The Miles Davis *Cookin'* SACD has made my day!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Feb 14, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I finally got the Miles Davis Cookin' SACD, and let me tell you it is phenomenal! Wow! Of course the music is great, but the sound is top-notch. I have the 20-bit K2 and DCC gold CDs of Cookin', but I have no desire to compare them to the SACD. At this point, I have no desire to compare the CD and SACD layers. The SACD layer just cooks! (Pun intended.) If you like Miles, you must get this SACD! Miles sounds like he is right there, and each instrument has an incredibly real quality. Amazing for such an old recording. Simply amazing.

By the way, I also just got the CCR Cosmo's Factory SACD, and it too is wonderful. I have no desire right now to compare this SACD to my CD copies (standard Fantasy, 20-bit K2, DCC gold, or CD layer on the hybrid disc). "Ramble Tamble" on the SACD made me want to get up and boogie. [​IMG]

2. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Thanks for the review Keith. I have been thinking about this one lately. I actually had it in my hands not too long ago(the K2 version) but put it down and told myself to wait for the SACD. All I need to do is find an affordable place to import it.

Regards
    KrisM

NP Sonny Rollins - Way Out West/Saxaphone Collosus

3. Michael St. Clair

Sell me your DCC golds. [​IMG]

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

KeithH - I will definitely second the motion for the "Cookin" SACD. Simply wonderful. I was listening to this disc on Wednesday night and just enjoyed it.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kris,

I hear you. The Analogue Productions SACDs are expensive enough here in the US. I bought Cookin' a few weeks ago through towerrecords.com when they were having a 25%-off sale. Even then, the disc was $18.74. I am glad I waited for the sale, however. On several occasions, I had the SACD in my hand at a Tower Records store and held off at $25. I figured I would find it on sale eventually. Keep your eyes peeled for a sale.

As for the K2 version, I got it free from BMG, so I'll hold onto it. At some point, maybe I'll get around to doing a Cookin' shootout.

Michael,

Thanks for the offer, but I am going to hold onto the gold CDs. For one thing, I am a collector. Secondly, I haven't yet compared them to the SACDs. I think I know what the result will be, but I still love those DCC CDs. Steve Hoffman is just an exceptional talent.

6. Michael St. Clair

Keith,

I didn't actually think for a second you'd sell them. [​IMG]

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have that SACD/CD. It's good. I recommend it.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

AP sure knows how to make 'em, don't they? I am loving every one of their discs, especially Cookin'.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

I guess you know me too well. [​IMG]

Mike,

I regularly complain about the price of Analogue Productions SACDs, and I still feel that they are overpriced, but they sound darn good.

10. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

All right, here goes. Which Miles SACD would you guys recommend for someone who has not yet been "enlightened" by Miles? I'm not gonna get into what I do like, but my roots are in classic rock and I know there is some jazz out there that I like. I'm trying to broaden my horizons [​IMG] .

Thanks.

Doug

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, you can never go wrong with some of Miles' early classics like Cookin', Kind of Blue, and Round About Midnight, all of which are available on SACD. Since you like classic rock, you might want to look into titles from his fusion era and just before the fusion era. For just pre-fusion, look at Filles de Kilimanjaro, Nefertiti, and Sorcerer. Unfortunately, none of these titles are available as domestic SACDs, but I believe they are available on SACDs from Japan (legitimate Sony SACDs; check www.hmv.co.jp).

For fusion, definitely check out In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew. The former is available on a domestic SACD, while the latter is available on a Japanese SACD (JSACD). Bitches Brew is supposed to be coming to SACD here too, but no release date has been announced yet.

Another Miles fusion title I like, though it is a bit out there, is On the Corner. It's not as good as In A Silent Way or Bitches Brew, but it is a great effort. I would say Miles was all over the place in 1972, when On the Corner was released, but I still like it.

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Thanks for the recs, Keith. I actually was gonna purchase Kind of Blue a couple of weeks ago but accidentally left it off the list (but did get 10 other discs, so all was not lost [​IMG] ).

Doug

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Doug_B, you can't go wrong with Kind of Blue, if at least because it's the single most popular jazz album of all time.

My personal favorite, however, is Miles Smiles.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, no problem. As much as I like Kind of Blue, I prefer Miles' fusion titles. I can't get enough of In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew. If you get those titles and want more, check out the accompanying box sets (The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions and The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions). They are excellent as well.