What's new

Minority Report - I can't wait! (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The movie has my attention and I wish someone else besides Cruise was playing the lead.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
The movie has my attention and I wish someone else besides Cruise was playing the lead.
Just out of curiosity, why would you want somebody other than cruise?? Also, who would you replace him with? I think he will be great for this role, as he was in similar movies as MI1 and 2.

Raul_H

Grip
I am still trying to find out how the pre-crime system works. The website www.minorityreport.com and Link Removed are both very vague.
I'm very interested in reading Ron's review. Perhaps he can shed some light on this.
Here is why I am interested in knowing. Some spoilers in this.
At first I thought the pre-crime system was some sort of super computer that analyzed all past criminal data and our data such as our historical background, our enviromental background, and our genes, and then used this to predict who will commit a crime and then arrest them before they commit it. If that is the case then I think the story could have had an interesting philisophical viewpoint on determinism versus freewill. That is if everything is pre-determined by a causal relationship why not just arrest a person before they commit a crime that they are going to commit anyways. But then I read on a website that the pre-crime system is based on some sort of psychics called pre-cogs or some such. Which to me is lazy science fiction.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Raul,
I agree that in a way it could be called "lazy science fiction," but I don't really think science fiction is the main focus. It really comes down to whether we can -- or should-- get to the point of arresting someone prior to a crime being committed.
In some ways, we have reached that point with respect to potential sex crime violators being arrested before any actual crime has taken place. For example, law enforcement officials are using false identities on the internet in the hopes of catching perverts who strike up relationships with young children. A meeting is arranged at a hotel and then the person is arrested. While the intention is noble (catching criminals before any damage is done), you wonder if it is fair to the person being "caught" prior to the act. After all, perhaps he may have had second thoughts and decided not to do anything. Similarly, if my friend tells me over the internet that he is going to the store to shoplift, and the police intercept the message and arrest him as soon as he walks into the store, is that fair? Does intent become the crime or the act itself? (And it sounds as though Minority Report takes it a step further in arresting people prior to even having intent.)
My point is that this movie's premise sounds intriguing enough without the need for science fiction.

Raul_H

Grip
Point taken Brian. I guess the underlying message of the film is enough for me to want to see it in the theater. Which for me is pretty rare considering I loathe summer blockbuster films in general.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
A quote from Ron's review (it only alludes to general tone of the film, and not anything plot specific):
YES!!!!!!!!! This was exactly what I was hoping for. This mediocre score by Ron points to one big enjoyable flick for Paul. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As I stated, this film is going to appeal
to one sect of the audience rather than both.
Those who are looking for a Tom Cruise action
vehicle are going to be gravely disappointed.
Those looking for a sort of A.I. type
of story that unravels at a slower pace, will
probably get caught up in the story.
The premise is great, but I just wasn't
impressed with the delivery. There wasn't
anything edge-of-your-seat here.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer last night again for the 8 or 9 time, the music is just awesome. Comes out in the UK July 4

Guess I can wait that long as tomorrownight when the first SpiderMan previews are beginning.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Saw the trailer last night again for the 8 or 9 time, the music is just awesome.
I like the music in the trailer too, but I don't think it's from the film. According to Soundtrack.net, it was compiled from a couple different film scores. Can anyone that's seen the film confirm this? Any comments on Williams' original score for the film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks