What's new

Minority Report Trailers (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
With AOTC's opening Minority Report is, for my dollar, the most eagerly anticipated movie of the summer. The new trailer I saw before AOTC gives away a lot more of the story. Can't they leave much of the story's details for the film's opening? I hate when trailers show too much.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I agree it showed a lot, but it does it's job of whetting your appetite and I think it walks the fine line of not giving TOO much away. When I was watching it, I thought it looked like a big videogame. Much anticipated by me, that's for sure.

RyanF

Auditioning
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

When I first heard/saw MReport, I was disinterested to say the least.

But, now I think it looks pretty good. I don't think anything was necessarily revealed in the trailer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought way too much was given away. They should have stopped when Tom Cruise's character was scanned to be a pre-crime/thought-crime candidate and flashed a "What does he do now" angle.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The new one does extend to telling us a bit more about why Cruise is going to be wanted. I will say no more. If you don't want to know that then be careful.
Though if you are at AOTC and they have the sound cranked up GFL avoiding hearing stuff. :D
However, the trailers do have me pretty excited about the film. I don't like the "reason" aspect I just mentioned as I think it seems a bit too hack, but the general morality being explored is classic sci-fi material. Any good sci-fi is really dealing with the current morality/psychology of society disguised as pretend future stuff. Would we expect anything less from Dick's material. The guy writes some trippy, interesting stuff.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly what I thought as I clikced on this link: "Man, the trailer before AOTC gave away alot!";

What I have seen in some trailers is the misdirection ploy - where the trailer gives you this and that and the actual movie throws you a curveball (Vanilla Sky come to mind). I'll more than likely go see Minority Report in the theater as it's this year's A.I. for me.

Seth, we had the sound cranked in our viewing of AOTC too. It seemed unusually loud during the trailers but not so much during the movie. I suppose I'd adapted to the volume by that point.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Great, I will try to ignore the "Why" part. I really hate bad trailers. Look at the ones for "Enough". I don't even need to see that one now, I know how it ends and everything inbetween.

Now "Signs" has an awesome new trailer.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Too much info by far. There is in many (most?) trailers you see these days.

Whet our appetite, don't tell us the story... tease us with minor amounts of flash from the special effects, don't show all the good bits in the trailer.

Still, looks like it could be a good movie, even though I'm not a big fan of Cruise.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm in the minority (:D) here. I don't think the trailers have given away too much. I have faith that the story will be well written and have quite a few surprises in store.
BTW, Entertainment Tonight is having segments on MR all week. The segment last night showed some awsome looking special FX involving a gun that used some kind of energy knocking people about 15 feet through the air.
Very much looking forward to this movie.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A Spielberg Sci-Fi movie starring Tom Cruise? Wild horse could not keep me away from this one! Just the look of this movie is awesome.
Sci-fi fans rejoice! Our golden age is come!
--
Holadem

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I agree with most of what has been said here. Trailers should be designed to generate interest in an upcoming film, not spoil them be giving away too much (see: Robert Zemeckis, 'What Lies Beneath'). Time and again, expecially with comedies, some of the best lines/catch phrases are revealed in the trailer. When that line makes its appearance within the movie, we've all laughed enough at the line that it no longer has its punch.
Now, whenever a film that I really have my heart set on screening no matter what, such as 'Minority Report' or 'Signs', I try my best to avoid all forms of spoiler-prone material. If the film's trailer comes up in the theatre, I close my eyes and half-doze (particularly easy at the end of an exhaustive work day; as a bonus I miss those darn tv commercials too :) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks