What's new

More music I would buy in surround form. (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I've been holding back on these because their chances of being remixed seemed too remote since they aren't massively popular, or only had one good album or just don't sound that great. BUT they are still albums I actually listen to on a regular basis because I like the music on them. And anyway, I figure costs for remixing titles like this might be lower than say, Alan Parsons' material so would be a more attractive project for the music labels.

1) Single Gun Theory Flow, River Of My Soul (1994) Slick but organic sounding at the same time; truly cosmic semi-trip-hop music from Australia. Any music that contains samples from The Twilight Zone, an Apollo astronaut and parapsychologists is automatically going to sound great in surround! At Cduniverse.com and their homepage.

2) Saga Worlds Apart (1981) My high school used "On The Loose" for their football pep rallys--I still get a kick of positivity from hearing this energetic tune even now. The whole album has interesting stories & music. At Cduniverse.com

3) Blue States Nothing Changes Under The Sun (2001) I don't know what you call this music--I just like it. On the ESL Music independent label (home of Thievery Corporation). You can hear complete tracks from their albums on www.eslmusic.com's "Hi Fi" page. At Cduniverse.com. Their homepage

4) Missing Persons Spring Session M (1982) Go ahead and giggle--I think this is some fun New Wave music with a good kick to it. Quite good sound too. Unlike most of my newer rock CDs, this one I can turn up loud & it doesn't irritate my ears. At Cduniverse.com

5) Supreme Beings of Leisure (2000) This self-titled CD is custom made for a James Bond film. I own one of their dvds that contains two songs from this album remixed into 5.1 Dolby Digital form--good stuff. I own their so-so second album too--it came with a bonus dvd with four songs in 5.1 form (I liked this group before I heard the term "hi-res"). So they and Palm Pictures their label know wassup in music land. :emoji_thumbsup: At Cduniverse.com

6) Thomas Dolby Golden Age Of Wireless (1982) How can anybody not like the hit single "She Blinded Me With Science" and it's classic video? My CD sounds like crap so a remastering is definitely in order here but lots of sounds for a mixer to play with. "One Of Our Submarines" is my second favorite track. At..............

7) INXS Greatest Hits (1994) I also own X but it's only got five songs on it that I like. I really, REALLY beleive releasing greatest hits albums would give any surround format a large presence in the public eye. At the 'Verse.com

8) Mark Isham Vapor Drawings (1983) Delicate--and sometimes powerful--New Age music, when real New Age was really interesting stuff to listen to & before hordes of talentless hacks smelled money in it and swamped the market with sleep-inducing aural wallpaper and turned this genre into a joke. The somber but then eventually uplifting track "On The Threshhold Of Liberty" can still give me goosebumps when driving by myself at night on a dark highway. Just really pretty electronic/acoustic music. I still don't understand why little (none?) of this type of music has been released in hi-res or especially surround form. And all of my Windham Hill (Isham's label) CDs and vinyl have excellent recording quality & for that reason I've also used them for years for speaker testing purposes. I also own his album Tibet. Jazz fans might be interested to know that Isham also did a tribute to Miles Davis I've been wanting to buy, called In A Silent Way. Anyway......Not this time! :)

9) Rollins Band Weight (1994) Not your typical punk/heavyish metal band. Mr. Rollins can be quite scary and depressing while he bitches about the state of the world but on the next track he can then be very positive. The song "Shine" helped keep me going at a very rough time in my life (lyrics). But I liked his music before that time too. Music matches Rollins' physical build: ripped/no nonsense/don't take s**t stuff, perfect to be immersed in and get you totally pumped up to deal with the weiners of the world! :D At Cduniverse.com & Henry's homepage

10) Fifth Dimension Magic Garden (the hip 60s!) Not exactly an obscure group but this seldom talked about album sure is good. I like them enough to buy just about any of their music in surround OR hi-res stereo. At Cduniverse.com

That's all for now.

If anybody else wants to list their offbeat but surround-suitable music, go ahead. SOME of the music companies must be reading this forum.....right?

LJ

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The Dukes Of The Strasosphear's (XTC's alter ego) 25 O'CLOCK is replete with sound effects and would make smashing surround music IMO.

gregD

Second Unit
Frank Zappa's synclavier works:

Jazz From Hell
The Perfect Stranger
Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention

and the masterpiece ---

Civilization Phaze III

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
RADIOHEAD! is just begging for a multi-channel release... some trippy shit there...

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Yeah NickSo, I was just about to say the same thing. I would want Elliot Schiener (Sea Change mix) to do the mix for any of Radioheads albums! That guy is a friggin genious.

Also wouldn't mind:

Doves: Lost Souls
Air:Moon Safari
Zero 7

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
What I would love is for a few of the old quadrophonic albums from the 70s to be released in some 4-channel discrete format which the consumer could actually play. While the matrix records will play back through Dolby Surround systems [though the channel assignments are screwy] there is little chance now of finding a CD-4 detector, and the appropriate player and Shibata stylus, and a copy of the record which hasn't had the subcarrier worn away by being played for years on a stereo machine. How about "Colours of the Day" or "The Doors: Greatest Hits"?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
For Thomas Dolby, I am hoping for The Aliens Ate My Buick, which I just suggested in another thread as being a very well done CD.

As for Missing Persons, just last night I pulled out a min-LP that I have (33 1/3, 4 tracks), including Words, which was a bit of a hit back in the day.

This one sounds great on the new TT. Dale Bozzio's squeak still gives me wood for some strange reason.

Wait, did I type that out loud?????:D

BGL

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The first 3 J-M Jarre albums,Mike Oldfield:Hergest Ridge,Incantations,Five Miles Out,Amarok,Ommadawn,TB 2,3.Songs Of A Distant Earth.
All Tangerine Dream and Vangelis releases[too many to list]
Enya,Lisa Gerard,Loretta Mc Kennit,ELP[Trilogy,Tarkus,Pictures At An Exhibition]
The LOTR Triology soundtrack.
That's it for now! :D

Ryan Lee Bates

Auditioning
Elliot Schiener to remix Radiohead is an excellent idea. Oh the enjoyment from hearing a master work such as OK Computer on a HiRez format. It brings joy to my ears. We can only wait and hope.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here's two more albums that I like but aren't so popular that I don't think they will scare a label's accounting department (my first list was from memory; last night I was straightening my CD collection and ran across these):

DJ Cam Mad Blunted Jazz This is some dark-sounding (not depressing, just really moody) abstract hip-hop/jazz. The track "Sang-Lien" always totally creeped-out one of my buddies--I like it but it definitely can bum you out if you are already in a bad mood. One weird thing about this album: after the track timer starts advancing every track has a two second delay before it actually plays. :crazy: At Cduniverse.com & Cam's label (that's where that funky "S" I see in public comes from!!)

2) Mike Watt Ball-Hog Or Tugboat? I don't think all tunes on this punkish album are suitable for surround--could a label mix up 5.1 tracks and stereo tracks on a disc (i.e. just put silence in the rear, LFE and center channels)? All the different artists here make for a musical rollercoaster ride and surprisingly for a punky album the sound quality is very good (for example when a phone rings--a real mechanical bell--on track 10 it sounds incredibly realistic). At Cduniverse.com The two figures on the cover are doing a legitimate wrestling move and not....um.....something else. :b Here's the homepage of one of punk's original innovators >>> Mike Watt's Hoot Page

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks