Movies that bring a tear to you eye or a lump to your throat?.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_UK, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Michael_UK

Michael_UK Stunt Coordinator

Ther are some scenes in films that just make a lump in you throat or a tear to your eye?

For me Shawshank Redemption, LOTR when Gandolf get taken by the balrog gave me a lump and The Fugitive these all have done this to me (OT:Strange on how two of the films contain wrongfully convicted people).

what films do this to you?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The final scenes in Au Revoir Les Enfants make me want to bawl my eyes out...

3. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Dancer in the Dark - The end sequence should bring just about anyone to tears.

4. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I'm sorry, but every time I see the Joy Luck Club (it's on TV all the time), I just can't help but get teary-eyed. I guess I should go turn my testicles in, I don't deserve them any more [​IMG]

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Brian's Song (the James Caan version)

And please don't hold the next two against me, but when Belle tells the Beast that she loves him at the end of the movie and when Shadow shows up at the end of Incredible Journey 2, tears just sort of gushed out, even though I knew in both instances exactly what was going to happen.

I may be humiliated by these confessions, but I guess I'm just turning into a sensitive kind of guy.

6. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Book Of Dreams - Pretty uneven, but by the end you'll be crying like a baby.

7. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

As mentioned previously, Brian's Song and Au Revoir, Les Enfants make me get a little misty-eyed.
    You can also add Ikiru and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to that list. Also, the end of The Dead Zone always gets me.
    And let's not forget Bambi and Old Yeller, two films that screwed with children's emotions severely (and seemed to have a jolly time in the process).
    Ah jeez, I feel weird telling you which films make me tear up. I should restore my manliness by calling up one of my friends and talking about football, even though I have no interest in the sport. [​IMG]

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The only one I can think of is the Gold Rush (1925). When Charlie Chaplin is stood up for New Year's Eve and is the butt of the girls jokes, it just replays a lot of emotions for me over the years. Even though I'm now married to a wonderful woman (with thankfully poor eyesight [​IMG]), that scene never fails to touch me.

9. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Ever After and Never Been Kissed

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Gladiator - A Father's anguish (when he sees the charred bodies of wife and son hanging in front of his home).

11. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

The Green Mile

Mission to Mars - (where Tim Robbins makes an ultimate sacrifice for his wife)

Braveheart - "Freedom!!!!"

12. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Fox and the Hound.

Few movies get me, cause I'm so manly.

People getting emotional is pretty much dependant on how into a film you can get.

Damn you Disney!

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Abyss.

"Don't cry baby, knew this was one way ticket, but you know I have to come".

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The green mile, Pearl Harbor, TItanic... all i can remember...
    Though none of them brought tears or lumps, my eyes were getting kinda misty... im not a crying-for-a-movie type person...
    Sucks though coz my family doesnt know how to watch movies... At the end of pearl harbor when i was getting misty eyed my stupid little bro goes 'are there bullets that have poison on them so they kill the guy faster?' i yell at him to be quiet coz its like the 'sad' part of the film, then my parents yell at me for yelling at HIM...
    gosh... [​IMG] one thing that sucks about watching it at home...

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Platoon and Born on the 4th of July always get me. And theres a couple of episodes of ER that bring tears to my eyes: the one where lucy gets killed, and the one where that intern played by omar epps commits suicide by jumping in front of an L train, and hes brought in and they don't realise its him until they beep him cos Benton's annoyed hes not there!
    The opening scene of Saving Private Ryan got me the first time I saw it, and there ain't nobody alive that will deny that E.T. and Bambi didn't bring tears to their eyes when they were little kids.

16. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I don't normally cry or anything from movies, but I have to say at the end of a Pefect World when Butch gets shot, my eyes started tearing.

"What is this salty discharge?"

17. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

The Abyss when they loose/bring Lindsey back,The Professional when we loose Leon and a few others that I just cannot think of without looking and I dont wanna get up right now

18. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I have several[​IMG]
    Titanic - several places, mostly the very end
    Braveheart - when they wheel him out and everyone throws food
    FOTR - After Gandalf falls, Boromir watches Pippin and Merry carried off, and Samwise "swimming" to Frodo
    Glory - many places
    The Abyss - the above-mentioned scene
    That's what I can remember.
    Take care,
    Chuck

19. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, when "Chief" breaks free at the end.

Also, the ending of Titanic.

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

To Kill a Mockingbird and Harry and Tonto. Also, 2001: A Space Odyssey induces intense emotional responses.