! LOL

Luis

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
good to see some guys on here, i was starting to think i was a big girl, no offense girls.....

i remember watching the first rocky, when he lost, i cried for hours.....i was about 5 at the time.

Armageddon when the boy says "mom, the salesman is on tv" being a dad is a special thing...

the Green Mile when john Coffee is in the chair, and the guards lose it...

Erin brockovich when erin tells the lady that she gets the money

Forrest Gump when gumps mom is dying, and he is scared, when he first meets little forrest (tom hanks is the man)

saving private ryan, i saw it when it opened, and a row in front of me was a man that i think was there or knew someone. he turned to his wife and i could see the tears welling up in his eyes.....so of course i lost it....i took my buddies x girlfriend (don't ask) trying to be cool an di am crying like a baby.....so everytime i see that ryan at the grave in the beginning i get a little emotional...

shallow hal when Hal sees the little girl towards the end of the movie.

i think that might be all for now....

James_S

Second Unit
Rudy - At the end……………….. Who Didn’t?
Titanic - Where the older couple are laying in bed and holding each other prior to the ship going down. At least that’s where it starts.
City of Angels - The ending
Patch Adams - When the judge takes Patch’s (Robin Williams) kids and with supervision him saying "You can't take my kids the mean everything to me".
Armageddon when the boy says "mom, the salesman is on tv" being a dad is a special thing...
Forgot about that one

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
and there ain't nobody alive that will deny that E.T. and Bambi didn't bring tears to their eyes when they were little kids.
"...little kids."? Well, I'm a middle-aged type person & I'll risk ridicule here and tell you that I've watched E.T. about 40 times and never made it through without tearing up. :b

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Rudy

Pay It Forward(surprised this hasn't been mentioned)

Rainman

I know there are many more but these come to my mind right now.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Saving Private Ryan: In the final battle when the German says "shhhhhh" as he slowly drives in knife in.

My grandfather survived WWII but not without some horrific experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks