What's new

More Than One Win XP Pro? (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Aside from the Upgrade and Full versions of Win XP Pro, are there additional versions of this OS? I was scanning around, and noticed this:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL EDITION UPGRADE - (RETAIL BOX)- (E85-01012) $169.00

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL FULL VERSION- (RETAIL BOX)- (E85-01011) $179.00

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP Professional VERSION2002 (OEM). Includes Windows CD, Ownership License, and manual. Microsoft Software must be purchased with any computer hardware $123.00

What is Version 2002?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's just the discs that are meant to be sold with a new computer. It's the same as the FULL version, and many computer stores will just sell you those discs if you ask, but they're not supposed to

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what they mean by "2002", but the main distinction between that version and the other two is that it's OEM.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Yes that is the OEM version they are not supposed to sell it to you unless you purchase (if memory serves me correctly) a Motherboard, CPU, & HD at minimum. A lot of places buy loads of the OEM versions and sell them as full liscenced copies. I saw what happened to a store that did that when Microsoft found out... All I can say is it wasnt pretty and the store was closed within a month.

KyleS

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Most of the online stores (reputable ones that have been around a long time and do tons of business) that I frequent will sell the OEM versions with *any* hardware purchase. Some restrict to mobo, CPU or HD, but I haven't run across any that make you buy all 3.
And as far as "version" goes, yes they are all the same version of XP. And even if they were slightly different it wouldn't matter because you'd still have to go to the official Microsoft site and keep downloading updates ad nauseum anyway. ;)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips, guys. I wanted to make sure I understood if there were any differences.

I saw what happened to a store that did that when Microsoft found out... All I can say is it wasnt pretty and the store was closed within a month.
That sounds really bad. I'm afraid to ask what happened!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Most of the online stores (reputable ones that have been around a long time and do tons of business) that I frequent will sell the OEM versions with *any* hardware purchase. Some restrict to mobo, CPU or HD, but I haven't run across any that make you buy all 3.
Carlo,
This is Microsofts regulation for their OEM resellers. They need to sell OEM software with a machine since the OEM version is supported by the person who sold the software and not so much by microsoft. They give the discount for people that are buying/building a new machine or at least the major components constituting a new machine. That is why when people buy a dell, gateway, Compaq, etc the windows authenticity sticker will say to call them for support.
Samuel,
The store was contacted by a lawyer and 3 months later they owed around 3 million dollars. Of course the store was also selling bootleg copies of Office but hey who is counting right? (Microsoft was counting ;) )
KyleS

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The current versions of XP Available are as follows.

Microsoft XP Home Edition (32 Bit) OEM

Microsoft XP Home Edition (32 Bit) Retail

Microsoft XP Professional (32Bit) OEM

Microsoft XP Professional (32 Bit) Retail

Microsoft XP Professional (64 Bit) Retail

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks