What's new

More than 128 MB on Win 98? (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It looks like I'm going to have to do a full system recovery on my PC, since I cannot resolve my sound problem (I hope it works because I'm been getting a "CD-drive/problem with disc" error that stops my Win 98 installation from that recovery CD). One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade to XP was so that I could install more memory. A few years ago, I tried installing more on Win 98, but it ended up slowing down my system. I looked around on the Internet, and there seems to be some tweaks I can perform to fix this problem. Has anyone tried them or know what I'm referring to?

Also, I looked on crucial.com for memory, and they only have PC130 when what I need is PC100. Will PC130 work fine for me (it matched up with my system model on the site, but HP says I need PC100)?

~T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
PC130 memory should be backwards compatible. It should work fine. You tried to upgrade to Windows XP and something went wrong with your CD-Drive? HP support sucks...I know....I use to own one! Give me your system specs and model number. I'll try to help you get XP running correctly.

Randy T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I upgraded to XP and mainly had incompability problems with Adaptec's software, my scanner, and DVD drive. I downloaded a keyboard patch, and, for some reason, it slowed my system to the point where I couldn't do anything. So I tried reinstalling Win 98 from the HP recovery CD, but right before it seems like it's about to finish, I get an error saying that something is wrong with my CD drive or the CD; I had no problems with CD the 3 or 4 times I used it before. I then installed Win ME with no problem during the installation process; however, I end up with no sound. Then, I tried Win 98 again and again, but I got the same error. I decided to try XP, but then it had a problem at this point with freezing at 59% during the analyzing phase, unlike previously. At this moment, I'm back with Win 98, which didn't completely install but had enough files to get Windows working. I copied 4 CDs today from the DVD drive to the CD one (CDRW) with no problems. So, I can't really tell if anything is wrong with my CD and DVD drives or the recovery CD.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks