What's new

Mirage Speaker.. (1 Viewer)

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I am just wondering if Mirage speaker is any good.. the model are OMNI 250

John

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Having owned those for a while my opinion is that they're not worth the price. The 260s are much better, but, alas, also cost more. From there the OM series are WAY better.

You could do just as well, or better, for a lot less if you shop online. I replaced my 250s with JBL S38II's, which were $240 online, and the JBLs are so much better than the 250s. They even compare favorably to my OM7s, which cost 7 times as much.

I had a chance to compare the 250s with a pair of Aperion Audio's Intumus 522-Ds. The 522-Ds are, roughly, about $340 per pair (depending on the package you get). My parents, my wife, and some family friends were in attendance and all of us thought the Aperions sounded better than the OMNI-250s.

Are you going to buy from Tweeter?

Lee M T

Second Unit
I am real happy with my Mirage speakers. Although, Shane may be onto something. When auditioning, I noticed a tremendous difference between the 250's and 260's. Although bookshelves were what I was really after. I actually didn't even listen to the smaller bookshelves though. So I'm not sure if there would be the same kind of difference in the smaller and larger bookshelf speakers. But I'm very happy with my Omni 60's. Big improvement over my old CV towers, even more bass actually. Kind of odd. And there has been a pretty significant improvement over my old Infinity Sterling bookshelves as well. The center channel is nice as well, added that to the system last month. Definitely starts out bass heavy in the mid-frequencies. It takes a little more break-in to smooth out than the bookshelves do.

I purchased my Omni 60's for $299 a pair! For the price, pretty hard to beat. The sale was going on at Tweeter and was still good about a month ago. It was only to last over the Thanksgiving Day weekend, but it held up for at least a month, and may still be going on. Unfortunately, no half off sales on the other Mirage speakers. But, the guy did offer me the Omni 260's for $820. Not too bad.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
John, some other good Canadian brands to consider are Paradigm, PSB, Athena, Energy and Mission. They are good deals in Toronto.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I hate Lee. :) I paid about $410 a pair for 2 pair ($820 total) of the Omni 60's from my local dealer. Oh well. :)

Some info:

- I haven't read the review yet, but a buddy of mine says the review of the 250 based system in The Inner Ear Report is "glowing". (vol 15, #3, 2003)

- I think WSR also reviewed some Omnis not too long ago. John Kotches maybe (good reviewer). He liked them, but noticed some coloration.

- SGHT reviewed some Omnis maybe 2 months ago. Mostly positive review too. Has measurements.

If you go to www.audiovideoreviews.com (not audioreview.com) and click on the Loudspeakers link, some reviews there too.

Now for me, I will also agree (mostly! :) ) with Shane. I did listening comparisons of the 260's and OM-9's and OM-7's. I ended up with OM-7s up front (with an OM-C2 center), and 4 Omni 60's in the back for the surrounds and rears. The 250's and 260's are pretty decent speakers. But if you can afford the OM-9's or 7's, I think the extra denaro is well worth it. I thought the imaging on the 260's was a tad better than the OM-7's, but I felt the 260's were too forward and the OM-7's were warmer and more laid back. Might also depend on what room and electronics you're going to mate them with too.

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Lee, are these the one you pay $299?

Mirage OMNI60B Omnipolar Bookshelf Speakers in Black - Pair

Lee M T

Second Unit
John, yes those are the ones. The 2-way 6 1/2" bookshelf. Pretty amazing deal.

Kevin, sounds like you got yourself a good deal anyway, considering they were going for $599. The best I could get the salesman to go down, before this sale, was to $549.

At $599 (or $549 for that matter) I thought the Omni 60's were excellent speakers. But I was not going to pay more than $450 or so for a pair of bookshelves. I still had stands to consider, etc. So this deal was too good to pass up. I was originally considering several others, B&W, Energy, Axiom, Paradigm and a few others. I heard most. I was very pleased with all of these manufacturers actually. But $299 could not have come at a better time. It basically narrowed my search down real quick.

I was a bit concerned backing the titanium tweeters with Yamaha power (some think they are bright receivers), but no complaints from me. The speakers seem versatile to me. They can be warm when they want to or bite your head off if need be. :)

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
Heads up for Mirage, I have a pair of the classic M-3si, never will part with em. I have also heard the omni's and used to have a pair of Om-10 which is basically an older Om-9, If you can get into the OM series, more power to you, but the omni's are just as nice while costing a bit less. Matching Mirage speakers to bright electronics will still make them sound warm, i love mirage for their very extended but tame high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks