What's new

Mounting Surrounds from Ceiling (1 Viewer)

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to suspend my surround speakers from the ceiling and aim them down towards the listening position.

I am using M&K SS-150 tripoles.

At the new house one of the theater side walls is completely open to the kitchen. The other side wall is an exterior wall (it is difficult to snake a wire from the attic down through the wall).

In the existing house the surrounds are mounted high on the wall, the top of the speaker is less than 6 inches from the ceiling.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
According to M&K’s website, the 150’s are 21 lbs. That’s pretty stout for horizontal mounting, so be sure you secure them directly to a beam.

Your best bet is probably Omnimount. They make mounting brackets for virtually every speaker in existence.

My only concern would be how well the bi-or tri-polars will work in this situation. In a normal installation they get their diffused sound qualities by reflecting sound off the front and back walls. Obviously keep that in mind when looking for the best location.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Thanks for the Reply...

I'm refering to the SS-150 surrounds, they weigh about 11 lbs, the main speakers, the S-150's weigh 21 lbs.

I am currently using B-Tech BT-55 brackets (available from crutchfield) for mounting SS-150's to the wall. They keep the speakers in place, but are mainly constructed of plastic and are fairly wobbly to the touch. I have them mounted into the wall studs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not the kind of stuff you want to use for this, I assure you. Horizontal mounting is more demanding and places greater stress on the bracketry. You can’t go wrong with the righ Omnimount.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Scratch that - on reconsideration, vertical mounting places greater stress on the brackets, not horizontal. Leverage and all that. But I'd still go with Omnimount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks