What's new

Mini-Review: Yamaha HTR-5760 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

While we're on the topic of new Yamaha receivers, I just received a price quote from a California vendor on the new RX-V750. I was quoted a price of $539 + $29.90 shipping (to get it from California to Virginia.) The only "flag" that should be raised with this scenario is that Yamaha might not honor the warranty on the "RX-V" receivers since many of them don't get sold through authorized channels.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Also, it should be noted that there are some additional differences. The RX-V series offers:

- 12V triggers to power on external amps.
- A 3-year warranty on parts and labor vs. a 1-year warranty on the HTR series.
- Detachable power cords.
- The RX-V series is reserved for retailers with a brick and mortar presence and the HTR series is designed for mail order and for sale at cheaper retailers (e.g. Best Buy).

That's about all that I'm aware of. I'd really think twice about ordering an RX-V series receiver from an on-line vendor - unless they would provide the warranty coverage ... and they were reputable. While J&R shows the RX-V series receivers and prices on their Web site, they will not sell them via mail-order or Internet sales.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent Review Ernst!

I purchased the RX-V640 last month from my local Tweeter ETC, and could not be happier.
This model compares directly with the HTR-5660 that is sold at Best-Buy.
The Yamaha web site explains the difference between the RX-V and HTR series receivers. The RX-V's are sold through authorized merchants (Tweeter Etc's and the like), while the HTR's are sold through mass merchants such as Best Buy. I belive that the HTR's get gold lettering on the logos. When bought from a brick and motar store, RX-V's and HTR's all carry the full Yamaha warranty.
HTR's are called the "Concert Series" receivers. By my exploration of the Yamaha web site, there is no difference between the two lines other than asthetics (model number call out and logo color).

Best Regards, Al. Wise

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Al,

Actually, there are some major differences between them (12V triggers, longer warranty on the RX-V, etc.) Granted, it just depends on the consumer as to whether these differences are important or not.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Ernst and Friends,
The following was cut and pasted directly from the Yamaha web site under the frequently asked questions section of AV Rceivers:

What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?
There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality metal front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.

Al. Wise

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Al,

Thanks for providing the information. However, it's still not entirely true. If you go the receiver comparison sections for each respective area, you would see:

- RX-V receivers have detachable power cords
- RX-V receivers feature a 3-year warranty vs. 1-year on the HTR.
- RX-V receivers features 12V triggers vs. no triggers on the HTR series. (the lowest-level RX-V does not have the trigger.)

With those exceptions aside, I would say, yes - they are essentially the same receivers.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yamahas make splendid pre/pros too. I'll admit that a negative experience with the 5650 swayed me into the Yamaha haters club, but that chaged about a month ago. I was eyeing a Rotel amp but needed a cheap preamp. Found a Yamaha RXV630 listed here on HTF for a very reasonable price, and in the end, it coupled to my Rotel 1075 to me sounds much better than when my Pioneer Elite 53TX was acting as a preamp. It's strange. I'm not a fan of Yamaha's amplifier sections (at least of past), and my 630 is no exception, but once that was circumvented, this Yammie really shone...and continues to shine. I'm anxious to hear what the new Yamahas are like. If a local Best Buy/Future Shop has an open box, I might take it home just to try it out. It looks much more sophisticated too. I'm hoping too they drop SRP...the 5660 and the 5560 both ran $750CND here...

We'll see, but the future looks bright, and I'll keep my eyes (and ears open). Great review Wayne, and thanks for the pics.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Rajeev,

Thanks for pointing out that Best Buy has the 5790 in stock. At 34 Lbs., I suspect it ranks pretty close to the upper RX-V line. However, I'm just not sure who would pay $799 + tax from Best Buy when you can find the 5790 from one on-line vendor for $539 + $20 (or so) shipping. Even if Best Buy were generous enough to knock $100 off the price, it would still be a rip off. :)

Anyway, if someone locally were to pick the 5760 up off from me, I'd be glad to purchase the HTR-5790 and perform a review on it. However, believe it or not, the 5760 that I have is more than enough receiver for me at the moment. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Kevin,

Actually, the new RX-V650 and RX-V750 have the same look as the new HTR-5760. I suspect what you meant to say was that you preferred the look of the RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 receivers. I kind of would, too. However, I still think the "new" look of these new Yamahas look better than the previous line of HTRs that they replaced.

Brian Zamen

Agent
Where are you finding the 5760 for $349?

I am not sure whether I want to get the 5760, the 2400 or the 750.

They all seem to be similar. However, if the 5760 is going for $349 that seems to be a steal.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
Well. as some of you read I got the receiver (5760) the same day wayne did, Man I got to tell this thing is nice, I finally got around to hooking my dvd player up to my system , I was using my x-box the last few weeks as my dvd player, we had moved recently..this reciever is blowing me away (it replaced a sony de-835) I am hearing things that i have never heard before with the sony and the harder I push it the cleaner things get, if any of you guys are looking at this puppy all I can tell you is buy it, I am amazed at the difference between it and the sony. The features are a little different than the sony, the sony had a few more tweaks but this yammy dial's in so nice, best purchase I have made in some time.

Brian Zamen

Agent
doing a little more reading appears the 5790 has a few more inputs and also will upconvert to component where as the 5760 will only upconvert to svideo

I think I am going to get a Yamaha for sure it is just a matter of finding the best deal at this point.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Here's a link to the vendor who has the HTR-5760 for $349.00 and the HTR-5790 for $539.00, respectively. Plus, their shipping rates are very, very reasonable from what I could tell after adding the receiver to my shopping cart.

Etail Electronics

It looks like their HTR-5760 is temporarily out of stock at the moment. However, they did have stock earlier this week. I've never used this vendor before, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I'm just passing along their great price because someone shared the vendor with me over at the AVSForum.

Also, it should be noted, last evening I was at a local Best Buy store and that particular store had the HTR-5740, 5760 and the 5790 on the shelf already. If anyone is considering one of the new Yamaha receivers, you might want to swing by your local Best Buy first.

Also, I wanted to point out a few features that I've discovered and didn't include in the original review:

* 192kHz/24-bit DACSs (all channels) were added to this receiver
* Lip synch "adjustments" can be made to ensure your sound is in synch with your video.
* Dialog lift. When used in conjunction with the presence speakers, some of the dialog will be diverted from the center channel to the presence channel (if you have those speakers installed.)
* Source direct: As other receivers have added this option, so has Yamaha. You can now bypass any manipulation features and listen to stereo in this mode, if you desire.

Brian Zamen

Agent
Does the 5790 have all the same features as the RX series?

I read some other threads about the feature differences in the 5760 and the RX series.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, i bought mine at best buy its a little more but you can take it back within 30 days like i did with the 5660, When i went to get the unit they were still boxed up on top of a display, they hadnt put them out yet, the guy had to get a latter to get it, he told me the unit was silver but when i got home it was black which is o.k by me.

Chad K

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Brian, before you decide to purchase the Yamaha HTR-5790, I highly recommend you give Yamaha a call and ask them which RX series model the 5790 is similar to. My hunch is its an equivalent of the RX-V1400, and if so, I suggest you ask them what the difference is between the HTR-5790 and RX-V1400.

When I called Yamaha Canada about a question I had concerning my RX-V2400, I spoke to an extremely knowledgeable service manager who turned out to be very helpful. I may give him a call again and ask him if he knows how the the HTR-5790 compares to the RX-V1400.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at the back panel of the 1400 and the 5790, I cant tell any differences. It even has pre-outs unlike the 5590, the 1300 did have them. And looks like the new 5790 also has detachable power cord like the 1400.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rajeev,

You are correct:

- The HTR-5790 does include the separate power cord and the 12V trigger for using an external amp.

I'm not sure about how Yamaha is regarding on-line sales of their RX-V1400 receiver. I've spotted it as low as $560 (or so) + shipping when I was looking for a new receiver. However, since the HTR-5790 can be had for a bit less, it might be a better move because the warranty would be honored by Yamaha.

Then again, one would have to like the looks of the HTR-5790 over the RX-V1400 also. The 1400 has a nice little door to conceal some of the buttons and inputs for that receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks