What's new

Modulator (1 Viewer)

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
I have upgraded my DirecTV system at home and now want to modulate one of my receivers to a channel other than 3 or 4. I am interested in modulating one of my receivers to channel 26. I found a Ce Labs 1001st RF Modulator. Does this take a sterio input (red and white connections) as well as a yellow video connection? In this case, I am interested in a simple modulated channel for standard TVs.

Has anyone done this with high definition signals so the modulator can pass a high definition channel plus 5.1 sound? Any ideas for a modulator for this option?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
What is your motive for using a modulator, rather than just running audio and video cables? As far as High Definition, the coding for placing this signal into a television channel is very complex, and I'm not aware of any consumer device which can generate a ATSC signal — not to mention that taking component outputs from a decoder box and re-encoding it would add a layer of MPEG corruption. If your decoder box has a FireWire output, that transmits the compressed digital signal as it is, which might be of some use to you. In theory, it would be possible to use an RF carrier signal for MUSE or TCI high-definition transmission formats, which carry both picture and sound in an analog form ; but there is no equipment in the US which can even recognise these Japanese standards, much less process them.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I Modulate my directv HD receiver for whole house distribution along with other video sources. I have Directv, Bell Express VU, and 2 outdoor camera's and basic cable. I use a 4 channel stereo modulator to distribute all these sources to all tv's in the house. In addition to the Modulator I had to add a low pass filter to the cable to clean up the upper channels in the cable band. I'm using channel 86 for one camera, 110 for directv, 115 for Bell express VU, and 120 for my Zone2 Out of my Home theater so I can pump anything in my home theater using the zone2 switching to access any source on my home theater throughout the house.

If all you need is one channel then a single stereo modulator will work just fine. I would suggest a digital modulator rather than an analog.

Your HD Directv will output HD via component and also 480 composite at the same time. You will not get true HD in the other rooms, you will get a downconverted HD to 480 coming out of your directv receiver, but that is fine. You can view all your HD Channels throughout your house on channel 26.
It's just downconverted to the 480 standard using the composite output of the Directv receiver.

Check out this link to modulators...

http://www.merchantamerica.com/utahs...&category=3535

Robert_Lamb

Stunt Coordinator
I want to distribute the DirecTV DVR signal to other TVs in my house. Similar to the post above. For now, I just need a basic signal.

I wondered if anyone had experience with the CE Labs 1001st. It looks like what I need but I can't find any information about the inputs for this device.

http://www.beachaudio.com/product_re...ducts_id=21129

I wondered if there was a product like this that takes all 5 (composite plus sound) inputs for HDTV and modulates it to another channel as well.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The Modulator that you are looking at will work just fine. The Inputs are Composite video (yellow) and Right(red) and left (white) audio. It's a good modulator simular to the one I use. Good Stereo sound on the modulated side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks