What's new

Question about original track listing on *Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet*. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Last week, I received the 20-bit K2 remaster of Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet from BMG. Here is the track listing for this disc:

1) "My Funny Valentine"
2) "Blues By Five"
3) "Airegin"
4) "Tune-Up/When Lights Are Low"

Tonight, I found a sealed copy of the DCC Gold CD version in a local record store, which shocked me since it has been out of print for awhile. Anyway, here is the track listing for this disc:

1) "My Funny Valentine"
2) "Studio Chatter" (just 23 seconds)
3) "Blues By Five"
4) "Airegin"
5) "Tune Up/When Lights Are Low"
6) "Just Squeeze Me"

The back cover of the 20-bit K2 remaster says that the four tracks were recorded on October 26, 1956 in Hackensack, New Jersey. The back cover of the DCC Gold CD says this about all the tracks, except for "Just Squeeze Me". The back cover says this track was recorded on November 16, 1955.

I have two basic questions:

1) Is either track listing representative of what appeared on the original LP? If so, which one is representative?

2) What track listings appear on the standard CD, XRCD, and SACD?

Thanks in advance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The back cover of the booklet that comes with the DCC Gold CD shows what looks to be a reproduction of the original LP back cover. It lists "Just Squeeze Me", but not "Studio Chatter". Was "Just Squeeze Me" included on the original LP?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Keith,
I have the K2. Throw it away once you have the SACD from APO. The new issue is superb! Chad's team has done it again.
SACD Track listings:
1. My Funny Valentine 6:00
2. Studio Chatter/False Start 0:23
3. Blues By Five 9:56
4. Airegin 4:24
5. Tune-Up/When The Lights Are Low 13:10
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for the comments. I assume you are referring to the SACD layer only. What are your thoughts on the CD layer? Did you ever compare it to the K2 version? The issue, of course, is not just the mastering technology, but also the mastering engineer at the helm. JVC's 20-bit K2 technology is supposed to be excellent, but Steve Hoffman is da man. Plus, I imagine he created the CD layer by converting DSD to 16/44.1 PCM. If so, then we have great technology and a genius combining on what has to be a great CD layer. :D
So, the SACD does not have "Just Squeeze Me"? Interesting.
I definitely plan on getting the SACD, however, I will not throw away any other version I might pick up along the way. As you may know, I am a bit of a collector. I only got the K2 version of Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet last week as my first exposure to this classic title, and I loved the music immediately. As a collector, I decided that I had to get the DCC Gold CD, but I really wanted a sealed copy and didn't want to go broke getting it. Well, last night, I went into an independent record store in my area. The great thing about independent record stores is that they sometimes have holdovers of long-out-of-print material, whereas the major stores get rid of this stuff right away. Anyway, this independent record store had just one DCC Gold CD throughout the entire store, and wouldn't you know it, it was a sealed copy of Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet for $24.99! I obviously didn't hesitate to grab it. Sure, I can buy the SACD for the same price, but I'll get it anyway. ;) The SACD is readily available, so I can get it anytime, but there was no way I was going to pass on a sealed copy of the DCC Gold CD. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks