What's new

Monty Python’s Flying Circus Restored for Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Received mine this week. The center divider was damaged, while the other dividers are intact, as is the rest of the box. An email was submitted to the Networkonair.com support site. I was surprised to this damage occur. I have order many bluray's and box sets directly from them without issue. It appears the designer of the set did not take into consideration shipping durability. Taking a close look at the promo picture, the divider in no way resembles what was actually provided.

A thin plastic would've done the job.

Hell, foam between the sets would've done it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Oh, as for the episodes...

They look great. Beteeen this and Doctor Who, I'm becoming a convert to upscaled 576i video. Turns out there is useful information there to be had, even if the picture isn't originally 1080.

Imagine how good The Muppet Show could look if the NTSC-sourced Fraggle Rock still managed to look better than DVD.

The so-called "soap opera effect" on 4k TVs is actually useful for keeping video looking like video. My Mom has one at her house, the one technology she got before me. The last time I visited her, I watched Maude on DVD and The Golden Girls on Hulu, and surprisingly enough the former, undoubtedly shot on 2" NTSC Quad while Walt only knows what format the latter was shot on, looked better, though the credits' mix of film and tape looked strange. It smoothed out the "ghost frames" that pre-1980s film chains created in converting 24p film to 30i video, but the electronically generated credits' movement was odd. With Golden Girls there are no film inserts, but they must have used a later tape generation for the DVD/Hulu transfers in addition to lying about the show not being stereo until season 3; Hulu restored the stereo to seasons 1-2. You'd think a 1980s show would look sharper than a 1970s show, but no. And I also think Disney tried to "filmize" it because even with the soap opera effect, the credits looked wonky, especially Dorothy throwing her hands up.

But on my constant image height screen with a 1080p projector, Python actually looks better than new with the technical limitations of the era partially lifted and while restoring redacted content. This puts all the prior NTSC conversions we Americans have had to deal for years with to shame. We really are living in quite an age when this can be done.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally got home to open my package.

My shipment was damaged as well.

It's around the inner cardboard that holds the individual season sets. Same as the photos some of you have uploaded.

Sent a complaint to NETWORK

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sometime late last week Target a added the Python BR set as a pre-order (I'd looked earlier and didn't find it). I discovered this in the last hours of their buy 2 get 1 free sale last night so added the upcoming Abbott & Costello BR movie set and another random, identically priced, set (which will be returned - they prorate the discount proportionately to all titles and it stays if one is returned) to get the sale price - the 2 sets I'll be keeping come out to ~$91/each shipped. Amazon orders (neither of which has yet shipped) have been cancelled.

I'd like to get an undamaged outer box but for that price I can live with it if it's not.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have watch the first 3 episodes so far and very impressed with the colors and the clean image. Also the menu and navigation is easier than the 16 Ton Megaset which I thought was clunky.

Real Name
Steven Burstein
"I Love Lucy" was that only American T.V. series I ever wanted to own in its entirety.
But when it comes to the only British T.V. series I ever wanted to own in its entirety;
it's Monty, it's Python, it's Flying and it's Circus.
Now I am complete.:)
I wouldn't mind having a complete HANCOCK'S HALF HOUR(granted it's available in the UK!).

Real Name
Steven Burstein
More things that puzzled me. NTSC versions of FLYING CIRCUS didn't exist before 1974, but PYTHON had been shown in Canada some time before then! Did CBC show earlier NTSC tapes that were subsequently erased? Were they B/W film telerecordings(many BBC programs went to other countries on B/W film instead of VT)? Had CBC done their own conversions and then junked them? Hmm.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Received another email from Network about the damaged box sets. Happy that they are informing me on the problem and i hope what they will do about it.

Dear Customer

Apologies again if you are one of the unlucky recipients of a damaged box set. We share your disappointment, especially as the restorations and books themselves have been receiving such acclaim.
We are investigating this as a matter of urgency and we await feedback from our manufacturing, packing and courier partners. We will get back to you just as soon as we can but thanks for your patience and understanding in the meantime.
Their reply should have ended with "those responsible for the damage have been sacked".

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
More things that puzzled me. NTSC versions of FLYING CIRCUS didn't exist before 1974, but PYTHON had been shown in Canada some time before then! Did CBC show earlier NTSC tapes that were subsequently erased? Were they B/W film telerecordings(many BBC programs went to other countries on B/W film instead of VT)? Had CBC done their own conversions and then junked them? Hmm.

CBC definitely broadcast Python in color. What is your source for the claim that NTSC masters didn't exist before 1974 ? If it came from a U.S. source, it's quite possible that source didn't even consider that Canada may have been ahead of them in any way, shape or form.

CBC carried plenty of British programming in those days so this question would apply to more than just the Python series.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Many missing episodes of Doctor Who for instance were found in Canada from broadcasts on TV Ontario. As far as Python is concerned, we had been watching the show for at least a couple of years before they even heard of it south of the border.

Real Name
Steven Burstein
CBC definitely broadcast Python in color. What is your source for the claim that NTSC masters didn't exist before 1974 ? If it came from a U.S. source, it's quite possible that source didn't even consider that Canada may have been ahead of them in any way, shape or form.

CBC carried plenty of British programming in those days so this question would apply to more than just the Python series.
According to their US manager Nancy Lewis, the major hurdle for trying to sell PYTHON in the US before 1974(besides that American TV was as isolationist as Mainland Chinese TV)was that there were no NTSC versions of the programs, and current owner Time-Life couldn't afford to make them. Then the summer replacement series "Dean Martin's Comedy World" bought clips to use on the show, and the fee they paid for them financed the conversions. This confused me as I knew CBC had shown PYTHON. I guess the versions CBC used had already been erased.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
My set arrived today. Same issue, broken cardboard dividers that were between the sets. I can't see any way they ever would have survived. Not an issue. I bought it for the content, not the decorative box.

Last edited:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I seem to be the ony person whose box survived the journey intact! That being said, it's a cumbersome thing and, with limited space in our condo, I put mine into storage already.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This appears to be a response from Network -- I couldn't source it, but it looks like it may be an email that was posted. This appears to be some good news at least for those who ordered direct from Network

"Dear Monty Python fan

Many thanks for your patience whilst we’ve been investigating problems with damaged boxes. Having listened to the feedback from everyone in the chain including the box manufacturer, the packers, the couriers, but most of all you, our customer, we’re delighted to tell you that we are now implementing some measures to make up for the disappointment of receiving a damaged box.

If you are one of those affected, we’re happy to offer one of the following :

An unconditional refund of £10.
An empty replacement box at no cost. We do have a reasonable quantity of spare boxes but they are limited.
A full refund should you decide to return the complete deluxe boxset to our freepost address.

In order for us to arrange this for you as quickly as possible, please can you reply to this email supplying:

Your 6 digit networkonair order number
Photographic evidence of the damage to your order

The offer of a replacement box is made on a first come first served basis. The teams are in place to deal with your choice as quickly as we can, we look forward to receiving your instructions."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks