What's new

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The lack of extras doesn't bother me when we are essentially getting HD versions of the show for less than $10 per season. If this was a premium release, then I think you could legitimately expect newly produced extra content but I'll take what it is for the price.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
As a fan of DVD and BD home entertainment for many years, I have decided many package creators intentionally try to create difficult, flimsy and damage-causing packaging. Lost In Space is among the worst I ever saw. This looks only marginally better. Apeears I will have to buy some six- and seven-disc cases....again.... (sigh).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
In a way it’s like the Trek updates I iften go back to the original DVDs as they have the original mixes and the have changed the audio a lot on the modern disks, they show looks retry good on the DVDs which I have, if I can get the blu rays for cheap in the future I may double dip

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Star Trek, The Fugitive and Mission Impossible DVDs all look good, any other CBS/Paramount TV DVD recommendations?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Perry Mason looks very good. I reviewed a number of half-season releases, and the transfers were nearly always quite solid, particularly of the later seasons.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I can only recall a handful of CBS DVD seasons that didn't look good. I remember Hawaii Five O (original) had one, and a few others. Generally they have been uniformily excellent. I'm happy to double dip on MI for basically $12 a season for BDs. The lack of bonus features really don't matter to me. I'm excited to get the set. I wish more complete series sets of classic TV would be released this way--all at once, in HD, and at a reasonable price, even bare bones.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I can only recall a handful of CBS DVD seasons that didn't look good. I remember Hawaii Five O (original) had one, and a few others. Generally they have been uniformily excellent. I'm happy to double dip on MI for basically $12 a season for BDs. The lack of bonus features really don't matter to me. I'm excited to get the set. I wish more complete series sets of classic TV would be released this way--all at once, in HD, and at a reasonable price, even bare bones.

so started the Timeless/CBS DVD The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, and can honestly say that if they went back the the original 35 mm films, and gave this a proper release, Its short only two seasons, as good as the this is I can only assume that this would be breathtakingly beautiful , the natural settings and yes it could be bare bones the same as this up coming release, but looked great , i would be first in line to pick it up.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
so started the Timeless/CBS DVD The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, and can honestly say that if they went back the the original 35 mm films, and gave this a proper release, Its short only two seasons, as good as the this is I can only assume that this would be breathtakingly beautiful , the natural settings and yes it could be bare bones the same as this up coming release, but looked great , i would be first in line to pick it up.

me too. this and The Monroes. The Grand Teton location would be amazing in HD. Heck, if the Monroes was just syndication quality that would be miles better than the current set. i don’t think i have a set in color (unofficial included) that looks as bad as this one. I used to think Room 222 was bad until i saw this one and i’m watching on a 32” ! I’ve heard The Guns Of Will Sonnett was pretty bad too.

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Seems like the first season of Have Gun, Will Travel was pretty poor.

it isnt as good as the other seasons but i’m a lot more forgiving with B&W shows . The Rebel has episodes that are pretty bad also. its a mixed bag w/that set as far as PQ.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Perry Mason looks very good. I reviewed a number of half-season releases, and the transfers were nearly always quite solid, particularly of the later seasons.

Then I'll start with the PM 50th Anniv Collection, it gets good reviews, I havn't seen PM since the 60s!

There is no "best of" for Five-0, as a starting point, are there any particular seasons that stand out?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
There is no "best of" for Five-0, as a starting point, are there any particular seasons that stand out?
Season 3 has an astonishing number of fantastic episodes—the show had really found its groove by this point! The H5O Home Page website also gives high marks to this season’s episodes.

Been watching the digital HD versions of M:I.....they look amazing, same transfers i imagine as the blurays.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Season 3 has an astonishing number of fantastic episodes—the show had really found its groove by this point! The H5O Home Page website also gives high marks to this season’s episodes.

Been watching the digital HD versions of M:I.....they look amazing, same transfers i imagine as the blurays.

Thanks for the help. Five-0 S3 is not available from Netflix so I'll order from Amazon. Now back to MI Blu.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
When the MI Blu-ray boxset was announced I purchased the MI season 2 DVD boxset (the first season in color) for a few dollars. I'm hard of hearing and listen mostly on headphones and MI's surround mix did not distract me, that is a big positive. Again the DVD picture quality is amazing but the stories are rather formulaic and I stopped watching after a couple of discs.

All Mission: Impossible is in color. Its first season in 1966 was the first all-prime-time-in-color season.

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I would assume the reference to English mono tracks was just a cut and paste goof. God knows I've made more than a few of those for my reviews!
He also states the 1988 revival series premiered in 1986 and that the first season with Steven Hill wasn't syndicated. It may not have been shown by stations first but I know it was broadcast because my local CBS station picked up the reruns in 1973 immediately after it left CBS and they definitely showed it during that first year of reruns.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I noticed on the first-season DVDs, there were a few episodes where the opening credits were noticeably darker than other episodes. Perhaps not coincidentally, in these same openings the music is slightly out of sync with the video. Is it that way on the BDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks