What's new

Monster or Acoustic Research S-Video cable (1 Viewer)

Mark Bates

Agent
I have narrowed my choices down due to budget and cable length to Monster Cable Video 3 6 meter S-Video for $50.00 or Acoustic Research Pro S-Video 25 feet for $26.00.

I am very happy with the AR pro audio cables, but I have no experience with their S-Video cables.

Monster states "True 75Ohm cable even when bent"

AR has no such claim, but does say "double shielded"

Is the Monster worth the extra $24.00?

I looked at some custom cable makers, but found most to be out of my price range. I really only need about 16 feet.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike Pgh

Auditioning
In that price range I don't think it's really going to matter much which cable you go with. I have the AR Pro Component cables and chose them over Monster based on price. Personally, I would go with the AR S-video cable.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I think someone posted before about their switch from AR pro to master series and was very happy with the difference. You can't go wrong with any of them. The concensus is that Monster cables are good quality but not great value. I have bought AR cables in the past but have since switched to Ultralinks. Why don't you buy from a store with a good return policy and try them both. If your place does not have much interference the AR should be more than fine.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
I have the AR s-video Pro Series cable and I'm very satisfied with it, the image quality is amazing. I haven't tried the Monster cable though.

Razvan

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I have the AR Pro Series cables, for both audio and video. The S-Video cables are very high quality. They are as thick as the Monster Sub cables - very, very thick. They are shielded really well. I heard from several places that the AR Pro cables are actually made at the same place that the Monster cables are, so there really shouldn't be a huge difference. I don't know how true that is, but they look alike.

I would say get the AR cables, but it wouldn't hurt to do a test in your system. I "upgraded" from Radio Shack Gold cables, and I really didn't see a difference, but you may.

Bryan

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the ARs, frankly they are better built than the Monsters (in the same price category). I've got at least 2 monster S cables that fell apart on my, frankly I think they are over-rated (I've got plenty of them). For the money AR cannot be beat and you cannot go wrong with them.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I use AR s-video and optical cables for my DVD player, and will soon be buying another batch for Xbox and sat receiver. I'm very happy with their performance and especially the price.
I've found http://www.consumer-direct.com to have good prices on them.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, Jeff, I understand you well. I also had a Monster S-video cable I was using which accidentally broke on me. As a resul, I needed to replace it for my DVD and laserdisc player and ended up going with an RCA Digital S-video cable as a quick fix of sorts.
And...believe it or not..it not only did a great job...but it also did a better job than the Monster ever actually did!!! Better color separation, better clarity, higher definition, etc. For $19.99, it was more than worth it.
In fact, so much that I shall be picking up another one next month as I shall eventually need two for the two LD players I will have in my main system. (DVD will get component video cables upon the arrival of my new television next year.)
So, I would say, on that note, try the AR's. Or even the RCA Digitals. Or, simply put, do what you like. :)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Give Ultralinks a try as well. I picked them over the ARs. I think that with most cables, you got to be in an environment with really bad interference to really make a cable prove itself.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
The ARs are decent. For the same price, you would get a lower line of Monsters. This is not a shot at Monsters as I do like their cables! Without revealing my sources, I know for a fact that Monster makes the AR cables, and until very recently, made the RCA home theater cables as well. (From the tips, to the packaging). It's easy to see the similarities (thick jackets, twist designs, and large RCA connectors with super tight grips)

Elbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks