What's new

Monster Cables & The 10% Rule (1 Viewer)

SteveBro

Agent
Monster is quite the marketing machine, and you've got to hand it to them. I've been to their headquarters and met Noel, and it's marketing, marketing, marketing everywhere. Their people (even the ones that don't work in sales or marketing) generally have very impressive knowledge of their products and capabilities. You've got to hand it to them for building the company into what it is today. Their sales are now far beyond the '98 number quoted in the article.

They treat people who sell their products very well. I felt like I was treated like a king.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I'd never buy their cables. For the price theirs definitely better out there. I'd laugh at anyone who would spend $170CDN on a Monster Optical cable when I spent $30CDN and got a pure glass cable. Now I have to admit their audio components(eg: HTS 5000mkII and AVS2000) are well constructed piece of equipment. Sure their expensive but if your into haggling you can get the price down or pick one up for cheap on private sales.

Kevin

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The 10% rule has always been rubbish. There are too many factors to just blindly go by such a percentage. There are many instances where 30% or 5% might be the answer. The best rule is to home audition a cable you feel represents the best value for what you can afford.

I think Monster likes the 10% rule because it gives a saleperson a floor to guilt a consumer into thinking is the bare minimum they should spend.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'm suprised that a publication like Forbes would be crying foul when a company is achieving success. It seems to go against the very thing they stand for.
You must not read Forbes much. They have always been a strong advocate for the consumer. They are pro-capitalism (aren't we all?) but that does not mean they won't reveal honest facts about margins and sales gimmicks to help consumer make a better choice.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
We all know the 10% rule was formulated so that sales droids could quickly move the decimal place over and direct the customer to cables that were close to that in price. It's the new math. Sometimes though they move it in the wrong direction. Practice, practice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks