What's new

*Movie Quote* Tournament...Version 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I figured it was about time to start another movie quote tournament. I was going to post all previous entries, to avoid having the same participants, but the thread has been gutted. So, let's try not to nominate any previously used quotes. If I recognize one, I'll let you know.
Divisions
Once again, I want to break this up into different divisions. As before, we'll have a "drama", "comedy", "one-liner" and this time I'm adding a "touching" division. In here will go all those lines that bring a tear to your eye, lump to your throat, or a warm feeling to your tummy. I realize this is very subjective, so please don't give anyone a hard time for their picks.
Rules
Everyone will get one automatic per each division. From there, you get five nominations and seconds in total. Use them for any division you want. I'm sure I'll hand out more down the line.
I'm shooting for 32 entries per each division.
Many quotes are only truly great in the context of the movie. So please vote only if you have seen the movie.
I have added my automatic for each division, and since it's my tourney, many nominations.
QUOTES IN THE TOURNAMENT

Drama
1 We could kill EVERYONE!
So what do you think?
I'm strangely comfortable with it.
-The Boondock Saints
2 My pop was real big. He did like he pleased. That's why everybody worked on him. The last time I seen my father, he was blind and diseased from drinking. And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs didn't know him.
Killed him, huh?
I'm not saying they killed him. They just worked on him. The way they're working on you.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
3 -"They'll talk to ya and talk to ya and talk to ya about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."
-"Yeah, well it don't make them running scared!"
-"No. It makes them dangerous."
-Easy Rider
4 I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife, if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my fucking television set! Heat
5 "This may be hard for you to understand, but there is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's...it's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Can you grasp that? Big brother is not watching you." -Cube
6 The Grand Hotel—always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens. Grand Hotel
7 Keaton once said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze The Usual Suspects
Comedy
1 Just take my word for it. You need a lot of drinks.
To break the ice?
To kill the bug you have up your ass!
Terms of Endearment
2 -"No. Don't take those."
-"What do you mean man? I already took them!"
-"Whoaaaaa!!!!"
-"What?"
-"WOW, man! You just ate the most acid I ever seen anybody eat in my life!"
-"Hey I ain't never had no acid before, man!"
-"Hope you're not busy for bout a month!"
-Up In Smoke
3 Why did you kiss my ear?
Why are you holding my hand?
Where is your other hand?
Between two pillows
Those AREN'T PILLOWS!!!
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
4 "You'll never get credit for my discovery. Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job at a sideshow." -Re-Animator
5 Nick: (to a crowd at a restaurant table) What will you have? The owner’s paying.
1st Hood: He’s paying! I’ll have champagne.
2nd Hood: I’ll have champagne too
3rd Hood: And I’ll have champagne
4th Hood: I’ll have a scotch
(raised eyebrow by Nick)
4th Hood: With a champagne chaser
Nora: That’s what I’ll have—scotch with a champagne chaser
After the Thin Man
6 "Mr. Hogan, may I please have your autograph?"
"Why do you want his signature? One 'X' looks like another!"
- Champagne for Caesar
One-Liner
1 Hey, you try making love in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it. Hell Comes to Frogtown
2 Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain. Back to the Future
3 Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe? The Breakfast Club
4 You're all a bunch of fuckin' slaves!"-The Doors
5 "If I had a dick this is where I'd tell you to suck it." -Lake Placid
6 "Yeah, fuck you too!" The Thing
7 Jane: I need him like the axe needs the turkey. The Lady Eve
8 "Even paranoiacs have enemies."- Impolite
Touching
1 I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail.
Our people, our people! I would have followed you to the end... my brother... my captain... my king !
The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
2 "I had always heard that your entire life flashes before your eyes the second before you die. Only that one second, isn't a second at all, it seems to stretch out forever like an ocean of time. For me it was lying on my back at boy scout camp, watching falling stars. And the maple trees that line our street. Or my grandmother's hands, and how her skin seemed like paper. And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird. And Janey. And my last thought was of Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it's hard to be angry when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes, I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and I can't take it. My heart swells up like a balloon that's about to burst. But then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold onto it. And then, it flows through me like rain and I feel nothing but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry. You will someday."-American Beauty
3 "Headline: Deadly storm takes house, leaves...excellent view." -The Shipping News
4 Rick: We’ll always have Paris. We didn’t have, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Rick: And you never will But I’ve got a job to do to. Where I’m going you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that. … Here’s looking at you, kid
Casablanca
5 I've already wasted my whole life. I want to tell you with my last breath that I have always loved you. I would rather be a ghost, drifting by your side as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you. Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

QUOTES AWAITING A SECOND

Drama
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God. The Boondock Saints
What were you doing there?
Working for the district attorney.
Doing what?
As little as possible.
The district attorney gives his men advice like that?
They do in Chinatown.
Chinatown
You know how smart you are?
[Hands him his police badge]
That's how smart. State of Grace
[narrating] This notion is not a new one but this time it is a definite plan which we intend to carry out. We have worked it out carefully and are both thrilled by the idea. Naturally we feel a trifle nervous, but the pleasure of anticipation is great. Heavenly Creatures
[in a letter] Dear Roberta Sparrow, I have reached the end of your book and there are so many questions that I need to ask you. Sometimes I am afraid of what you might tell me. Sometimes I am afraid this is not a work of fiction. I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep. I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. Donnie Darko
Comedy
Shut your fat ass Rayvie! I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into nine guys you fucked! The Boondock Saints
Fucking... What the fucking fuck! Who the fuck fucked this fucking... How did you two fucking fucks... FUCK!
Well it... certainly illustrates the diversity of the word.
The Boondock Saints
I just didn't want you to think I was like one of your other girls.
Not much chance of that unless you curtsy on my face real soon.
Terms of Endearment
First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village, but the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have reproductive organs under those little white pants. That's what's so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. What's the point of living if you don't have a dick? Donnie Darko
He told me to forcibly insert the fear-love lifeline into my anus. Donnie Darko
God, I hate that bitch.
You probably shouldn't have married her then.
The Abyss
He's plastered!
So are some of the finest erections in Europe
My Favorite Year
-"Hey Melvin, let me give you some advice. If you ever get married, make sure you get married to an ugly girl."
-"Why?"
-"You go and marry a pretty one, sooner or later she's gonna run off with somebody."
-"Well an ugly girl can run away too!"
-"Yeah but who gives a shit?"
-Night Patrol
One-Liner
Touching
I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the Flame of Arnor. The dark fire shall not avail you, Flame of Undun.......go back to the shadows........you shall not PASS!!! Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
What, no horror quotes? :frowning: Anyhow, I'll have to think about what I'm gonna nominate. You can trust that I'll be back though.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Ill Second-
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest-Drama
Back To The Future-One-Liner
Ill Automatic-
(Drama)
-"They'll talk to ya and talk to ya and talk to ya about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."
-"Yeah, well it don't make them running scared!"
-"No. It makes them dangerous."-Easy Rider
(Comedy)
-"No. Don't take those."
-"What do you mean man? I already took them!"
-"Whoaaaaa!!!!"
-"What?"
-"WOW, man! You just ate the most acid I ever seen anybody eat in my life!"
-"Hey I ain't never had no acid before, man!"
-"Hope you're not busy for bout a month!"-Up In Smoke
(One-Liner)
"Yippie-kay-yay, motherfucker!"-Die Hard
(Touching)
"I had always heard that your entire life flashes before your eyes the second before you die. Only that one second, isn't a second at all, it seems to stretch out forever like an ocean of time. For me it was lying on my back at boy scout camp, watching falling stars. And the maple trees that line our street. Or my grandmother's hands, and how her skin seemed like paper. And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird. And Janey. And my last thought was of Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it's hard to be angry when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes, I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and I can't take it. My heart swells up like a balloon that's about to burst. But then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold onto it. And then, it flows through me like rain and I feel nothing but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry. You will someday."-American Beauty

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Automatics:
Drama:
I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife, if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my fucking television set! Heat
Comedy:
Why did you kiss my ear?
Why are you holding my hand?
Where is your other hand?
Between two pillows
Those AREN'T PILLOWS!!! Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
One-Liner
Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe? The Breakfast Club
http://www.starville.com/alyssa/

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Automatics...

Drama: "This may be hard for you to understand, but there is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's...it's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Can you grasp that? Big brother is not watching you." -Cube

Comedy: "You'll never get credit for my discovery. Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job at a sideshow." -Re-Animator

One-liner: "If I had a dick this is where I'd tell you to suck it." -Lake Placid

Touching: "Headline: Deadly storm takes house, leaves...excellent view." -The Shipping News

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Good idea Brian. This was one of my favorite tourneys.
Automatics:
Drama:
The Grand Hotel—always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens. Grand Hotel

Comedy:
Nick:(to a crowd at a restaurant table) What will you have? The owner’s paying.
1st Hood: He’s paying! I’ll have champagne.
2nd Hood: I’ll have champagne too
3rd Hood: And I’ll have champagne
4th Hood: I’ll have a scotch
(raised eyebrow by Nick)
4th Hood: With a champagne chaser
Nora: That’s what I’ll have—scotch with a champagne chaser After the Thin Man
One-Liner
Jane: I need him like the axe needs the turkey. The Lady Eve
Touching:
Rick: We’ll always have Paris. We didn’t have, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Rick: And you never will But I’ve got a job to do to. Where I’m going you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that. … Here’s looking at you, kid Casablanca

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
automatic:
Keaton once said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
from the usual suspects
greatest line ever, period...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Here's my automatic for the comedy division:

"Mr. Hogan, may I please have your autograph?"
"Why do you want his signature? One 'X' looks like another!"

- Champagne for Caesar

I'll second Lew's Grand Hotel and Casablanca quotes.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
My automatic for the one-liner divison:

"Even paranoiacs have enemies."
- Impolite

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Nominee (Comedy)
-"Hey Melvin, let me give you some advice. If you ever get married, make sure you get married to an ugly girl."
-"Why?"
-"You go and marry a pretty one, sooner or later she's gonna run off with somebody."
-"Well an ugly girl can run away too!"
-"Yeah but who gives a shit?"-Night Patrol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks