What's new

Mitsu M VR700 Optical frustration (1 Viewer)

lecover

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry LeCover
I'm new to this forum, but glad I registered. Hope I can participate on all levels.

I have a Samsung 50" plasma (HD antennae, no cable) with coax and optical out to a Mitsubishi (1998?) receiver that has optical in. I can't seem to get audio using this path? When I press the digital button on the Mitsubishi remote it tells me "not assigned". What does this mean?

Larry LeCover

www.lecover.com

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You have to go into the setup and tell it where to get it audio from. Lets say you're trying to use the receiver's Aux input to watch TV. Your receiver has multiple connections on the back, lets say HDMI 1-4, Optical 1-3, Coax, 1-3, and stereo 1-4. The receiver can take its audio input for "Aux" from any of those inputs; you have to tell it which one.

lecover

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry LeCover
Al, I wish it was that obvious, but there is no menu/setup button on the remote. I've been looking for the owners manual for the last couple of days, but with no luck.

There are the 10 inputs (DVD-Cable-TV-VCR-CD-5.1 ch-Aux-Tape-Am-Fm) on the remote that correspond to the backside of the Mitsubishi; I've tried them all.

Maybe I have a bad optical cord?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What's the model number of the receiver? (Have you tried to go online for the manual?) Based on those buttons, it seems like you have to do this from the receiver, not the remote. As far as the optical cable, when you have it plugged into the TV, do yhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/309241/mitsu-m-vr700-optical-frustration#ou see a light on the other end? Edit: Never mind. Why do I never look in the heading for the dang model# .... There's no button on the receiver that says something like "input" or "select"?

lecover

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry LeCover
Ah huhhh, the end to the receiver is lit, but the end to the plasma is not! Bad?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
No, that's okay, the signal only goes the one way. I'm fairly confident that what we need to do is find the button that allows you to select the input for DVD-Cable-TV-VCR-CD. What are the other buttons on the receiver?

lecover

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry LeCover
Update: Al- You were absolutely correct. The answer was with the select button. When I used this button, it circled me through the speakers; I never noticed the DVD, TV options at the end of the cycle. Low and behold came the TV w/ the coax1, coax2 and optical options.

I have learned something new today. Thanks Al.

lecover

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry LeCover
Update

Al- You were absolutely correct;The answer was with the select button. When I used this button in the past, it circled me through the speakers; I never noticed the DVD, TV options at the end of the cycle. Low and behold came the TV selection w/ the coax1, coax2 and optical options.

Thanks Al for leading me in the right direction... Larry

lecover

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry LeCover
Al.Anderson said:
No, that's okay, the signal only goes the one way. I'm fairly confident that what we need to do is find the button that allows you to select the input for DVD-Cable-TV-VCR-CD. What are the other buttons on the receiver?
Al, you were absolutely correct; it was the select button. In the past, I used the select button to adjust the surround speakers, never noticing the DVD, TV options at the end of the cycle. When I investigated, this morning, the TV came up as "off". Low and behold when I scanned through those options, coax1, coax2, optical, I had my solution. Thanks for leading me in the right direction... Larry LeCover

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm glad it worked out!

It was bothering me no end that I couldn't find a manual online. It's because of things like this, getting help, that I've have moved online tech support high on the list when I buy new components. Some manufacturers provide easy download, some you have to jump through hoops for, and some are non-existent.

silverado 3030

Auditioning
Real Name
adan
lecover said:
Update: Al- You were absolutely correct.  The answer was with the select button.  When I used this button, it circled me through the speakers;  I never noticed the DVD, TV options at the end of the cycle.  Low and behold came the TV w/ the coax1, coax2 and optical options.   I have learned something new today.  Thanks Al.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks