What's new

Monty Python’s Flying Circus Restored for Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I taped up the damage so I asked for the refund of 10 pounds and to my surprised two hours later I received a notice from my credit card company about the refund. That was faster than the Upper Class Twit of the Year race!

Kind of lazy today to look..

How much is 10 pounds American?

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Who did Network use for shipping? I bought a 60i set from Deep Discount with no damage at all and a 50i box as a gift for someone from Amazon UK and it only had a minor tear on one of the dividers. I the UK order was shipped by DHL and the US order via USPS. Seems weird that so many were destroyed and a fair number survived. Glad Network is making good on this for those receiving damaged boxes.

In looking closer at the design, I think the individual season sets could be dislodged from the small recesses they are supposed to sit in at the base of the box resulting in the full weight to be easily displaced laterally.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
A joke in our family occurred when we reached our 25th wedding anniversary. We exchanged gifts to each other. My wife received a romantic piece of good jewelry. I requested and received “The Complete Monty Python” DVD set. This says it all about our personalities!

This year we reach our 40th anniversary. There is a new Blu ray set out ... ?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Who did Network use for shipping? I bought a 60i set from Deep Discount with no damage at all and a 50i box as a gift for someone from Amazon UK and it only had a minor tear on one of the dividers. I the UK order was shipped by DHL and the US order via USPS. Seems weird that so many were destroyed and a fair number survived. Glad Network is making good on this for those receiving damaged boxes.

In looking closer at the design, I think the individual season sets could be dislodged from the small recesses they are supposed to sit in at the base of the box resulting in the full weight to be easily displaced laterally.
I would not keep these on their side very long

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Question for those with the US/60I sets

Are UK logos anywhere on the digipak and Discs
I'm pretty sure the logos aren't on the Outer Box, Books or Slipcases on either the US or UK sets

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Got my set today from Amazon. Not a bump or a scratch on the box, it arrived in absolutely pristine condition. But enough about cheap cardboard packaging...the episodes themselves look AMAZING and each of the 4 seasons comes with an exhaustive 200-page book. So that’s 800 pages covering every aspect of every episode with the episodes themselves looking as great as we’ll likely ever see them. I’m totally blown away by this set. Highly, highly recommended.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Unknown.jpeg

Would someone check the menus on Disc 1 and 2 of Season 2 set?

From what I can see --- well I can't see --- the selections being made

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Was that what you wanted me to check? I’m really looking forward to spending time with this box and those books. Again, really impressed with the packaging of this set. It truly feels exhaustive.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A joke in our family occurred when we reached our 25th wedding anniversary. We exchanged gifts to each other. My wife received a romantic piece of good jewelry. I requested and received “The Complete Monty Python” DVD set. This says it all about our personalities!

This year we reach our 40th anniversary. There is a new Blu ray set out ... ?
Congratulations on your 40th anniversary, Terry! :)

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sometime late last week Target a added the Python BR set as a pre-order (I'd looked earlier and didn't find it). I discovered this in the last hours of their buy 2 get 1 free sale last night so added the upcoming Abbott & Costello BR movie set and another random, identically priced, set (which will be returned - they prorate the discount proportionately to all titles and it stays if one is returned) to get the sale price - the 2 sets I'll be keeping come out to ~$91/each shipped. Amazon orders (neither of which has yet shipped) have been cancelled.

I'd like to get an undamaged outer box but for that price I can live with it if it's not.[/QUOTES]
Sigh... I just don't get Target. The set was in stock when I placed the order (and not on pre-order status). Before it processed for shipping it went OOS and is now on BO. You'd think they'd have had enough in stock to supply orders placed during that sale. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing and they'll actually get some and not just cancel the order.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Only received this yesterday (had to have it delivered to a UPS access point due to being out of town), but I had a chance to watch one episode (one of my favorites, The Buzz Aldrin Show) and the remastering featurette with Terry Gilliam. This is the 60 Hz version, which is fine, since I was concerned about the 50Hz version having compatibility issues down the line.

The care put into the remastering is astounding. They didn't make the 16mm stuff look too pristine while the video-based stuff still looks like video. But as Mr. Gilliam states in the featurette, it's like how the Sistine Chapel looked after being cleaned up. For that matter, they were brilliant to have him sit in as he's supervised so many remasters of his own work. It's weird seeing everything look so clear, especially with the encoding allowing complete frames to be visible.

I was fearing the worst about the packaging, except it came in a large box with a smaller one inside still with Technicolor labels. Not a bit of damage. All the slipcases and the main box seem to be the thick board stock used on stuff like Arrow and Indicator slipcases. Looking forward to diving into the detailed notes. There's also a little booklet with content notes and a statement on the remastering. Worth noting that some episodes apparently had to resort to some inferior sources for completeness and they included the broadcast versions of some moments with "censored" audio or video as extras.

Going to go through at least the first series before the year is out. Easily one of the best releases of the year. Now if we can finally get Blu-rays of And Now For Something Completely Different and Live at the Hollywood Bowl...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was that what you wanted me to check? I’m really looking forward to spending time with this box and those books. Again, really impressed with the packaging of this set. It truly feels exhaustive.

As long as you can clearly see the selections being made.

Maybe it's just the player I am using. It's an older BD player and the firmware has not been updated.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Same issues with the damaged box here. I am not a fan of packaging that takes up space, so I will move to more compact storage solution anyway, but gawd this is poorly thought out.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Same issues with the damaged box here. I am not a fan of packaging that takes up space, so I will move to more compact storage solution anyway, but gawd this is poorly thought out.

Hey, don't get mad at Network they thought they hired the right people to create and assemble the box-set. I'd give them a pass on this tiny design flaw as some of team underwent brain surgery, it didn't help any; but you can only do so much when your brain is essentially a hamster running on a wheel stuck inside jello to begin with.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks