More than 128 MB on Win 98?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

It looks like I'm going to have to do a full system recovery on my PC, since I cannot resolve my sound problem (I hope it works because I'm been getting a "CD-drive/problem with disc" error that stops my Win 98 installation from that recovery CD). One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade to XP was so that I could install more memory. A few years ago, I tried installing more on Win 98, but it ended up slowing down my system. I looked around on the Internet, and there seems to be some tweaks I can perform to fix this problem. Has anyone tried them or know what I'm referring to?

Also, I looked on crucial.com for memory, and they only have PC130 when what I need is PC100. Will PC130 work fine for me (it matched up with my system model on the site, but HP says I need PC100)?

~T

2. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

PC130 memory should be backwards compatible. It should work fine. You tried to upgrade to Windows XP and something went wrong with your CD-Drive? HP support sucks...I know....I use to own one! Give me your system specs and model number. I'll try to help you get XP running correctly.

Randy T

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I upgraded to XP and mainly had incompability problems with Adaptec's software, my scanner, and DVD drive. I downloaded a keyboard patch, and, for some reason, it slowed my system to the point where I couldn't do anything. So I tried reinstalling Win 98 from the HP recovery CD, but right before it seems like it's about to finish, I get an error saying that something is wrong with my CD drive or the CD; I had no problems with CD the 3 or 4 times I used it before. I then installed Win ME with no problem during the installation process; however, I end up with no sound. Then, I tried Win 98 again and again, but I got the same error. I decided to try XP, but then it had a problem at this point with freezing at 59% during the analyzing phase, unlike previously. At this moment, I'm back with Win 98, which didn't completely install but had enough files to get Windows working. I copied 4 CDs today from the DVD drive to the CD one (CDRW) with no problems. So, I can't really tell if anything is wrong with my CD and DVD drives or the recovery CD.

~T