What's new

Most memorable final scenes for you? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
As the header asks, name some closing scenes from movies that you find particularly memorable.

Here's some of my favorites:

Three Colors: Red - A freeze-frame of Valentine, against a red background, with a gray blanket wrapped around her. Recalls the advertisement she did earlier in the film.

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang - James Allen, after making a second escape from an inhumane work camp, meets his fiancee one final time. "How will you live?" she asks. "I steal!" he says, as he fades away into the darkness.

Nosferatu the Vampyre - Jonathan Harker riding his horse across a wind-blown beach, beneath a darkened sky. "I have much to do. Now."

Proof - Martin now has proof that his mother was telling him the truth. Flashback to him as a young boy, sitting in front of a rattling window during a rainstorm. He raises his hand and presses it to the glass, stilling it as if to signify the inner peace he's finally found.

And yours?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars
- There's just something extremely cool about the orchestral score and the handing out of the medals to the heroes of the day.

Cinema Paradiso
When Salvatore sits down in his private theater to watch the special reel of film his friend Alfredo puts together. Extremely touching moment as he relives one of the happiest moments in his childhood.

The Deer Hunter
The group sings "God Bless America" and remembers their fallen friend Nick.

Andrei Rublev
Seeing hope and inspiration in the courage and spiritual faith of a bellmaker, Andrei Rublev quits his vow of silence and decides to continue his art of painting in the hopes of inspiring the loving Christian spirit in the people. You then see a montage of his paintings followed by a group of horses around water.

Donnie Darko
A montage of people coming to grips with themselves and the alternate reality that was prevented by Donnie's sacrifice.

I'll think up some more good ones.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the spoilers, Steve! :angry: .... Just kidding. :D

Let me sleep on it, and I'll post the ones I found memorable when I wake up.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
These are just the ones I own, save for The Shipping News and Signs...

Altered States: Eddie ends up in his wife's arms after one final change, proving the knowledge he longed for was meaningless, while what he really needed was right in front of him.

Blow Out: He went through all that trouble and all he got was a lousy scream. I love irony...:D

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover: One of the all-time greats, as Georgina kills Albert, says with distain, "Cannibal", and the curtain falls.

Cube: "I have nothing to live for out there."; "What is out there?; "Endless human stupidity."

Dark City: As John and Emma/Anna walk down the pier together, it only confirms the idea of them being meant for each other, regardless of what memories they have. However, I have to give higher marks to John's last conversation with one of the Strangers(can't remember which one): "You wanted to know what makes us tick, well you're not gonna find it(points at head) up here. You were looking in the wrong place."

Fight Club: Tyler and Marla take each other's hand as they watch the buildings collapse...

In The Mouth Of Madness: John sits in a theater watching his bizarre experiences(the film we just saw) and begins laughing at the absurdity of what's happened to the world...

Lawn Dogs: Devon in the tree, surrounded by red ribbons...

Open Your Eyes: Cesar says "Goodbye" before returning to reality...

Pitch Black: "Tell 'em Riddick's dead. He died somewhere on that planet."

Run Lola Run: What's in the bag...

The Shipping News: Spacey's final line...

Signs: I'll just say the final scene in its entirety...

Three Kings: The final title about some of the gold being missing as U2's In God's Country fades in...

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being: "I was just thinking about how happy I am.", fade out. Beautiful!

The Wicker Man: A truly horrific ending, watching an innocent man be sacrificed, all the time knowing it will do no good. "Fruit was not meant to grow on this island!"

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
  • The final sequence of Blade Runner.
  • The final sequences of both The Godfather and Part II.
  • Kevin Spacey Dept.: the final sequences of Seven and The Usual Suspects.
  • The final image of Being There (this may be my all-time favorite)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I was being a good boy here. :)

I forgot a really good one.

Rushmore
The Faces' "Ooh La La". Nuff said.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Two sprang immediately to mind, and oddly enough both are from 1968:

2001: A Space Odyssey-
Bowman's transformation into the Star-Child.

Planet of the Apes-
The ape planet is actually Earth, and Bright Eyes realizes that there was a nuclear war and that he traveled further through time than space.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Absolutely Se7en, which kicked me in the stomach and left me thinking about it for weeks, and on a lighter note, The Shawshank Redemption,
when Red meets Andy on the beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks