What's new

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I took some screen captures to make a comparison.
The Mill Creek cap has a slightly softer image.
The grey scale looks the same on both so probably the same transfers.
snapshot20140121172355.jpg

snapshot20140121173002.jpg

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
That's stupid! Why would Sony just turn the color off for the B&W episodes on their DVD sets? In fact, how can one tell the difference between fake B&W and genuine B&W?

Any other B&W shows that have been colorized that were affected by this on DVD?

Tooncy

Second Unit
Probably because they were remastered for the colorization, and Sony didn't want to remaster them again. From the screenshots, I honestly can't see a difference between the Sony and Mill Creek.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I also remember reading some reviews from people who own the old Bewitched VHS tapes from the Columbia House Home Video collections, and they said the b&w episodes looked better on the tapes than the ones on DVD. If I can find the quotes again, I'll post them.
Tooncy said:
From the screenshots, I honestly can't see a difference between the Sony and Mill Creek.
I agree. The differences are barely noticeable. In the kitchen scene cap, you can see that there is slightly more detail on the wallpaper behind Darrin by the lightswitch, and in the window blinds behind Samantha.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tooncy said:
Probably because they were remastered for the colorization, and Sony didn't want to remaster them again. From the screenshots, I honestly can't see a difference between the Sony and Mill Creek.
Ron Lee Green said:
I agree. The differences are barely noticeable. In the kitchen scene cap, you can see that there is slightly more detail on the wallpaper behind Darrin by the lightswitch, and in the window blinds behind Samantha.
I'd call it more than barely noticeable. I see significant differences in detail with the Sony caps being the better. The MC images also look "brighter" with a bit less contrast - what you would get with a slightly higher gamma output. Would I still notice that on the actual moving images? I probably would but in all honesty I doubt I'd give it much thought unless I did a back-to-back comparison. I can safely say my wife would *not* see *any* differences in the images. But I worked in broadcasting for over 20 years and am trained to notice such differences. My wife doesn't notice stuff that drives me up the wall. Your basic WM customer will not notice at all...

Tooncy

Second Unit
I haven't seen the Sony black and white Bewitched (I have the colorized sets). But if the black and white sets have the 1966 opening titles like the colorized does, then they almost definitely just turned the color off to create them. The 1966 titles wouldn't have been black and white.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ron Lee Green said:
...Comes in a standard size DVD amaray case.
The 6 discs are on a hub--no sleeves, so you have to remove them all if you want to get to the last disc...

...The picture quality is very good considering how many episodes are on one disc...
These are single-sided? So roughly 12 episodes per side? Jeesh, I thought the Donna Reed Show sets were pushing it with 10 episodes per disc. The bit-rate must be abysmal at 5 hours per disc side.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The third batch of releases have been announced:

March 4

Starsky & Hutch- Season 1

April 1

Action- Complete Series
I Dream of Jeannie- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2
Married... with Children- Season 3, Season 4, Seasons 3&4
Newsradio- Seasons 1&2
TJ Hooker- Seasons 1&2

April 29

Godzilla: The Series- Complete Series

It looks like the initial Married... with Children releases sold well as these releases come just two months after the first ones. It will be interesting to see whether Seasons 3 & 4 have the theme song intact for Married.. with Children, kinda doubful if the Sony releases didn't have it?!

TJ Hooker is one of Sony's stalled shows, they only released the first two seasons, hopefully Mill Creek releases the rest down the road. I was hoping to see The Jeffersons, maybe in the next batch of releases?!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
IntoIt said:
That's stupid! Why would Sony just turn the color off for the B&W episodes on their DVD sets? In fact, how can one tell the difference between fake B&W and genuine B&W?

Any other B&W shows that have been colorized that were affected by this on DVD?
On the Sony sets the B&W opening credits include the copy write information for the colorized version which lead to the idea that the black and white set was the colorized set with the color turned off. The grey scale of the original B&W is adjusted when an image is colorized so that the result looks brighter. You are placing color over grey some of the grey is going to bled through so they try to minimize it.

An Amazon review of the new set says the colorized copy write is not on the B&W opening credits. However the opening credits are still the 3rd season version with the color turned off.

Season 1 of I Dream of Jeannie comes to mind as another series where the B&W version is the colorized version without the color. Those are the only 2 series that have two versions of seasons that were colorized and also released in B&W.

Tooncy

Second Unit
The Wal-Mart I saw these at took down the display and tossed what was left in the $5 bins with the rest of the movies. I may have been wrong about News Radio, it was Wings instead. I picked up Starsky & Hutch, Adventures of Robin Hood and Charlie's Angels. They look okay, but of course there are digital artifacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks