What's new

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tooncy said:
As mentioned earlier, what a lot of the studios don't get is, some shows are more fondly remembered in mid-to-later seasons. For some series that ran 6 or 10 years, they might do better by releasing one of the middle seasons first, then branching out from there.
I think "Best of" sets probably accomplish much more than releasing out of order. It might just be me... like what they did with The Smother's Brothers show. It felt strange.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Mark-P said:
Amazon is listing the Bewitched seasons as having 3 discs each. Unless those are DVD-18s, there are going to be compression issues fitting 36 episodes onto 3 discs. I sure am glad that I already got the whole series from the Sony releases!
Millcreek's motto seems to be "quantity over quality."
They're aiming at the casual consumer who may have felt a TV show (like Bewitched for example) was not worthy enough to spend $25 when it originally came out on DVD but would make an impulse buy if they saw it at Target or Walmart or a gas station convenience stores if it was under $10--sometimes $5.
These type of DVDs would be perfect for taking on road trips where the kids can watch it in the car on a small portable DVD player where the image compression isn't noticeable. Definitely not for big screen plasma TVs.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. I will withhold my official judgement until I actually see the DVDs. The interesting part is, some of these have been remastered into HD since their original release (Charlie's Angels for sure). Will the new masters be used by Mill Creek?

gtrekker

Auditioning
Real Name
Gulfam
I've pre-ordered Charlie's Angels season 1.

According to Amazon, there will be 4 discs with episodes spread out as follows:
Disc 1:
Pilot
Hellride
The Mexican Connection
Night Of The Strangler
Angels In Chains
Target: Angels
Disc 2:
The Killing Kind
To Kill An Angel
Lady Killer
Bullseye
Consenting Adults
Disc 3:
The Seance
Angels On Wheels
Angel Trap
The Big Tap Out
Angels On A String
Dirty Business
Disc 4:
The Vegas Connection
Terror On Ward One
Dancing In The Dark
I Will Be Remembered
Angels At Sea
Blue Angels
4 discs compared to the previous release which had 5 discs. That set also had an "Angels Forever" featurette which might not have made it to this release.

Tooncy

Second Unit
It says "Pilot" as the first episode on disc one. That would be the original pilot, since there was no other one.

gtrekker

Auditioning
Real Name
Gulfam
Tooncy said:
It says "Pilot" as the first episode on disc one. That would be the original pilot, since there was no other one.
Cheers, yeah I had a quick look on wikipedia and changed my original post :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Looking at the rerelease spec, at least for Bewitched, they are putting about 13 episodes per disk, I wonder if they are using Flippers, or if they are just cramming the shows on a dual layer disk which mean some terribly compressed video. Either way I think I will be seeking out the sony releases, buy the complete series set.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's 70s Show from MC is a little disappointing. The trick or treat episode they do with all the nifty Hitchcock plays jerky like overcompression. :( I'm glad I have them to watch but if I'd known I maybe would have tried to pick up the original releases.

At least I can feel good about things I paid more for originally, like all the Bewitched sets, most of the Roseanne and all the 3rd rock from the Suns.

Tooncy

Second Unit
The compression issues are a lot more obvious when the source material is HD. Something I've noticed.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Amazon listing for Bewitched, Mill Creek is including the two season 1 episodes broadcast during season 2 with a new first scene to accommodate Elizabeth Montgomery's pregnancy in the Season 2 set just like Sony did. What this means is there are 38 season 2 episodes on three discs. Two discs have 13 episodes and the third has 12 episodes. My concern about so many episodes on the discs would be that there would be more of a chance for the shows freezing or skipping. The complete series set released by Sony has been as cheap as $20 at Costco. However the first two seasons in that set are the colorized versions. To me Bewitched started out as a romantic comedy and changed to a children's show in its later years. I really like the first two seasons.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Geez. Almost worth buying it for a backup. I actually got an extra DVD stuck in my Season 1 of the original release. It included all the DVDs and one extra one with Paul Lynde on it. Maybe it came from Paul from the great beeeeeyond! :unsure: Thanks Paul...?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And I Dream of Jeannie complete series is just over $18 - same vendor. Both this and the Bewitched sets are the original *Sony* discs in the stacked disc format they've used for others (Married with Children, Sanford and Son, etc.). While inconvenient, I've not had any issues with scratched/damaged disks with the sets I own in this packaging. I actually like it better than those nasty cardboard sleves/pages so common with larger collections.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The second batch of releases have been announced, the following will be released on February 4:

The Ellen Show Complete Series
The Tick Complete Series

TVShowsOnDVD has yet to post any info about these releases, they are falling behind.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Radioman970 said:
Geez. Almost worth buying it for a backup. I actually got an extra DVD stuck in my Season 1 of the original release. It included all the DVDs and one extra one with Paul Lynde on it. Maybe it came from Paul from the great beeeeeyond! :unsure: Thanks Paul...?
I will never forget Jethro giving him fits when he cameo'd on The Beverly Hillbillies as a passport agent when the Clampetts wanted to go to England. Here's everyone but Jed dressed up in costume (thinking they were dressed appropriate for England) and poor Paul wound up thinking he was on Candid Camera! Touching his pencil to his nose, he asks "Sir Jethro, is this a rib?" Jethro replied "no, sir, that's a nose!"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ron1973 said:
I will never forget Jethro giving him fits when he cameo'd on The Beverly Hillbillies as a passport agent when the Clampetts wanted to go to England. Here's everyone but Jed dressed up in costume (thinking they were dressed appropriate for England) and poor Paul wound up thinking he was on Candid Camera! Touching his pencil to his nose, he asks "Sir Jethro, is this a rib?" Jethro replied "no, sir, that's a nose!"
That's one show I miss so much. We never missed the reruns so there's no telling how many times I've seen that episode but still don't remember a thing about it. As a kid I probably didn't get the "rib" reference. But seeing Jed there dressed in his usual... well that would have me smiling.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I just left Wal-Mart and they had all of the Mill Creek season sets for $5 each, including the ones that are supposed to be released in February.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Tooncy said:
I just left Wal-Mart and they had all of the Mill Creek season sets for $5 each, including the ones that are supposed to be released in February.

were they in the $5 bin?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks