What's new

Motorcycle Purchase Question (1 Viewer)

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone ever buy a sportbike with cash? I would imagine someone could get a pretty good price with cash but I wonder how much of a deal? I'm talking about new bikes from a dealership. Any information would be appreciated.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yep, every bike I've ever bought.
cash means nothing, the dealer gets paid all the same. Also, there's a mich thinner margin on bikes, it's not like cars. There are no options, dealer packages etc.
Don't pay for "set up" fees, bikes now a days come in a crate and all the shop does is bolt the clip-ons and mirrors on. And usually fuck this up even.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
The only deal yuor going to get by paying cash is no interest on your financing whether it be through the bank or the dealer. My local dealership will knock of 200-600 of the sticker on dirtbikes automatically no matter how you pay. Don't even consider buying from your dealer if they wont knock off some money. I'm willing to bet they will be more likely to sell it to you at a lower price if you give them cash.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I didn't mean to imply that he should pay MSRP, they'll sell lower, there just isn't the constant back and forth haggle that there is with cars

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Most places have a very low APR these days anyway thanks to the economy. I bought my bike at 3.9% for 36 months. Beyond that, if the dealer wants above MSRP, just walk away.

Other ways to save:

*Buy late fall through early spring. Dealers want to be rid of the leftover '04's, and get as many '05's out the door during the slow months as they can. Mid spring through summer every conscious vertebrate and his dead grandma are looking to buy a bike..... and thats when the dealer can get away with selling at or above SRP. And you'll be lucky to find the model you want. I bought mine early fall, got $500 off the sticker AND an additional 3 year warranty (6 year unlimited mileage altogether).

PS: If this is your first sportbike, be sure to check insurance rates before you buy. They can be deadly. :frowning: (The insurance premium that is)

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
If I buy a new bike it will be in the Spring, I was just wondering if cash had much of an advantage over financing besides no interest.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you can still find some leftovers, depending on what you're buying.

now, more important than how you're paying for it is what are you buying, what is your experience?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What displacement class might we be considering here? The 600 class? A 750 (a few still exist)? Open-class?

And Garrett is correct: Have you considered insurance premiums? Even with a good record and with years of experience, I had to unload my CBR900RR because of the ridiculous insurance rates (I'm penalized for living in SoCal).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
easy enough, buy an expensive bike :)

I've noticed that the insurance is pennies on ducatis, aprilias, BMW's, triumphs sometimes, compared to the R1, gsxr, zxninjahondukisuzumaha's that the kids are buying. Worth looking into anyway.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I just got quoted $600 a year full coverage for an 04" Hayabusa....anyone need an 03' SV650? :D

I have been trying for at least a year to find a good rate on one, I have finally earned it thru my State Farm agent.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
I had a '92 CBR 600 10 years ago...wow long time ago. Anyways I'm interested in the new Honda 600 RR's or maybe even the 1000 RR. I really like the exhause under the tail look.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Cash means nothing to any dealer. They get the same amount of $$$ whether you pay cash, check, or finance. Getting a deal is just like with cars, on new hot models (ZX-10R) you'll pay top dollar, maybe over MSRP. On slower sellers (YZF-600 - GREAT bike BTW) you'll get great deals.

Moto sales are -very- seasonal. Spring is the worst time to buy as far as deals go. Fall/winter is the best. I bought my bike in September and got a great deal on it, but it was a slow seller.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Philip, what kind of bike do you ride?

I bought my 03' SV650 in June of last year, it took some work and PATIENCE, but I got it for under MSRP with no freight or other add on crap.
I could not have just walked in one time and left with that price though, I looked twice seriously then called the salesman on the phone with my final offer ...he called me back and accepted it within an hour.

What I did is get a guy in Seattle to give me a great price over the phone then I price matched it to my area which is about 100 mile N.

The SV650 is really an excellent seller and I got it in June so id say that good deals can be had at any time of the year.

I forgot what the exact numbers are but the dealer made like $500 off of me not including the kickback the dealers get after selling so many bikes. He probably made $700-$900 all told.

Search the net and find out what the best prices are for the bike you are interested in then offer it to your dealer.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Neil, the 1000cc honda is a little much, the 600rr today is about the same, if not quicker than the literbikes of 10 years ago, tread lightly and be careful :) The YZF600r that someone mentioned would be worth a look, the new silver color is cool.

James-
sold my bike for a car. Still kicking myself for it, will get another aprilia this year or next.
www.whereyou.at/philip/falco.html

my host is being a little slow tonight, it'll load, be patient.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, if I end up getting a bike I think it will be the 600RR. Not really interested in any other makes, I'm all about the Honda's.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
nice looking bike but 1400miles on an '01. i put that many miles on my fz1 every month. you need to ride more, but maybe that's why you're selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks