What's new

Mini-Review: Yamaha HTR-5760 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
As some of you may have read in some other threads, I ordered one of the new Yamaha HTR-5760 receivers. After chasing down the UPS delivery driver, I presented the tag he left on my door and took my receiver home. And, who said I wasn't a persistant kind of guy?

Anyway, allow me to explain a few observations regarding this new receiver. But, first, let me present this receiver with a very enthusiastic "two thumbs up" approval.

Construction: Basic, black plastic face. Very solid feel in general. A look inside the air vents on the top revealed a larger power transformer (when compared to the HTR-5650 receiver. Also, the heat sinks are a bit larger in the 5760 and also made of cast aluminum, whereas, the heatsinks in the 5650 were just made out of a thin sheet of stamped aluminum.

Looks/Appearance: Striking. After all the other manufacturers jumping on the silver bandwagon, I'm glad this model was still available in basic black. :) Yamaha also made some front panel layout changes which have altered the appearance a bit.

Sound: Very nice. Has a good "punch" to it while also sounding detailed. I found that with the H/K AVR-7200, it wasn't so good for the music I wanted to listen to (light jazz - Russ Freeman, etc.) However, the Yamaha shines in this area for me. Also, with my setup, the Yamaha (HTR-5650) has a much cleaner dialogue when it comes to movies. I've found that with the Yamaha receivers, I can do more with less volume - with the dialogue being cleaner, I don't have to skip back a few seconds in a movie. This adds greatly to the overall effect and satisfaction that I get when watching a movie. I don't have the option to "A/B" the 5650 and the 5760, but to me, it does appear the sound is a bit better on the 5760. However, this could greatly be attributed to the ability to adjust the subwoofer crossover on the 5760.

"Wow" Features:
- YPAO (allows you to automatically setup your system via a microphone and a few minutes of time.) However, the YPAO feature adjusted my (2) Shiva subs with a crossover point of 120 Hz. Even though YPAO is an option, it still can't do it all for us. I then toggled over to the crossover and set it to 80 Hz.

* Phase adjustment: This might be a great feature for those of us who build our own subs and use pro audio amps. There is the option to change the phase for the subwoofer between "normal" and "reverse."

* Subwoofer crossover: 9 settings between 40Hz and 200Hz.

* Refined volume control: Greater accuracy. The previous Yamaha receivers that I was familiar with would jump in 1dB increments. However, the 5760 jumps in .5dB increments for greater control over your level of sound.

* On-Screen display: Finally, this feature becomes available in the "mid" line of HTR receivers from Yamaha. There are three settings: 1) Detailed: for getting into the setup area of the receiver, 2) Brief: Displays limited receiver information in the lower right-hand corner of your screen (volume level changes, etc.) and 3) Off.

* DSP control: Due to the on-screen display option, we now can adjust many of the DSPs that Yamaha provides us with. Such settings we can change are the dB level, liveness and a few other settings. Each DSP has some variation in the amount of change that you can apply. However, the ability to "customize" the DSPs just might mean that you may now find some useful to your situation.

* Remote control: While the size and button layout did not change on this new remote vs. the remote that comes with the HTR-5650, the button colors and backgrounds have. It's now easier to find the right button when you look at the remote because it just seems more logical with the colors that have been assigned to it.

* Volume level: One more comment on the volume level. Previously, the HTR-5650 would go from -100 down to 0. Now, the HTR-5760 goes from -80dB to + ?? (I'm not sure of the final resting spot because at that point, things were loud and it was after 10:00 P.M.)

* Zone 2 output: Yamaha indicates on their Web site that this receiver does not have zone 2 capability. However, this is not fully true. You can configure your "B" front speakers to be directed to a 2nd zone. Also, you have to configure the option under the speaker settings in the OSD menu. Selecting the "B" speakers and turning off the "A" switch will disable all sounds and the subwoofer in your primary listening area and direct sound to the 2nd zone.

OK, enough babble. Now for some pictures:

Front: As you can see, the HTR-5760 (right receiver) is a bit bigger than the HTR-5650. Approx. 1/2" higher, 1" deeper than the earlier model.

Rear: As you can see (HTR-5760 is on the right), more connections are given to us on the 5760. Also, note the "presence" speaker outputs. You can connect two more front speakers to add additional presence to your sounds when watching movies.

Remote controls: The remote for the HTR-5760 is on the right. Notice the colors on the buttons and the better borders on the new remote (HTR-5760 remote is on the right) - which allows you to find the right button without excessive searching on the remote itself.

OK, I think I've said enough. I'll be glad to answer any questions that any of you might have regarding this receiver.

Enjoy! :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Now that I've had a little sleep and am in the process of injecting more caffeine into my body, I guess I should clarify why I have the receiver a very "enthusiastic two thumbs up" rating.

1) Zone 2 use: As I indicated, there is a way to direct sounds to zone 2. What's best is that it is so simplified in the process. Hit 2 buttons on the face of the receiver (turn speaker "a" off and "b" on - that's it!) With the H/K AVR-7200, you had to do a series of clicks to get the sound turned on. Granted, I could have sprung for RF repeater and used the zone 2 remote in zone 2 as designed. But, I didn't feel that I should need to do this. Also, the Zone 2 outputs on many receivers (read: Denon, H/K and I'm sure even the Yamaha receivers with specific zone #2 outputs) require you to feed an analog source into the receiver to play CD material in zone 2. However, with the simplified version that Yamaha has provided us with this receiver, you can still use your digital connection and that's it. Plus, with the way Zone 2 has been applied with this receiver, I don't have to sacrifice the back 2 channels to the zone 2 outputs.

2) Value: I believe this receiver packs a lot of value into its offering. 7 amplified channels, zone #2, etc., control over the crossover, phase control, YPAO, along with many other refinements. This receiver can now be purchased from one on-line vendor for $349 + shipping (which was a modest $17 and change - when I checked shipping to my zip code which is 1,400 miles from this vendor.)

3) "Right-sized": For me, my H/K AVR-7200, while also a great value, just wasn't sized appropriately for my needs. The H/K consumed a massive amount of cabinet space, consumed a lot of power and produced a lot of heat -- even when not being driven to very high levels. I had even gone as far as purchasing the H/K AVR-430 (then changed my mind to the 630) but, cancelled my order and paid some fees to a vendor to get out of the auction purchase that I had made in order to jump over to the Yamaha.

Well, those are my three biggest concerns which were met with this receiver - and those three items are not in any sales brochure or product comparison chart. However, they are things that matter to me and lead me to believe that I made a very good decision in purchasing this receiver.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Yamaha rocks! I love the sound quality of my RX-V2400 and I've auditioned H/K and Denon. Great review Wayne! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Great review Wayne. Could you post a link for this receiver because I wasn't able to find it on Yamaha'a site & when I tried doing a price search on it I also came up with nothing? Thanks

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
This receiver physically resembles the Sony 2/3/3/5/7 ES AVRs.

I prefer the look of this piece to the look of Yamaha's stuff over the last few years. Sounds like a great price/performance AVR.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
NUTS NO PHONO INPUT but it still looks like it could be one of the lower-priced receivers to beat ;) & it does have a lot of features for the price & the only drawback I see is the lack of total audio inputs.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Chad,

From what I've been able to gather, it looks like the 5760 and RX-V650 are alike with one small exception - the 650 has a 12V "trigger" to power on external devices such as an amp.

There could be a few small other differences, but from my research, I couldn't find any.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
What is the point of making the HTR and RX series then. They look the same to me. Just odd since I can't think of any other company that does that.....

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Denon does something very similar. In addition to the model numbers 1804, 2803, 3805, etc, they have an entirely different set of model numbers for the same units, sold by certain retailers.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Very good question Chad. As an owner of the RX-V2400 I'd really like to know how it compares to the HTR-5790 which has an MSRP of $200 less than the RX-V2400 ($799 vs. $999). I think I'm going to drop Yamaha a line and ask them what the difference is between the HTR-5790 and the RX-V2400.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Great review, Wayne. It’s amazing what $350 can buy! Used to be those extra front effects speakers only came on Yamaha’s flagship products. The back panel of this thing looks as busy as my older DSP-A3090 flaship unit! Ain’t technology grand! :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Muneebm,
Some things that I think the 2400 has that the 5790 doesn't are:
12 volt trigger, IR in/out, RS-232c, Macro learning?,

I am sure there are some other small things. I did a quick comparison of the HTR5760/RX-650, HTR5750/RXv550, HTR5740/RXV450 and each seem to be the same just a different model name.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, very funny I just posted a question about the 5760, look at my post maybe you can help, i had the 5660 for 2 weeks and saw that this just came out so i too it back and got this 5760, the only thing between the two is that i have to CRANK the volume more on this unit for more sound, I am going to about -24.00db for the same amount of sound that my 5660 had around -40.00db ? any ideas ?

I think I answed my own question

Well after a little looking I think it is becuase i used the ypao for set up and it changed levels a little different than I did, I also see in your post that it went from -80 to +(15)

so there is my difference. so far it is great ! I just threw in the eagles dvd and did some tweaking, volume was around -19 to-14 and man is it clean, I can tell a big difference in this amp versus the 5660.

ck

Thanks
Chad K

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Chad,

Actually, I did note this situation under the "volume" section in my original post above. The old 5660 would go from -100 to 0. The new 5760 goes from -80 to I suspect +20 or so. Even though you are cranking it at -24dB, you still have a ways to go. Go ahead ... crank it some more, there's still room. :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks