What's new

Modify Oppo UDP 203 For Region B/2 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Craig H
First time posting.....

I've been led to believe that a kit/device exists to adapt my Oppo UDP 203
to allow the player to play other Region Blu rays. Oppo customer service
didn't mention how this works but asserted it was an exterior hook up
rather than something inside the player.

Does this sound realistic? Thanks for your help.

Craig

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep. Lots of people have them, including me, though mine is for the BDP-103. They’re available on eBay.

Real Name
Craig H
Yep. Lots of people have them, including me, though mine is for the BDP-103. They’re available on eBay.
Thanks for responding John.

Would you be able to provide any further information? What it's called?
Is it a plug? Do you simply add it and remove it when playing Region 1
discs?

Thanks.

Craig

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This has been the std mod people have used for years though it used to be available as little as $50. This same unit works on at least 93/95, 103/105, and 203/205. At least one person swears it worked even on some of the 80 series units.

It can be plugged into the RS232 port and USB externally or installed internally. Even the internal install on the 203 is pretty easy. It remains plugged in all the time

It automatically plays all DVDs without any input. The Bluray mod you have to manually change from A to B to C and back again when necessary

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a card you connect to the back of the player. I'm sure they're getting in short supply since Oppo no longer makes players.

The one linked above doesn't specifically state it works on the 203, but THIS ONE does. They're from the same seller.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I own an Oppo UDP-205 and have toyed with doing this for years. There have been 2 major companies selling the modification, which can be internal or external with no soldering needed. I had the websites for both: jvbdigital.nl and bluraychip.dk. After reading this thread I thought I might take the plunge and found that bluraychip.dk no longer appears to be in business. This scared me into making the purchase while I can and I bought the internal kit from jvbdigital.nl. Get them while you can!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a card you connect to the back of the player. I'm sure they're getting in short supply since Oppo no longer makes players.

The one linked above doesn't specifically state it works on the 203, but THIS ONE does. They're from the same seller.

From people that have bought them [the Ebay Ext/Int Modules] - they are the same board except the price. The same company used to sell the device listed for the 93/103/203 and each would be priced differently -- as much as a 90-100 difference. The $20-30 difference obviously isn;t as extreme, but ...

Unless someone has something more concrete, I'd buy the lower priced mod. You could ask the seller a question, but I'm guessing they might not be forthcoming about the interchangeability

[The jvbdigital.nl and bluraychip.dk versions are internal only]

I own an Oppo UDP-205 and have toyed with doing this for years. There have been 2 major companies selling the modification, which can be internal or external with no soldering needed. I had the websites for both: jvbdigital.nl and bluraychip.dk. After reading this thread I thought I might take the plunge and found that bluraychip.dk no longer appears to be in business. This scared me into making the purchase while I can and I bought the internal kit from jvbdigital.nl. Get them while you can!

The internal install on the 205 is far more complicated and requires removing all sorts of the specialty boards to get to the plug in header. The 203 is pretty easy, the 205 is an entirely different process though the same mod works for it.

I would definitely check the step by step procedure and walk gently unless you pretty comfortable removing and replacing layers of electronics

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From people that have bought them - they are the same board except the price. The same company used to sell the device listed for the 93/103/203 and each would be priced differently -- as much as a 90-100 difference. The $20-30 difference obviously isn;t as extreme, but ...
It just seemed like that should be clarified, which it wasn't originally.

Real Name
Craig H

This has been the std mod people have used for years though it used to be available as little as $50. This same unit works on at least 93/95, 103/105, and 203/205. At least one person swears it worked even on some of the 80 series units.

It can be plugged into the RS232 port and USB externally or installed internally. Even the internal install on the 203 is pretty easy. It remains plugged in all the time

It automatically plays all DVDs without any input. The Bluray mod you have to manually change from A to B to C and back again when necessary

Hi David
I may not be the right person for the job. Easy for you but a challenge for me. I’m a techno-peasant.

Real Name
Craig H
From people that have bought them - they are the same board except the price. The same company used to sell the device listed for the 93/103/203 and each would be priced differently -- as much as a 90-100 difference. The $20-30 difference obviously isn;t as extreme, but ...

Unless someone has something more concrete, I'd buy the lower priced mod. You could ask the seller a question, but I'm guessing they might not be forthcoming about the interchangeability

The internal install on the 205 is far more complicated and requires removing all sorts of the specialty boards to get to the plug in header. The 203 is pretty easy, the 205 is an entirely different process though the same mod works for it.

I would definitely check the step by step procedure and walk gently unless you pretty comfortable removing and replacing layers of electronics

Hi Again

Pretty sure I’m not ready to do this but a qualified tech could perform this. After the board is installed is there a function to perform or player chooses which Region and board to choose?

After I asked Oppo customer service why the players were not Region Free or multi region I was told Oppo would not then be classified as a Blu Ray manufacturer.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi Again

Pretty sure I’m not ready to do this but a qualified tech could perform this. After the board is installed is there a function to perform or player chooses which Region and board to choose?

After I asked Oppo customer service why the players were not Region Free or multi region I was told Oppo would not then be classified as a Blu Ray manufacturer.

The external modification is absolutely simple -- literally plug on port into the RS232 port and the pigtail into the USB port.
The internal version is almost as easy - one plug in on a preexisting header. It's harder to get the 6-8 screws out and back in than the insert the module on the 93/03/203 -- I'm sure there is a Youtube video to watch. No soldering, no extra switches, no firmware updates -- it just works as soon as you plug the unit back in. The 205 is an entirely different beast than the 203 for an internal mod -- the external installation if you get the Int/Ext item from Ebay is 100% the same

If you're in the US 220 electronics will install an internal module for a 140 + shipping or just the module for $90 (can't be installed externally)

Real Name
Craig H
The external modification is absolutely simple -- literally plug on port into the RS232 port and the pigtail into the USB port.
The internal version is almost as easy - one plug in on a preexisting header. It's harder to get the 6-8 screws out and back in than the insert the module on the 93/03/203 -- I'm sure there is a Youtube video to watch. No soldering, no extra switches, no firmware updates -- it just works as soon as you plug the unit back in. The 205 is an entirely different beast than the 203 for an internal mod -- the external installation if you get the Int/Ext item from Ebay is 100% the same

If you're in the US 220 electronics will install an internal module for a 140 + shipping or just the module for $90 (can't be installed externally)

Thank you David. Definitely check it out.

Youtube has led me through some otherwise daunting procedures.
Or maybe I can find someone here in southern California.

Best

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is nothing to the external installation.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For Blu-Ray, how do you select region after install?

"Region selection for Blu-ray is accomplished by pressing the following combinations of buttons on the player’s remote:

Region A: DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE-1
Region B: DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE-2
Region C: DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE-3

After entering the code, you need to power off and restart the player for the new region to take effect."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For Blu-Ray, how do you select region after install?
  • Start player and do not put in any disc. Wait until the screen show "No Disc". Do not go to the next step until "No Disc" is displayed on player.
  • Press the "Setup" button on the remote: go to "Playback Setup", set "Auto Resume" to "Off"; then exit "Setup" menu.
  • Press the following buttons in sequence on the Oppo remote:
Region A: Dimmer, Dimmer, Dimmer, Mute, 1
Region B: Dimmer, Dimmer, Dimmer, Mute, 2
Region C: Dimmer, Dimmer, Dimmer, Mute, 3
  • Turn off the player with the power switch on the player. Wait 10 sec after the LED turns to red (machine off)
  • Turn on the player. The Blu-ray region setting will be effective after reboot.

Real Name
Craig H
  • Start player and do not put in any disc. Wait until the screen show "No Disc". Do not go to the next step until "No Disc" is displayed on player.
  • Press the "Setup" button on the remote: go to "Playback Setup", set "Auto Resume" to "Off"; then exit "Setup" menu.
  • Turn off the player with the power switch on the player. Wait 10 sec after the LED turns to red (machine off)
  • Turn on the player. The Blu-ray region setting will be effective after reboot.

Sounds fairly easy. Anyone aware of a downside to adapting the Oppo for All Region? Almost everything has a side effect.

Thank you all for your help.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sounds fairly easy. Anyone aware of a downside to adapting the Oppo for All Region? Almost everything has a side effect.

Thank you all for your help.
Over the years, I've adapted the following Oppo players without any side effect:

Oppo 93
Oppo 103
Oppo 203

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

For my 103, I find the "setup" change and the "wait 10 secs" after power-off to be unnecessary... but that 1st step is definitely important... plus not waiting too long (maybe no more than 15-30 secs) after the player's on-and-ready for executing the region switch.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks