What's new

Modify Oppo UDP 203 For Region B/2 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For my 103, I find the "setup" change and the "wait 10 secs" after power-off to be unnecessary... but that 1st step is definitely important... plus not waiting too long (maybe no more than 15-30 secs) after the player's on-and-ready for executing the region switch.

_Man_
The "setup" change depends on the disc according to the Region Code Operation instructs. I usually don't bother with it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sounds fairly easy. Anyone aware of a downside to adapting the Oppo for All Region? Almost everything has a side effect.

Thank you all for your help.

No downsides at all. I had a BDP-103 for years that I used with the external mod, followed by a UDP-203. Both functioned almost flawlessly. The only exception being the occasional problematic disc playback that required a firmware update from Oppo to correct. Those instances had nothing to do with the RF mod though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, these days our family actually usually just leave our Oppo 103 in region B and play any region-A-locked BDs on our modest 4K player instead.

Most(?) BDs don't actually seem to be region locked anyway (though plenty are... and it's not always easy to tell w/out trying to play the disc, except in cases like Criterion titles), and we find it simpler to just switch players instead (even though I have the commands programmed into our Harmony remote)... plus it probably reduces the wear-and-tear on our Oppo...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks