What's new

"More American Graffiti" original music? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm that the new More American Graffiti DVD is the theatrical version? It was released briefly on laserdisc but had "Some Music Rescored". The DVD cover doesn't indicate this, but I still wanted to make sure before buying it.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I dunno. I'd like to know exactly what music was rescored so we'll be able to tell when the DVD comes out.

At least we know the AR will be correct.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Universal has been pretty good about clearing music rights issues in the days of DVD. JAWS and FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH were rescored for VHS but restored on DVD, so one hopes they will have already done the same for MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The disc is already in the stores- I would've picked it up yesterday but there were just too many titles I wanted to get all of them, plus I'd already gotten burned on "Valley Girl" which has one song replaced even though there's no note of it on the cover. (Don't even get me started on Revenge Of The Nerds!)

Mike Farley

Auditioning
Watching the disc even as I type. Sounds like all the original music is there, but I won't swear to it. I've only seen the movie on video, so I can't compare it to a theatrical release.

Slightly off topic: Is it wrong that I enjoy More American Graffiti every bit as much as I do the original?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jesse-

What was rescored on Revenge of the Nerds?

I already knew about Valley Girl and, while I have the new DVD, I will hold onto to my old Vestron VHS copy which preserves the missing Men at Work song on the soundtrack.

Atleast with MCA/Universal, we were forewarned with the infamous "Home Video Version" and "Some Music Rescored for Home Video" disclaimers. They also happened to be the worst offenders when it came to this practice--I used to have a list of all the Universal titles that had been rescored (from the pre-DVD age) And, it is true that Universal has been reissuing most of their long "rescored" titles with their theatrical soundtracks back in place--finally.

I would love to see Paramount follow suit and issue DVDs of Baby, It's You, French Postcards, Medium Cool, The President's Analyst, and American Hot Wax with original, theatrical soundtracks restored to home video.

Some MCA/Universal titles with original soundtracks still MIA on DVD:
Nighthawks
The Great Waldo Pepper
Cheech and Chong's Next Movie (new release pending)
The Wild Life
Blue Collar (Anchor Bay DVD is still rescored)

Does anyone know if Anchor Bay's Where the Buffalo Roam features the original soundtrack or is it the same rescored soundtrack that appeared on the old MCA/Universal issues of the film?

On a final note, some of these titles were available in earlier video incarnations with original music intact.

Jon

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I like More American Graffiti as well, especially the section with Terry in Viet Nam.

If you read, you might try to hunt down the novelisation written by the screenwriters'. In it you find out that it was Harrison Ford's and Suzanne Somers characters that were in the car that killed John Milner.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Revenge Of The Nerds has a few seconds cut out because it showed a phone number. I bought it on street date before hearing about this; if I had known I would not have bought it.
After getting Universal's High School set and getting forced trailers on all 3 discs, I'm not sure if I want to buy anything else from them now anyways.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The song playing in the background when the fat lady is getting out of the water, before Alex Kintner is introduced.
Wasn't the song originally(?) coming from the radio on the beach in Jaws "I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John?

Anyway I'm looking forward to picking up MAG soon. The camerawork used in Terry's scenes in Vietnam are amazing. I almost wish they used some of the original poster artwork because it was so cool, patterned after the old 60's psychadelic/Filmore rock show posters.
http://movieposter.com/cgi-bin/showp...G&pid=A70-5519

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'm in the minority that likes MAG better than the original too.
but i haven't seen it in a good number of years so that opinion might change (although i'm still not a big fan of the original).

shame Universal doesn't use the original art for these.
if i could dig up a copy of the LP, it used the same art as the one-sheet. would make for a great DIY jacket (although i get less and less bothered by crappy jacket art and snappers and digipaks as the years go by...just as long as the movie looks and sounds good).

speaking of which...any reviews for this?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Unfortunately, it seems MGM has struck us with the "rescored" blues on not only Valley Girl, but also The Last American Virgin.

Human League's "Love Action" has been replaced by a second dosage of Devo's "Whip It." The offending moment occurs in the scene at the hamburger joint when Rick demands the keys to Gary's grandmother's house. And to think I sold my old VHS copy which contains the full, original soundtrack. :angry:

Curiously, the original theatrical trailer, which is included on the DVD, opens with the first few seconds of "Love Action."

The end credits do not reflect the removal of "Love Action" as it is still listed there.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks