Motorcyle tire plugging

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JoanPablo_T, Mar 17, 2005.

1. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

So all the dealers i have spoken with say no. I have a friend who got his plugged because of a nail. Any bikers out there have an opinion on the subject? The reason I ask is I just bought a new tire 6 months ago, and have ridden the bike only about 10 times. Bike is a Yamaha YZF600R sport Bike. (2001)

thanks!

jp

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Plugged?

- Colton

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I though tire plugging was a thing of the past. On car tires, they remove the tire and laminate a patch on the inside.

Mort

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My question too: What do you mean by "plugged"?

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    In the days of wire spoke wheels, motorcycles had tubes. I presume that isn't so these days.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Correct, Dennis.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Most motorcycles still use spoke wheels & tubes (almost every cruiser, off roader, dual sporter use 'em).

If your tire is "tubless", there are many puncture-repair kits for motorcycles, just look at JCWhitney.com.

For a tubed tire, you have to remove the tire & tube, and patch the tube before reassembly and inflating.

And patching/plugging either is a temporary fix, be sure to replace it immediately.

8. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

hey, well to fix a hole in the tire from a nail. sorry, local dialect i guess [​IMG]

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

he means patched. though I guess some shops probably still do the plugs from the inside, run a drill bit looking thing through the tire and then a gooey looking plug that wears with the tire.

they won't do it due to the liability. I've read of people buying the DIY kits and doing it, but I'd just buy a new tire. Especially on the front a blowout could be unpleasant.

If you're prone to getting nails, or just scrub through tires, M/C tires are not hard to mount and balance yourself with the proper tools and a little practice, I used to mail order my tires for around 185 a pair shipped, then spoon them on myself rather than pay the $tealer 30$ EACH to do it on a machine.

10. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Thank you Garrett. I read through this thread & thought someone had to suggest against it.

Last time I counted a motorcycle has 2 tires. Lose one & well, you've just had a bad day.
    I tried a repair once on a rear tire. Just happened that repair failed doing 65 & two up. Lucky enough I was able to notice it before things got really squirrelly. (notice tried "once")
    So bite the bullet & buy a new tire. It's worth the money and might just save some skin.

If it matters, I've owned a 91 Honda CBR F2 since '93 and still ride. I've put my miles in (along with a few crashes). Take some advice from an old man & get a new tire ( 32=old[​IMG] )

11. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I have two bikes and I carry a "Plug Kit" along with a air pump in my saddle bags. Lord forbid I would have to use it! I just spent $500 on two tires a couple weeks ago. If I had to plug one, you can bet I would replace the plugged tire the first chance I could!

NEVER submit yourself to riding on a repaired tire!

In order to properly plug a tire you must "ream" the puncture hole large enough to insert the actual plug. What you are doing is actually destroying the integrity of the bias-ply compond of the tire. Once this integrity is compromised this can lead to the bias-ply separating and causing the tire to come apart or blow out.

Same goes with patching a tire. As the original nail, or whatever, has probably torn the bias-ply material as well.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

How in the hell did you spend $500 on two tires?

13. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

He must ride a Harley. [​IMG]

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

maybe... I've bought some awfully sticky high tech tires for less than half that [​IMG]

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Harley's just use regular japanese tires. Its those 300 width custom wheels that cost big money

16. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Harley Davidson. Built in America*

*with Japanese parts

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they should be so lucky brian.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I say no also. If you're on a budget take a look at Coninentals Conti-Force series. I've used Bridgestones and Dunlops, but I find the Continentals work best on my bike, despite the "low budget" rep they have and the low price. BTW Continentals are OEM on BMW and Mercedes automobiles so they must be doing something right.

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Does Falken make bike tires? They seem pretty high up on the quality/price ratio for auto tires.

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer