What's new

Miles Davis Cookin' (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just got my SACD of Miles Davis' classic album Cookin'. Highly recommended documentation of the classic quintet, um, cooking.

Anyway, it sounds really great. It is also a hybrid. However, I already own the 20-bit "commemorative" edition of the same album on CD. Has anyone heard these back-to-back and offer their opinion comparing the CD and the CD layer of the SACD? I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the CD.

Part of me wants to keep it just because it may be a limited edition disc, but I only like having two of the exact same music.

In general, do you guys have the CD versions of albums you have on high-res formats?

NP: Bach, Brandenburg Concertos, DVD-A

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
I love this disc. I usually only buy SACD if I know it is coming out. Actually, I have been making an exception because I purchased some Rudy Van Gelder editions of classics since Tower had a $8.99 sale.
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, thanks for the info. on the Cookin' SACD. I haven't seen the SACD in a store yet, but I've been thinking of picking up the commemorative CD at the very least.

I have the CD versions of every album I have on SACD. I buy SACDs of music I like, and because of this, I often want to listen to this music in the car and at work. SACDs do me no good outside of my house. Of course, with hybrid discs, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

Yeah, with the hybrids, you don't need the CD. But in this case, I already owned the CD before getting the hybrid. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to sell it (I always insist on getting rid of stuff I won't listen to).

This same thing will pop with Bill Evan's Waltz for Debby and Sonny Rollin's Way Out West, which are also hybrid SACDs and I also have the fancy CD versions.

NP: Peter Gabriel, So, remastered CD, which if it comes out on high-res would create the same quandry.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I actually do have the standard CD version of some hybrids. Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven and Telarc's The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith are examples. I've decided to keep them. When I want that music for the car or office, I grab the regular CDs.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, why did you keep the redbooks if you can play the SACDs in the car? (Just asking because this is the reason I started the thread) Is it because you don't want to risk damaging the SACD?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, we're only talking about a few CDs that I also have as hybrid discs. I've read that the SACD format is more sensitive to scratches than the CD due to the smaller pit size on the former, so I don't really like taking hybrid SACDs in the car.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, didn't know about the sensitivity issues. I'm also not comfortable with the idea of taking SACDs in the car. However, I could also burn the CD layer onto a CD-R. In fact, I'm probably gonna do that with all of my hybrids and some of my limited edition or rare CDs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I just read that the SACD format is more sensitive to scratches, but I don't know if that is true. For CDs I really like, I will make copies to CD-Rs and then leave the copies in the car or office. I've also been copying rare and other out-of-print CDs to CD-Rs. I like to preserve the originals.

NP: B.B. King & Eric Clapton Riding With The King CD

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Why not just make dubs of the SACD's using a CD-R instead of buying every one of them twice? I mean, it constitutes fair use. Is there something I'm missing?
-Aaron :confused:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, that's pretty much what I'm going to do. But I was talking about if you already own the CD, then the SACD comes out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, dubbing in the analog domain can be a pain. As long as I like the album, I don't mind buying the CD. That's just me. In fact, if I am unfamiliar with the music on an SACD, I will sometimes buy the CD first since I can get it cheaper. If I like the music, then I'll buy the SACD. As an example, I heard some good things a few months back about the Chris Botti Night Sessions SACD. I love jazz trumpet, but I was not familiar with any of Botti's solo efforts, so I bought the CD at Best Buy for $9. Only when I listened to the CD a few times and decided that I liked the music and the sound quality did I pick up the SACD. I did the same thing with Keb' Mo' The Door. Finally, the audiophile part of me likes to compare the CD and SACD once in awhile.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No comments on my original mono mix DCC "Cookin'"? I also have "Workin'", "The Musings of Miles", and "The New Miles Davis Quintet". They all sound -very- good.
NP: The 77s: Late

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

I can understand that... I'd rather just buy the SACD and take my chances personally, but I have a rather small collection thus far.

I just wish sony would release multi-layer discs. It'd make things a lot easier. *sigh*

-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron said:
I just wish sony would release multi-layer discs. It'd make things a lot easier.
True, but that would mean Sony were good at marketing its proprietary formats, in which case we would all have Betamax machines in our home theaters. :)

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah.. Sony has quite the history. If SACD is an obscure format in 4 years thats going to really stink. *shrug* What ya gonna do?

-Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks