Adding PC DVD to Existing HT System?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Gentry, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Allen Gentry

Allen Gentry Auditioning

I have a 2 part question relating to adding my PC onto my existing home theater system as my DVD player. Well, actually networking it throughout the house.[​IMG]
    This is a snippet from an e-mail I sent out for help.
    I've had my PC connected to my Phillips HT receiver for about a year. So far so good. It's connected via a "Y" splitter from the PC speaker output on the mobo, into a stereo jack to RCA type cable. This runs approximately 40 feet total, to my receiver. I get a very minor hum through the receiver. It appears that my incoming line to the digital cable box is the cause. When I disconnect it, the noise goes away. Any possible cures for that? It appears through reading the forum, that I may have a ground loop, and that a $12 part from Radio Shack may fix this. Also, on my PC, I have optical and SPDIF out for sound. Any reason to use those instead of what I'm using now? The PC utilizes a Soyo Dragon+ motherboard with 5.1 digital sound.
    Next question.
    This is really where I need help. I built this new PC with the hopes of using it as a whole house DVD, kind of like my how I'm networked now for sound. Now, while I hope for better, I'd be very happy with VHS quality. You may ask why?
    My problem is that my house is filled with entry level audio and video equipment. My TV is coax in only, standard tube, 27". My smaller 19" TV with RCA inputs, has a green picture tube. I don't expect it to last much longer. So as I can, one at a time, I upgrade. The PC was first. My main TV is next. Doubt I can afford HDTV next time around either. We'll see. Might have to just get a 32" to 36" standard, but with some optional inputs this time. Hopefully I can opt for HDTV. Then I'll replace the receiver, and finallly the speakers.
    Anyway, I have a small distribution network panel/amplifier already set up in my basement. It's got 1 set of inputs and 4 outputs. It's got RCA and S-video. My longest run is to my main TV, of about 40 feet. My video card has an S output, that is already connected to the distribution panel.
    Now, where do I go from here? Do I go S video to a coax converter and straight into the TV? Do I try and go RCA component cable into my VCR and hope my PC DVD doesn't have the anti piracy circuit? OR, do I go with a coax converter straight into my existing coax network? That seems the easiest. That would save me from running RCA video cable all over the house.
    [​IMG]
    The DVD is 16x, and I'm hoping to use Win DVD as the
    player.
    My video card is a Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 TITANIUM Ti/500XP, with 4ns memory speed, 64MB DDRAM, VIVO (Video IN Video OUT), and Golden Sample Plus. Also, here's some more specs. I'm only posting them because I don't know if they apply or not. There's a lot of information on resolutions and screen rates, or frequencies, or something. I know I'll hafta turn my resolution down too. I think.
    Features
    Gainward GeForce2 Ti/500 XP is the first 3D graphics processor. GeForce2 Ti/500 XP incorporating GeForce2 Pro breakthrough 3D architecture, in a 4-pipe form, which delivers the full GeForce2 Ti/500 XP, 3D features set at mainstream price points. With special features like HDVP, digital VCR capabilities, high performance and high-level software MPEG-2 decoder,GeForce2 Ti/500 XP delivers a cost effective and high quality HDTV solution.
    Specifications
    Single-Chip GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
    Support 4X AGP
    Support - 4ns DDR-SDRAM High Speed Memory
    Integrated 350MHz RADAC, resolution up to 2048x1536 @ 75Hz
    Full acceleration for Microsoft DirectX 8 and Open GL 1.2ICD and above
    2nd Generation Transfer & Lighting Engines
    32-bit color & 32-bit Z/Stencil Buffer
    10 Texels Per Clock with Hypertexel
    Order Environment Mapping
    31M Triangles/sec through Set-up &1 Billion fill rate
    DirectX Texture Compression
    Enhanced Motion Compensation for Full Speed DVD Playback
    Video acceleration for DirectShow , MPEG-1 , MPEG-2 ,and
    Indeo
    Multiple Video windows with hardware color space
    conversion and filtering
    Support NTSC/PAL TV-OUT with Flicker Filter
    S3TC Support
    Still and Motion Capture (Optional)
    Capture video images from TV, VCR, V8 or camcorder with
    Composite & S-Video connector Video capture rate up to 30f/s
    Capture file format support MPEG-1 & 2
    Package Contains
    256 color
    16bit
    32bit
    640x480
    60-240Hz
    60-240Hz
    60-240Hz
    800x600
    60-240Hz
    60-240Hz
    60-240Hz
    1024x768
    60-240Hz
    60-240Hz
    60-200Hz
    1152x864
    60-200Hz
    60-200Hz
    60-170Hz
    1280x960
    60-170Hz
    60-170Hz
    60-150Hz
    1280x1024
    60-170Hz
    60-170Hz
    60-150Hz
    1600x900
    60-150Hz
    60-150Hz
    60-120Hz
    1600x1200
    60-120Hz
    60-120Hz
    60-100Hz
    1920x1080
    60-100Hz
    60-100Hz
    90-85Hz
    1920x1200
    60-100Hz
    60-100Hz
    60-85Hz
    1920x1440
    60-85Hz
    60-85Hz
    60-75Hz
    2048x1536
    60-75Hz
    60-75Hz
    60Hz
    Anyway, you guys probably think I'm nuts. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. I can't really afford high end stuff, so I try and do the best I can and use some creativity, and ingenuity. Anyway, I just wanna watch DVDs anywhere from this one location, rather than buy 3 players.
    Thanks so much,
    Allen Gentry
    [​IMG]

2. Allen Gentry

Allen Gentry Auditioning

BTTT.

Anyone?

Please?

Allen

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Allen,
    All this stuff is pretty much moot if you play out the NTSC svideo output.
    You are getting NTSC video from the svideo output, period.
    You could have a $2 video card or a $200 video card- they probably both offer identical/very similar NTSC svideo output.
    The specs of the video card, and the hi tech chip sets and processing only come into play on the actual VGA type db-15 plug- the monitor connector. Most video cards that offer the svideo output are either running video directly off the drive- or running a basic down conversion to standard TV resolution-- either way the specs of the machine and the video card are not of any real importance as you won't be using any of it.
    Again- the only way to actually utilize the real power of HTPC, and more over the POINT of HTPC, is to have a monitor that supports HDTV or data rate resolutions (such as a HDTV set or projector) and feed it actual full resolution computer data sync rates. If you run out the svideo connector into standard definition TV- you're getting the exact same signal you'd get off a set-top dvd player-- and honestly probably inferior (absolutely inferior at a dollar per dollar point. Spending $1000-$1500 on HTPC and then using the svideo output will absolutely give you lower picture quality than $1000 spent on a stand alone DVD player offering svideo).
    Hope that makes sense.
    -Vince